Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: A couple cool things I'll probably have to get  (Read 2882 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
A couple cool things I'll probably have to get
« on: August 04, 2005, 08:47:01 PM »

Got the new P&A book in the mail last night and a few things caught my attention:

Fitted Saddlebag Liners
Fitted Tour-pak Liner
Primary Chain Automatic Tensioner

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
Re: A couple cool things I'll probably have to get
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 10:17:26 PM »

Brian,

You be on the ball Dude! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Already have liners, not as fancy as HD's but am very satisfied. I like the automatic chain tensioner. Just got my P&A book today. Looks like I will have some excellent reading material for my bathroom visits......Just hate when my legs fall asleep. [smiley=laugh.gif]

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 11:03:33 PM »

103, I don't know which liners you are considering, but I have had very good results with the drag specialties saddlebag liner kit.  It sells for about $70 and it comes in pre-cut pieces.  It has self adhesive backing, and when you put each section in, you can massage the edges to overlap, but become virtually invisable.  I had it on my last bagger for 85k mi. It holds up well, eliminates noise from anything rattling in the bag and looks very good, I have in the new SEEG, took me about an hour to do both bags. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 11:10:25 PM »

Striker, hover your cursor over the product descriptions in my first post and click.  They are links that will take you to the H-D website where you'll see photos and other information.  Thanks for the tip on the Drag Specialties liners, though.  I'll investigate those before making any purchases. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 11:13:27 PM »

Got the new P&A book in the mail last night and a few things caught my attention:

Fitted Saddlebag Liners
Fitted Tour-pak Liner
Primary Chain Automatic Tensioner

Brian,
Take a look at J&P part number 830-120.  It's a saddlebag liner set that's been out for a long time now.  If you noticed them in Maggie Valley they're the liners that were in the red bike.  They're also quite a bit cheaper than the Harley branded items.  The old M6 chain tensioner has been out there for a long time too.  Harley always used to say that chain tensioners were a bad thing (until they released their own I guess).  The M6 for a twin cam is somewhere around a $100.00.

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 11:28:48 PM »

I have avoided anything that doesn't give me a good fitted set-up because I thow such odd ball garbage in the bags that I am always cleaning out.  I also like to use the fabric insides to attach things with velcro and it keeps stuff out of the way.  I took my rool up tool kit, put velcro across the back, and it stands upright against the side, take up less space, and is easy to access.  Just personal preference I guess.
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

RedFXR2

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 09:54:01 AM »

I've had a HB125 (the hydraulic kind) primary chain tensioner on my FXR2 for about a year now and like it.  Neutral is a dependable one-click find, and shifting in general seems to be more positive as well.

To echo Twolane, I too find it funny that the same MoCo that used to tell me how bad those things were now have one of their own.   My (then) local dealer used to tell me all kinds of reasons why tentioners were bad...but he never said that bringing the bike in every 5K for an adjustment (where they always found something else to do as well) was a bad thing. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 09:55:08 AM by RedFXR2 »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 10:27:49 AM »

Brian,
Take a look at J&P part number 830-120.  It's a saddlebag liner set that's been out for a long time now.  If you noticed them in Maggie Valley they're the liners that were in the red bike.  They're also quite a bit cheaper than the Harley branded items.  The old M6 chain tensioner has been out there for a long time too.  [bgcolor=Yellow]Harley always used to say that chain tensioners were a bad thing (until they released their own I guess).  [/bgcolor]The M6 for a twin cam is somewhere around a $100.00.

The aftermarket continues to be the driving force behind most of the improvements we eventually see - Harley seems to be content to stay stuck in the '50's until someone else does the work to develop and refine the upgrades and "fixes" .  Kind of like Microsoft, if you know what I mean.  
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 06:15:46 PM »

I just sprayed the inside of my old ones with the spray-on felt liner.  Worked like a champ and held the velcro hooks just fine.  Cost me about 4 bucks for the can.  Comes in complimnetary colors to match your bike too...  I got it at the car parts place... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 09:23:54 PM »

Harley always used to say that chain tensioners were a bad thing (until they released their own I guess).  

Just like they said about sync oil!!!!

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 09:34:28 PM »

Just like they said about sync oil!!!!

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

Yeap, and that synthetic oil has proved to be SOOOO god they've now replaced a new oil to use in its place in the primary  [smiley=7.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 10:07:20 PM »

Brian,
Take a look at J&P part number 830-120.  It's a saddlebag liner set that's been out for a long time now.  If you noticed them in Maggie Valley they're the liners that were in the red bike.

Hey, Don, I did not catch a glimpse of the inside of your bags in the Valley, so I feel compelled to give you the obligatory:
[smiley=worthless.gif]
[smiley=laugh.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 01:07:05 AM »

Hey, Don, I did not catch a glimpse of the inside of your bags in the Valley, so I feel compelled to give you the obligatory:
 [smiley=worthless.gif]

. [smiley=laugh.gif]

Gothca covered  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  Brand new fresh photo.  The liner material is surprisingly thick.  Feels like a medium thickness wool blanlket.  But is smooth so made to fit saddlebag luggage or coolers slide in and out every bit as easy if not easier than they did against the raw fiberglass.  I got 'em way back when as they were the only thing I could then find to do a good (thick material) job of protecting the harness to the spoiler lights.  But they fit really well, protect the harness and contents quite nicely, and are easy to take out or reinstall as need be (velcro band around the top).

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 01:42:04 AM »

I figured I could count on ya, Don!  You da man!  Thanks for the photos!  Those look great!  I was not aware of this product before now.  That's what I love about this site.  Put something out there as simple as saddlebag liners and you're guaranteed to get input from members about alternatives, in this case those that cost less and look/work great! [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2005, 03:17:01 AM »

J&P and a few other places had some other options listed as well.  One is individual pieces cut to fit the different inner walls of the saddlebag and glued or velcroed in place.  And some even weirder ideas were out there too.  From those I looked at at the time it seemed a product that had kind of fallen between the cracks.  Nobody had anything in stock and just finding the products listed was at places few and far between.  Since Harley came out with something now others will likely copy it.  But these are heavy (withtout being too thick) and just seem to do a good job in an easy fashion to work with.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 24 queries.