Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: is there a water cooled bagger comming  (Read 7833 times)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
Re: is there a water cooled bagger comming
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2008, 05:32:27 PM »

That's my feeling as well Joe - H-D doesn't have the capability, and I don't think they have the 'nads either.  I figure any company that can't even engineer a fix for leaking head gaskets or crankshaft runout would have a real tough time designing, engineering, properly testing, and manufacturing a completely new water cooled engine without a lot of outside help.  I haven't seen them come out with anything truly innovative since I started following them in the 90's; all they do is borrow ideas and technology that have been around for years elsewhere (and screw it up quite often).

Perhaps it's attitudes like Willy G.'s that has put H-D behind the 8-ball with regard to new and better ideas.  See it all the time, people get comfortable with the status quo and resist any kind of change.  I figure if he was half as good as he thinks he is, he could work some styling magic and make a water cooled bagger with a modern frame and suspension still look like a Harley and not scare off customers. 

Jerry

I agree with this too Jerry but I find it really sad that new ideas and technologies are not being brought to the forefront more often. I get the feeling that there are a lot of folks that are terrified to offer new ideas, products, models for fear that there base market we leave them. Harley, Willie G, went out on an awful thin branch to introduce the V-Rod but it has broadened there market share. Sooner or later they'll have to take a chance again, it's the only way to keep the company growing. As the market changes the product has no option but to follow. I agree too that there is no reason that they can't come up with more styling "Magic". I think first they need to address there current problems with there latest offerings and work on regaining a little of the old time trust.

Ed
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2008, 09:18:32 PM »

I will add to what Ed said, and say that I've ridden all kinds of bikes throughout my lifetime, even when I didn't own any.  No doubt that HD air cooled motors have a "feel" to them unlike any other bike on the market, and they have capitalized on that very well.  I can also say that I have never ridden a bike like my SEVrod either...it has the same "feel" to it, just in a way that is a different riding experience.  HD could do a lot worse than teaming up with Porche on any future product development....or Ducati for that matter.

Bring on water cooling, but while they're at it, make frame improvements, and spend some money on some decent suspension to go under the bike.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2008, 09:21:45 PM »

I will add to what Ed said, and say that I've ridden all kinds of bikes throughout my lifetime, even when I didn't own any.  No doubt that HD air cooled motors have a "feel" to them unlike any other bike on the market, and they have capitalized on that very well.  I can also say that I have never ridden a bike like my SEVrod either...it has the same "feel" to it, just in a way that is a different riding experience.  HD could do a lot worse than teaming up with Porche on any future product development....or Ducati for that matter.

Bring on water cooling, but while they're at it, make frame improvements, and spend some money on some decent suspension to go under the bike.

All they need to do is to do that (fix), their traditional A/C bikes! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2008, 10:06:26 PM »

Water cooling is coming for sure. The trick is to do it without losing the soul of
the air cooled V-twin. The touring bike line needs serious updates. Along with a
new engine we need a new stronger and more rigid frame and swingarm. I think
that the swingarm pivot should be used to mount only the swingarm, that way
it can be made more rigid. Also I would like to see bearings instead of bushings
for mounting the swingarm. They should be able to do this without creating any
more vibration in the bike if they change the engine and tranny mounting system.
Water cooling to keep them cool and new frame, swingarm and suspension for great
handling.   Win,Win.  Just my 2 cents.   :soapbox:

P. S. I will save my batwing fairing rant for another time.

Mark.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2008, 09:43:01 AM »

If HD does go with a water cooled bagger, it would be smart for them to do a "ground up" bike, like the V-Rod instead of cobbling a water jacket onto an Ultra, EGlide, or RGlide. Terry's right - Porsche or Ducati engineered would not be a bad idea.

Better suspension, better frame, a decent seat, & riser adjustable bars (for comfort) would be nice.  Might consider doing something for a little weight reduction, while they are at it too.

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.