Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 110 oil problem  (Read 1561 times)

sedyna

• Ride it like you stole it
110 oil problem
« on: April 02, 2008, 07:05:38 PM »

I have a 07 SE Fxdse... when i got it and finished breaking it in i had it dyno tuned... shortly after that i noticed that the bike was using alot of oil.. i brought it to the dealer where i bought the bike 4 times for this issue... every time they said it was a big motor and it was fine, and my vance and hines power chambers were a part of the problem :-\... but i had added 3 qts with less than 2500 mi.... i was sick of the same story, got a hd claim number and brought my bike to a bigger dealership.... they ran it on the dyno for a bit said it was fine... i then did the hi compression pistons, new cams, vance and hines 2into1 se heavy breather. it ended up with 110 hp and 115 ft/lb of tq.  i went down and payed for it etc... well today they had called me and said they had found the oil problem... they told me that the oil tank was low. and the oil is not returning to the tank from the crankcase... i guess my crankcase had way too much oil in it... i was adding it because it was always low, but it was pumping into the crankcase...  i started asking questions. he said i needed a new oil pump because it wasn't returning from the crankcase... he also said that would have caused a power issue.. i told him i wanted to get a whole new engine.  he didn't like the sound of that, and he thought he could fix the problem, I'm having them check the crank runout also... anyone ever heard of this????.... are they ripping my engine down to get to the oil pump? why would it not return? thanks Jon :nixweiss:

sedyna

Re: 110 oil problem
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 05:19:39 PM »

got another call the other day... now im getting a brand new crank and oil pump... what a slut the 110 is...

fj4069

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 11:35:54 PM »

the wet sumping is pretty common problem. had the same problem when i put together my 110. got rid of the crappy hd pump and put in a feuling and havn't had anymore problems with it. the crankshaft will end up with a bunch of runout again due the numbers you're getting out of the engine now. before i put mine together i had mine trued and welded but unfortunatley hd doesn't do this on these biikes from the factory.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 11:27:45 AM »

One likely cause for the wet sumping could be that lovely flexible Chinese crank.  All that wobble will screw up an oil pump in no time.  Talk to the dealer about having the new crank trued and welded, so you won't have to worry about this issue in the future.  It will be money well spent, IMHO.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 01:05:12 PM »

One likely cause for the wet sumping could be that lovely flexible Chinese crank.  All that wobble will screw up an oil pump in no time.  Talk to the dealer about having the new crank trued and welded, so you won't have to worry about this issue in the future.  It will be money well spent, IMHO.

Jerry

I totally agree with Jerry....if they are going to split your cases to install a new crank, I'd not put the same chit back in there that came out.  Either have the new crank welded and trued, or pay the difference for an aftermarket crank that will not cause this problem again.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

sedyna

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 09:41:51 PM »

I cant thank you guys enough for the advice... I was at the dealer today, and saw my bike all torn down.. crank was out, everything seemed to look ok... cylinders looked freshly honed... I told them that I wanted to get the crank balanced and welded like you guys had suggested. they said one of the techs knew about that sort of stuff.. so tuesday i will call again about it. I dont know if there capable or if it needs to be sent out. So i should also get a new aftermarket oil pump? I'm installing a oil cooler also. they claim that they can make this better than a brand new engine, and get the tolerances tighter.  thanks Jon

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 09:55:35 PM »

I cant thank you guys enough for the advice... I was at the dealer today, and saw my bike all torn down.. crank was out, everything seemed to look ok... cylinders looked freshly honed... I told them that I wanted to get the crank balanced and welded like you guys had suggested. they said one of the techs knew about that sort of stuff.. so tuesday i will call again about it. I dont know if there capable or if it needs to be sent out. So i should also get a new aftermarket oil pump? I'm installing a oil cooler also. they claim that they can make this better than a brand new engine, and get the tolerances tighter.  thanks Jon

They will probably have to send it to another shop to get it trued and balanced, but you'll be WAY ahead if the crank is done right...then you won't ever have to worry about the bottom end again until you get a bunch of miles on the bike.  Get the info on where they send it, and what the specs are after they get through welding and balancing.  The specs on runout for a trued and balanced crank should be .003 or less.  An oil cooler should be standard on any air cooled bike, IMO, so I would definitely go that route as well.  Good luck with the rebuild, and hope you have lots of trouble free miles afterwards.

Oh...there's nothing wrong with the oil pumps on the 07/08 models, IF everything else is like it should be.  There is a Screamin' Eagle Billet cam plate that comes witht the oil pump, so that is something else you may want to check in to...difference in cost should be neglidgable.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 09:57:36 PM »

send it out...

http://www.darkhorsecrankworks.com/

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 10:24:13 PM »

send it out...

http://www.darkhorsecrankworks.com/

Yeah, and do the Timken bearing conversion to the case while it's apart too. ;)

Hoist!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 25 queries.