Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 2003 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Insurance
« on: November 21, 2016, 10:45:06 AM »

I now live in VA and moving to GA. Getting quotes on insurance and finding out the price is over double from VA. And good leads to get a better price?
Bill

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 11:09:22 AM »

I have found that it's generally cheaper to get insurance from the same company for all insurance needs. Homeowners, car, bike etc. But there can be many variables affecting pricing.
Are you moving from a low claim area like in the country vs. urban area such as Atlanta? Accident rates as well as theft rates in an area can drive up prices as well as amount of claims in a particular area.
State Farm used to lump all my vehicles into a multi car discount but since I have a daily driver, classic car and a bike they separated the policies and I lost the multi car discount but they then turned around and gave me low mileage discounts, go figure?

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 11:11:11 AM »

Moving to Blairsvlle. Pretty much in the country.
Bill

bigjohn63

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2011 roadglide ultra
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 12:02:03 PM »

we got dairyland from our insurcan guy and its cheap  for 2 bike full cover

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 12:31:18 PM »

I tried daryland and for a 2017 CVO Limited it was $950. I have a clean record and an 825 credit score.
Bill

bigjohn63

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2011 roadglide ultra
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 12:35:25 PM »

guess its cheap for 2 bikes then

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 01:03:43 PM »

Don't know about rates in GA but I've had Foremost for my bikes for over 10 years.  Prior to them I had Dairyland and Progressive I think it was.  They seemed to jack up the rates even though no claims or tickets, etc.  Foremost has been very, very good about keeping the rates in line all this time.  Just my experience of course.  Others may vary.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 04:11:53 PM »

Please look at the coverages you are getting. Do not buy insurance based on bottom line. So many people respond with "I have full coverage". Their is no such thing as full coverage, this type policy is what is required by the lender to cover them, and not what is possibly a good fit for you.
I have a neighbor who is so proud of his low rates but only has $10K liab coverage. What kind of car/truck/whatever costs $10K or less if you cause a wreck and it gets totalled? Nothing and you will pay the remainder of that guys car out of your pocket.  You need at least $100K min. Do you need uninsured motorist?
Do a little research, use yourself, your current financial situation, then what it would take to make you well if you got hurt, had $200K in medical, lost your bike (or car) and missed 6 months of work and this "situation" was your fault. A min "full coverage" policy will leave you severly lacking.
Scary. talk to a good agent.

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 05:40:41 PM »

Please check out Foremost. I have tried many insurance companies and for all my bikes I use them. Great company. I had a claim where I dropped a leaf blower from a shelf onto a rear fender. I was going to pay for a new fender myself.. just called to get a feel from them and they had a guy out within an hour. Payed for a new fender and quickly. You can customized your policy to your needs. No need to pay for what you don't want. I pay to insure I can ride all year.  I live in Ohio where we have to quit riding in winter. If we get good riding days in between I can get her out. Much cheaper than Dairyland and progressive.  By the way my son moved to Atlanta 2 years ago.  Where you moving too?

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 06:40:37 PM »

Please look at the coverages you are getting. Do not buy insurance based on bottom line. So many people respond with "I have full coverage". Their is no such thing as full coverage, this type policy is what is required by the lender to cover them, and not what is possibly a good fit for you.
I have a neighbor who is so proud of his low rates but only has $10K liab coverage. What kind of car/truck/whatever costs $10K or less if you cause a wreck and it gets totalled? Nothing and you will pay the remainder of that guys car out of your pocket.  You need at least $100K min. Do you need uninsured motorist?
Do a little research, use yourself, your current financial situation, then what it would take to make you well if you got hurt, had $200K in medical, lost your bike (or car) and missed 6 months of work and this "situation" was your fault. A min "full coverage" policy will leave you severly lacking.
Scary. talk to a good agent.

Many states require uninsured motorist coverage........and when you see what it covers, you will see what a ripoff it is!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 09:29:08 AM »

I now live in VA and moving to GA. Getting quotes on insurance and finding out the price is over double from VA. And good leads to get a better price?

I've had State Farm insurance from the day I turned 16 (on parents coverage...they had it for years prior and since) and subsequently since moving to SC (a no fault state) and then TN.  Lumping the home owners in with the vehicle coverage does help with the exception of the no fault in SC. 
However, upon looking at our coverage a few years ago, we moved to Farm Bureau.  Farm Bureau was the least expensive with great coverage at least here in East TN for the bike, lower on our home owners and about the same on the cars/truck.  My yearly coverage with 100K/500K/100K and $500 deductible on the 2015 CVO is $550/year.  Again age, driving record, multi car/home owners lumped in helps but nothing else could touch FB on the bike department.  The same coverage using the same information above for State Farm put the bike insurance in the $900/year range.

That's TN.  As others have already stated, it really depends on location/driving record/multi vehicle-home discounts/age of insured/type of vehicle/etc.  Good luck in searching but give Farm Bureau a shot... :2vrolijk_21:

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 01:22:33 PM »

A discount that really surprised me last year.  Took a notion to do the 6 hour experienced rider course which costs roughly $100.  Can be gotten cheaper with dealer discounts or military discounts.  Wanted it for the slow speed handling practice on my Ultra.  Once completed and turned into Geico I discovered I got a 10% discount for 3 years which reduces cost about twice the cost of the class.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 06:30:48 PM »

Many states require uninsured motorist coverage........and when you see what it covers, you will see what a ripoff it is!!!

I was taken out a few years back by someone and they only had the state min. insurance. If I did not have uninsured coverage I would have been on the hook for about $60k in medical bills. Some of it yeah its bs but the important part is not. And you can stack 'em, so my car uninsured and bike uninsured add together. And that right there is also why they're not insured with the same company.

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 25 queries.