Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: oil drip on floor  (Read 1851 times)

turninggrayinpa

• FLHRSEI.ORG
oil drip on floor
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:01:53 AM »

Yesterday I noticed a "small" puddle of oil under my 07 Jester. I figured that it was my turn, since my bike has almost 3000 miles on it. I grabbed a flashlight and started looking. I found where it was coming from and will try to describe (I don't have a shop service manual, so I don't know exactly what everything is called) Looking up from the floor to the bottom side of the motor, there is a piece of metal about 5/8 inch thick that has a 8 digit number stamped on it. Perhaps this is some kind of spacer between the motor/tranny? Anyhow, the drip appears to be coming from near the corner on the primary side. I can slide my fingers up above and feel around, but it appears dry above, so I guess it must be a gasket, o ring or whatever is around that spacer piece
I will be making an appointment this week, but if anyone could enlighten me as to what this could be, then please do so
Also,for what it's worth, I do have rocker box noise (sounds like my 396 chevelle with solid lifters) around 2000 to 2400 rpm, and I am aware of the issues with the clearance. Plus, starting to get a pretty good vibration thru the handlebars around 2800 to 3000 rpm.Is this a crank run-out problem? If I ask dealer to check and they find nothing wrong, will warranty pay? I do have a TMAT with a zippers high flow a/c and a set of V/H classic oval slip on.
Sorry to run on , but I am getting concerned
Thanks
J.B.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: oil drip on floor
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 02:12:22 PM »

Yesterday I noticed a "small" puddle of oil under my 07 Jester. I figured that it was my turn, since my bike has almost 3000 miles on it. I grabbed a flashlight and started looking. I found where it was coming from and will try to describe (I don't have a shop service manual, so I don't know exactly what everything is called) Looking up from the floor to the bottom side of the motor, there is a piece of metal about 5/8 inch thick that has a 8 digit number stamped on it. Perhaps this is some kind of spacer between the motor/tranny? Anyhow, the drip appears to be coming from near the corner on the primary side. I can slide my fingers up above and feel around, but it appears dry above, so I guess it must be a gasket, o ring or whatever is around that spacer piece
I will be making an appointment this week, but if anyone could enlighten me as to what this could be, then please do so
Also,for what it's worth, I do have rocker box noise (sounds like my 396 chevelle with solid lifters) around 2000 to 2400 rpm, and I am aware of the issues with the clearance. Plus, starting to get a pretty good vibration thru the handlebars around 2800 to 3000 rpm.Is this a crank run-out problem? If I ask dealer to check and they find nothing wrong, will warranty pay? I do have a TMAT with a zippers high flow a/c and a set of V/H classic oval slip on.
Thanks
J.B.
J.B.,

Sounds like you're describing the front of the transmission case, where it bolts up to the engine.  Assuming the oil isn't tracking from somewhere higher up, you may have a leaking oil line (the lines on the '07 are internal, previous years had external lines).

As for the vibration at 2800 rpm, others have also reported the same issue on the '07's.  This is one such thread  
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=8518.0

Jerry
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 08:17:21 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 02:40:16 PM »

aren't Harley's supposed to leak oil? :nixweiss: :P
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 07:46:16 PM »

Apparently there are two kinds of 110" motors...  those that leak now and those that are going to leak.

Any day on the bike is a good day.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 07:49:24 PM »

Thanks
J.B.

Look under the starter with a flashlight.  If its wet there by the stud with the ground wire (top of tranny) then you may have the same leak (besides the head gasket leak) that I have.  its the VSS sensor which you cannot see with starter in place.  They are replacing my tranny case to fix it.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 08:05:22 PM »

Basically your Harley is just obeying the law.
the law of Gravity
Seriously - check for the obvious stuff mentioned and then porosity issues in the cases themselves - I've heard of warranty work down already on this
-Beerman
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 08:54:13 PM »

aren't Harley's supposed to leak oil? :nixweiss: :P

Actually, the leaks got much better for several years.  The last EVO's were pretty good, and the early Twin Cams were even better.  Unfortunately, things appear to have changed since the turn of the century.  Now we have engine leaks and trans leaks, with various causes.  I can't swear to it, but I heard that the powers to be at the MoCo felt that a leak free engine and trans didn't fit with their nostalgia oriented marketing.  Therefore they arranged to use cheaper seals, gaskets, and machining so we could all experience the joys of "marking our spot", just like in the bad ol' days.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 06:46:33 AM »

Make sure the transmission is not overfilled.  My 03 SERK had a small leak and I found he I had to put a little less oil in the transmission than Harley called for.  The leak then went away.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.