Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bought a watermelon......have questions????  (Read 1300 times)

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
Bought a watermelon......have questions????
« on: May 17, 2008, 12:36:46 AM »

1. This watermelon came with a Thundermax ECM.  The intake and exhaust are stock.  It has the oxygen sensors.  I am definitely going to change exhausts.  I prefer true duals, but would like some input on true duals vs. 2 into 1, pros and cons of each and brand recommendations.

2. The stock intake, it is considered a Stage 1?  Is there a better intake for it?

3. Will this Thundermax have to be re-mapped for these changes?
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

maineultraclassic

• Junior CVO Member
  • Not a CVO bike, but still a blast to ride!!
    • Steve's Harley
Re: Bought a watermelon......have questions????
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 07:19:51 AM »

2-1 exhaust will give you better overall performance. But if you like the looks/sound of true duals, the Rineharts are a good choice. I prefer the Fatcat 2-1 with the quiet baffle.......great sound, great quality, and great performance.

The stock air box is restrictive and not considered stage 1 at all. You will still need to put on either an aftermarket air cleaner setup to allow it to breathe better.

The Thundermax is an auto-tune system............it will adjust itself to whatever changes you make from the basemap it has in it. Just install your exhaust and air cleaner and ride.......it will make the adjustments on it's own.

Steve
--------------------------------
2005 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic FLHTCUI
--------------------------------
95" Powered by Big Boyz Heads, Woods Cams, Doherty A/C, TTS, Fatcat, Hillside TB, and Cometic
Built by Me, Tuned by Bean

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 08:57:28 AM »

Interesting that the previous owner would put a Thundermax on and leave the intake/exhaust stock (except for having to add the O2 bungs to the header pipes).  Unless he was planning to replace the pipes and breather at a later date.  The 06's 103 didn't run hot stock like the 110's do, so not sure why he changed the ECM with no further mods.  Did the previous owner change cams maybe?  It depends on what you want looks or performance.  Traditionally 2-into-1 will give you the best performance, but a lot of people like the twin muffler look the bagger has.  The D&D Fatcats are 2-in-1 and you can also purchase a "ghost" pipe for the left side to give you the dual look.  A lot of people have the Fatcats on this site and are very happy with them.  I have true duals and oval mufflers and am very happy with the looks of that setup.  My Streetglide will have the V&H Pro Pipe on it...which is a 2-in-1 and no pipe on the left bag.   You will have to put a new map into the Thundermax when you change out the breather and the pipes to give it a "baseline" tune for the new setup.  Then it will self tune itself base on the parameters of the base map.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 10:45:55 AM »

Maybe

The bike did have exhaust and intake that was taken off before the trip to the dealer to sell the bike.

That's done a lot.

You have the stock exhaust that's worth nothing and you have expensive pipes on your bike that your selling.

Swap em out before you sell the bike then you don't have to buy them again or figure out how to get rid of the stock exhaust.

Happens all the time!

Maybe not here but it happens!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 02:51:01 PM »

Lots of comparison info in this thread for you Jbbrown73.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=9490.0

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 05:02:23 PM »

He said he bought the thundermax because he was told it was the best mod to have for mountain riding, that it would adjust to the changes in elevation.  He also was told it would improve the fuel mileage.  He didn't ride it enough or go to the mountains so that was a bust for him.  However i have the Thundermax and stock ecm both.  He did have bungs welded in the stock exhaust and never put aftermarkets on it.  I decided to go with the BUB 7 exhaust.  Everyone around here has the Rhineharts and I just like being different.  Also, Eastern has them on sale this month for $699 delivered.  I also ordered a Big Sucker.  As for changing the base map in the Thundermax, can I get that from Thundermax?  I got the cable and data disc and all the original paperwork.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 05:24:22 PM »

1. This watermelon came with a Thundermax ECM.  The intake and exhaust are stock.  It has the oxygen sensors.  I am definitely going to change exhausts.  I prefer true duals, but would like some input on true duals vs. 2 into 1, pros and cons of each and brand recommendations.

2. The stock intake, it is considered a Stage 1?  Is there a better intake for it?

3. Will this Thundermax have to be re-mapped for these changes?
Here is my input on your questions....

1. I too prefer true duals, but have come to like the D&D Fatcat 2-n-1 more and more. It will provide you better all around performance, and it has the option of having a "ghost" pipe on the left side which will give the appearance of a true dual. Not sure if I would get the "ghost" pipe if I were to go that way as I'm getting more used to the single pipe look on a bagger. In regards to true duals I like the look and sound of the Rinehart's (have these). As you stated many have these pipes but that didn't deter me from getting them.

2. If you look behind the A/C and it still has the black plastic/rubber backplate then it's going to be the stock (not stage 1) intake. If you are going to change the pipes you'll need (should) to change this also. Look here - "Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner for a great alternative (chrome) for this mod.

3. I believe there are different downloads for different modifications available for Thundermax ECM's. Check this site - Thundermax and you'll find the software available for download. There may be a map available for the A/C and pipes you are intending to install on your bike. If there is a map available (for the mods you've made) it is supposed to get you close and then the auto-tune is supposed to adjust to your specific bike.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 09:54:12 PM »

:oops:  What a bust.  I though you wanted to know if you should shoot it up with.  Gin, Vodka, Grain Alcohol, Shine or ??

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 25 queries.