Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Quitting smoking  (Read 1969 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Quitting smoking
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 09:18:07 AM »

Good decision Janine...I quit ciggarettes cold turkey 10 years ago, couldn't take a bong hit without hacking up a lung
(kidding, kidding).  I still smoke about 5-10 cigars a week but feel alot better than when on ciggs.

Good luck, you can do it!

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 09:28:44 AM »

yes i don't inhale either..... :coolblue:....my habana's turn me green if i do.

quit cigarettes for 10 yrs er so....i got hypnotized for it..... :confused5:

it's definitely a state of mind in resisting the urge to smoke.

good luck

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 09:33:04 AM »

Good decision Janine...I quit ciggarettes cold turkey 10 years ago, couldn't take a bong hit without hacking up a lung
(kidding, kidding).  I still smoke about 5-10 cigars a week but feel alot better than when on ciggs.

Good luck, you can do it!

Sounds like a guy I knew, he told me he had to either quit smoking pot or cigarettes. He chose the cigs, but then got busted for the weed!  ;)  

yes i don't inhale either..... :coolblue:....my habana's turn me green if i do.

quit cigarettes for 10 yrs er so....i got hypnotized for it..... :confused5:

it's definitely a state of mind in resisting the urge to smoke.

good luck

TN

Thanks for the encouragement! Every bit help sooooooooooooo much!!
Member 4721
FXDSE2-Candy Cobalt/Midnight Blue

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 09:55:06 AM »

I started smoking at 9... I thought I wanted to quit many times between then and 35.  Even managed to do it for a few months more than once.  I'd announce I'm quitting and throw my smokes away.

At 35 I had a heart attack.  I weighed 350 lbs and smoked a pack a day.  After I saw the doctors they gave me about 10 years to live.  Which meant I wouldn't live long enough to see my son graduate from high school.

I learned that day, that no matter how many times I thought I wanted to quit in the past, I really didn't.  I knew that it was bad for me.  I knew it was expensive.  I knew I wanted the money I was spending on smokes for other things.  But I didn't really WANT to quit.  I felt it was the right thing to do.  I felt it was the smart thing to do.  I thought it would be good for me and my family.  Just like skipping the fast food is the right thing to do.  But we rarely do. But I wanted those other things, I didn't really want to quit until they told me I wouldn't get to see my son grow up.

For the first time that day I really wanted to quit.  And I did.  It's five years later and I'm 40 now.  I can hold a lit cigarette for someone and have no desire to take even a drag.  I bought a pack last week for my sister-in-law.  I had no desire to grab a pack for myself while I was doing it.  And the only difference between this time and all the other times is I really wanted to quit.  To be there for my son, who is my BSR and my best friend.

I'm 5 years smoke free and I now weigh 210 lbs.  They tell me I have a reasonable chance of living to a normal lifespan.  And I can look at my son every day and know I did my best.  That's enough of a reason to stay off.  Of course I now save about $5000 a year in cigarette and medical co-pays.  And what did I do with that money?  Look at my avatar.  That's cigarette money sitting there.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 10:28:09 AM »

Janine,
Speaking from experience (I quit for different periods of times, 6 months, 1 yr, 2 years, and now haven't smoked for over 10 years), the first thing to quitting is you REALLY want to have to quit.  You have to be totally set in your attitude and mind that you're going to quit.  If you have any doubts like I know I should quit for my health, but I enjoy smoking, you may quit, but not for long.  You have to be totally committed to quitting and be willing to put up with the weight gain (I gained close to 50 lbs when I quit, 25 is normal), over riding the urges to have "association smokes" (smoking at certain spots on the highway/road when you're commuting to work, talking on the phone, having a drink, right after a meal, etc.).  Those are the hardest to break, those are the mental addictions.  I went to a smoking cessation class and did the patch, but I first had to convince myself that it was best for me to quit smoking, and mean it!!  If there's any doubt or lack of total committment, you won't quit for long.  And trust me, those "association smoke" habits are the hardest to break.   According to what I learned in the class, it will take 7 years for your lungs to repair the damage done by smoking.  And that's just what can be repaired.  You will have some irreversable damage done to your lungs.  Anyone that smokes for a extended period of time will have irreversable damage.  Good luck and I hope you do quit.   It will be one of the best things you'll ever do.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 10:47:27 AM »

For me, "Quit", is too long.  I stopped smoking on 9/16/2000.  To me, it is such a powerful addiction, sometimes I dream I have smoked.  What a relief to wake up and realize it was just a dream.  I still want one from time to time, but just for a fleeting moment.  Every morning I simply tell myself I will not smoke today.  I can get through one day without a smoke, but forever is too long.  Any fool can do without a smoke for one day.  If I can do it, anybody can.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 10:55:20 AM »

I used zyban also knowen as wellbutrin takes the urge to kill away. Best of luck to you. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! :2vrolijk_21:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 11:42:15 PM »

Hey hey hey!  I quit in Feb this year with the Chantix.  (good stuff)  It was much harder this time. 
The last time was in '91 as a result of a rescue dive gone seriously astray which left me in a decompression chamber every day for seven weeks, and another 4 months in the wheelchair.  when I got my walker and could go outside, I went straight to the park and cadged smokes from the guys down there...  Anyway, they wouldn't let me smoke in the hospital or the chamber, so that made it real easy.    Not a method I would recommend though!!! 

Hang in there kiddo!  If I can do it, you can do it!   

However, ol' man hubbard has some strong sense in his statements....     one more day!
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 01:54:43 PM »

For me, "Quit", is too long.  I stopped smoking on 9/16/2000.  To me, it is such a powerful addiction, sometimes I dream I have smoked.  What a relief to wake up and realize it was just a dream.  I still want one from time to time, but just for a fleeting moment.  Every morning I simply tell myself I will not smoke today.  I can get through one day without a smoke, but forever is too long.  Any fool can do without a smoke for one day.  If I can do it, anybody can.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD 

Carl thats a great story and I'm glad you were able to over power the addiction. The night we said our goodbyes in Daytona last March, outside the resturant I noticed Derrick lighting up a cig, and thought theres a man with a promising future ahead of him and  I hope he has or will soon be able to quit.
Now that he has a win under his belt I will be following his progress thru the year.
Give him my best.  :2vrolijk_21:

Dave
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 03:15:20 PM »

Forget "trying to quit". You either do or don't. That said, what worked for wife and myself was to say "I don't smoke". Get rid of ashtrays, lighters, don't let other people smoke in the house, take a dirty ashtray, put a little water in it, swirl it around, then sniff it.
That was after 2 1/2 packs a day in 1975. Haven't smoked a cigg since then. Realized I don't really like 'em.

Of course, I do like cigars, but that's different.
(no it's not)
YES it is!
(no, yer still getting nicotine through yer mucosa)
SHUT UP!
(ok, deny it, but you know it's true) 
YOU CREEPY LITTLE JERK, LEAVE ME ALONE!
(you know I'm right) 
NO YOU AIN'T! dang, where's my meds?  :sauer024:
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.