Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: A couple cool things I'll probably have to get  (Read 2876 times)

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: A couple cool things I'll probably have to get
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2005, 08:12:10 AM »

I bought the tourpak liner last friday, nice piece, fits well. Looks much better than the rubber pads. Have to cut the antenna hole, be sure and get some extra velcro, what they supply works, but a few extra pieces makes a much tighter, neater fit.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2005, 05:25:09 PM »

I've had a HB 125 for a while on my 03 EG, so I'm sure the new HD version will be added to my new 06 CVO.  Guess I'll have to do the standard pipes, breather, and I guess a PC.  This is my first Fuel Injected Harley, so it will be a learning curve.  What about sneaking the heads off for a little clean up? I hate to take a brand new bike and trash the warranty,  but that might be doable, you think?   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2005, 05:29:15 PM »

This is my first Fuel Injected Harley, so it will be a learning curve.  

This you should love.  Less you can do to tinker with it.  But the trade-off is well worth it.  Wait until the first cool/cold day and the bike just starts, and stays running.  Or the first time you cross real mountains.  EFI will be your friend. [smiley=beerchug.gif]

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2005, 05:39:35 PM »

Two lane, I'm looking to all you FI experts to help me thru this.  I'm apprehensive, just cause I've had such good luck with carbs. Just returned from riding in Colo and my EG with a 106 and CV 51 carb performed flawlessly, albeit with a loss of power, but I am looking forward to FI. It is a huge learning curve thou. Maybe my kids can help this old man with programming.  [smiley=laugh.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2005, 05:52:17 PM »

Two lane, I'm looking to all you FI experts to help me thru this.  I'm apprehensive, just cause I've had such good luck with carbs. Just returned from riding in Colo and my EG with a 106 and CV 51 carb performed flawlessly, albeit with a loss of power, but I am looking forward to FI. It is a huge learning curve thou. Maybe my kids can help this old man with programming.  [smiley=laugh.gif]

GC I got on my first EFI bike four or five years ago.  And it was one of the M&M bikes so not as good as what we've got now.  I was immediately hooked.  

Granted up front,  if you're a heavy tuner and tinkerer there are things you'd do with a carb that simply can't be done with an EFI bike.  There are also side-of-the-road type fixes that aren't possible anymore either.  

Those things aside, however, the EFI has proven eminently reliable and incredibly convenient.  Add to this that tuning accessory hardware is getting better and smarter and more available all the time.  This allows us to do just about as much with these bikes (if not more) than we could with carbs.  We just have to accomplish it a lot differently.

If you are like I've gotten to be anymore; someone who rides a bit more and tinkers a bit less on any given machine, than you'll love the EFI just for the simple convenience of it.  Really cold morning, thumb the switch, the bike just starts.  Really hot day, thumb the switch, the bike just starts.  Weather extremes within a ride don't phase it.  And it's own adjustability up and down the mountains will make it so that you notice much less the effects of altitude than you otherwise are used to.  Really hope you enjoy it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 05:54:44 PM by twolanerider »

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2005, 06:47:20 PM »

Thanks Two lane.  I guess it's time I got out of the dark ages.  LOL  I've heard lots of horror stories, but I've heard lots of positives also.  I guess the biggie for me is which way to go. Race tuner, race fueler, PC, Flash, DFO.  So many things, so little time. I just need to do some research and see who is good here with FI locally. I do know of one pretty good PC guy, so maybe I'll go that way. If I do go the PC route, do I still need the flash?  I don't care about raising my rev limiter, I don't go past 5K anyway.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2005, 07:12:28 PM »

Thanks Two lane.  I guess it's time I got out of the dark ages.  LOL  I've heard lots of horror stories, but I've heard lots of positives also.  I guess the biggie for me is which way to go. Race tuner, race fueler, PC, Flash, DFO.  So many things, so little time. I just need to do some research and see who is good here with FI locally. I do know of one pretty good PC guy, so maybe I'll go that way. If I do go the PC route, do I still need the flash?  I don't care about raising my rev limiter, I don't go past 5K anyway.

GC, the RT or PC or DFO question often seems to be almost religious in fervor.  Though almost no one actually sets them up themselves.......  

Everyone's decision is their own of course.  I'll gladly share with what I based my choice on though.  Since I'm not doing the final setups on either.  And since I'm actually paying someone else (a good dyno guy) to get the most out of whatever gets installed.  I'm installing whichever one the closest good dyno guy likes best.  His preference is my preference; I don't even give it a second thought.

I happen to have the PC.  It's what John at Rolling Thunder Dyno likes.  He's really good and less than a mile from my house when he's not on the road at a rally someplace.  So for me it's an easy choice.

As for a flash installed under the PC.  No, you don't have to.  The PC will remap from whatever baseline it has underneath it.  So the download is not required.  Having said that, I did it anyway.  Purely as a redundant backup or insurance.

If the PC ever craps out some distance from home it is five-minute-simple to remove from the bike.  But should that ever happen I didn't want to finish a trip with the overly lean condition that would be the result of my pipes and breather with the stock mapping.  So having the Stage I chip downloaded means my "baseline" is something that makes the bike much happier in case of a PC failure.  You just need to decide which you're going to do first.  The PC adjusts from whatever baseline it's originally programmed from.  So whatever your baseline is going to be needs to be there before the PC gets programmed.

As for the likelihood of a PC failure; they seem to be pretty reliable.  I've had them on three bikes now for a lot of miles.  Comeing back from the east coast this spring, however, my bike started acting funky.  It might have been the PC.  Might not have been.  But it wasn't running right.  So I pulled the PC about 600 miles from home at a rest stop in Indiana someplace.  

To this day I still can't say absolutely whether the PC was contributing to the problem.  Manufacturer replaced it under warranty just because the probem was terribly intermittent and they knew they might not ever find it.  But I was really glad I had the Stage I download as my baseline for the rest of the trip home.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2005, 08:25:35 PM »

Thanks alot Two lane.  That's petty much what I've heard so far.  That said, I'll probably do the stage I flash, then put a few miles on it and go from there. It never really ends, does it?  Someone I really admire once told me that a Harley is always about $1K from being a good MC. I didn't think much about it at the time, but it's really true. Later and thanks again. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.