Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Quitting smoking  (Read 1976 times)

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
Quitting smoking
« on: April 06, 2008, 12:18:18 AM »

I am trying to quit smoking. In the past I used the patch and quit for about 6 months. I have also had a couple of other failed attempts. This time I am giving Chantix a try. I have been on it a few weeks now and have really cut back on my smoking. Today I had only five cigarettes and feel pretty good about that. The problem is that I enjoy smoking, but I don't enjoy the thought of health problems. I know that I should stop completely for my health. Has anyone here quit successfully? I could use some tips and encouragement.
TIA.

Janine
Member 4721
FXDSE2-Candy Cobalt/Midnight Blue

REGGAB

Re: Quitting smoking
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 12:27:16 AM »

I am trying to quit smoking. In the past I used the patch and quit for about 6 months. I have also had a couple of other failed attempts. This time I am giving Chantix a try. I have been on it a few weeks now and have really cut back on my smoking. Today I had only five cigarettes and feel pretty good about that. The problem is that I enjoy smoking, but I don't enjoy the thought of health problems. I know that I should stop completely for my health. Has anyone here quit successfully? I could use some tips and encouragement.
TIA.

Janine

I quit 25 years ago.  Cold turkey.  It sucks, but each day you get stronger.  Good luck.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 12:28:54 AM »

TIA.

Janine

Janine, this may or may not be incentive.  I know many people that have succesfully quit smoking for a period of two years or more.  Figure that less than that doesn't count yet.

One used several hundred pounds of some kind of gum while doing so.  One quit cold turkey.   And one quit using some anti-addiction prescription whose name escapes me right now. 

Several others I've known over the years have quit via another method though.  They died.  My father, grandfather and closest uncle all number among those whose lives would have been some several years longer were it not for emphysema or heart disease.

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 01:04:43 AM »

the single biggest thing when quitting smoking is good old Will Power.  You have to get in the right mind set no matter what stop smoking aid you use.  It helps if you change the habits you associate with smoking as well.  Apparently it takes 30 days to break a habit.  I've used Zyban before as well as the patch and both work equally well.  Some people prefer the nicorette gum but some actually become addicted to that and chew it for years.  One thing about using the Zyban is it makes you feel good as well.  It was originally used (and still is) as an anti depressant under the name Welbutrin.

Anyway it's worth it so keep at it until you quit.  Everyone that smokes enjoys it when they smoke so you can't use that as an excuse.

Regards, Moe
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 11:20:41 AM »

First let me say congratulations on taking that first big step, which is to make the decision to quit.  As a heavy smoker for 40 years, I know exactly how hard it is to make that decision, and how easy it is to justify putting it off until after various stress filled events, or until it starts to affect my health, or the various other reasons we dream up.  I personally kept telling myself and my wife that I'd quit once I retired.  I retired on 3/1/07 and quit cold turkey on 3/22/07.  Before you congratulate me on my ability to keep my promise, you need to understand that like most addicts I probably would have found a way to avoid taking the big step if fate hadn't stepped in with an assist.  I found that quitting is much easier when you're lying flat on your back in a nonsmoking room in the intensive care section of the local nonsmoking hospital, recovering from a heart attack. 

I personally think that trying to "taper off" is a method that's doomed to fail.  In fact, most of the folks I've known over the years who continuously struggled with quitting multiple times were those who tried the gradual method.  The most successful were those who picked a day, got rid of all smoking material, and just quit.  It's similar to the issues a problem drinker or problem eater confronts when temptation is sitting within easy reach; it's just way to easy to tell yourself "just one won't hurt".  Make it as difficult as possible to get your hands on something to smoke.  Change other habits that you associate with smoking.  For instance, I think the people I've known who have had the hardest time quitting are those who frequent bars.  There's just something about a beer and a smoke that go together.  Until you get the smoking urge under control, you need to avoid situations that you know will reinforce your desire for a smoke.  You probably won't have to permanently avoid those things, but until the smoking monkey has been laid to rest it would be a good idea. 

My wife assures me that for the first month I was a real asshole (direct quote).  You will need the full support and understanding of those around you, even with the help of one of the drugs to reduce physical symptoms you will most likely exhibit a tendency toward impatience and intolerance.  Try sitting down ahead of time with your loved ones to discuss these things.

Good luck.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 11:39:14 AM »

One of my best friends in the world quit smoking cold turkey one year ago yesterday.  He had some assistance in making his decision.  Two little girls, his wife - and the doctors and nurses who implanted stints to improve blood flow to his heart.

Even though I see him all the time, I had marked the date on the calender - and made a point to call him yesterday.  He sees a behavioral therapist regularly.  Just wanting to stop was not enough.  Even one year out, statistics are still against him.  He said he won't be on the down side of the statistical bell curve until he has not smoked for another year and half.  He is determined to make it!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

vagabond6542

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 12:37:59 PM »

I wish to say  " Congratulations" on the desire to quit smoking.
I am a 65 yr person that has quit smoking 14 years ago.
From my personal experience, I have quit off and on for quite a few years.
It takes will power and determination to quit. The earlier posts about situations that create a "smoking atmosphere" to be avoided are real. But the mind-set of determination can change these habits.
I wish you all the good health that will benefit from changing your smoking habit to a non-smoking habit.

George/Vagabond

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 01:11:12 PM »

Congratulations on an excellent decision. I quit cold turkey five years ago and never looked back. I just kept thinking about the health issues, cost, smell, ect. and that was my incentive...best of luck to you!

Flyndyna
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 08:33:37 AM »

I was in the hospital room a little over a week ago with my wife and in-laws watching my father-in-law taking his last choking breaths before dying from emphysema.  He smoked for over forty years, and did until the day he went into the hospital for the last time.  Both of them smoked, and both of them "quit" several times in the last fifteen years.  Seeing him decline starting five or six years ago finally was enough to make her quit for good.  First he was not able to walk very far, then not able to do any of the things he enjoyed, went on an increasing list of medications and inhalors, oxygen part-time, landed in the hospital every few weeks, oxygen full-time, then was told he had three to five months and that he was not going home again.  He pretty much gave up at that point.  We took his dog in to see him a last time and he was dead a week later.

C.S. Lewis, who was writing in the forties and fifties when it was almost required to smoke, said that he could abstain, but he found it difficult to concentrate on anything else when he did.  Not smoking was a full-time occupation.  It is, it may be the most difficult thing you have done to this point.  But it is too important not to stop. 

From what I've seen I have to agree that cutting down doesn't work for most people, the number usually goes back up.  Cigarettes and alcohol have to be the most difficult things to quit - they are just so accessible.  Go places where it is not possible to smoke, avoid the situations where you would normally have one, make it as inconvenient as you can to go out and get a pack.   Find something that you can substitute to get you through just that particular craving.  Having someone who is also quitting (or is at least big enough to physically restrain you) can help.  Instead of going out for a smoke break call them and have them help you get through that.  Eventually it gets better.  If you need more motivation, call the pulmonary section of a hospital and arrange a visit, it's not something you want your family to go through. 
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »

These are good posts and good advice.  My 46 year old brother, 2 pack a day smoker, quit cold turkey the day he died of a heart attack in 2006.  He left a widow and 3 sons.  Seeing the pain that it caused our family is excellant incentive.  Will power is great to handle the strong urges.  Just keep the goal in mind and tell yourself that it will eventually pass.  Keep active, excercise and change your habits that you most associate with smoking (driving, 1st coffee in the morning, after eating etc.)  Instead, keep a bag of baby carrots in the car to munch on the way to work, go for a walk after dinner.  Clean the house thoroughly and clean your clothes and admire how much better everything smells now.

My Mom smoked for 50 years and quit nearly cold turkey.  Her way of cheating at her weakest moments was to light a cigarette and take a couple puffs and knock the ash off to save it for later.  She'd smoke one cigarette a day but it took her all day to do it.  She's been smoke free for 15 years.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 04:31:11 PM »

Thanks for all the tips. I have set a date, my son's birthday, to quit completely. I have already started changing my habits, and have gone from a pack and a half a day to 4 or 5 cigarettes. The chantix really helps, but I know that it won't make me quit completely unless I commit to doing it. I will use this thread often when I feel an craving. Again, thank you all!!
Member 4721

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 05:47:30 PM »

Keep trying the end result is well worth it. I have had more than one addiction over the years smoking is the WORST there is. I have not smoked in over 10 yrs and 25yrs for other things. Has anyone ever heard of a HARLEYHOLIC?  KB
kb

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 07:04:55 PM »

I tried quitting for over 20 years, I never bought a carton of smokes since I was always going to quit after the next pack. I finally quit 8 years ago cold turkey and will never smoke again. I tried setting dates to quit, I tried the nicorette gum, I even bought singles figuring that I would be able to quit easier if I just quit buying packs of cigarettes.

Listen to the suggestions that others have already mentioned and just stop smoking. IMO, if you set a date to quit on your son's birthday you will probably get too stressed out and if you aren't able to quit on that day it will be a big mental setback. Just quit tomorrow, forget about what day it is other than it is a good day to begin to improve your health.

Begin taking walks and breathing some fresh air, exercise, clean your house, go for a ride, drink some water, pick up a new hobby, buy some mouthwash so your breath will always smell and taste good, chew gum, eat more fruits and vegetables, go to bed early and get some extra sleep. After a few weeks of not smoking it will get easier. Become a non-smoker. Don't think that you can just have 1 puff or just have 1 smoke. As soon as you take that first puff, you are a smoker again and as any smoker and x-smoker knows...quitting ain't easy.

Since you have the desire to quit, imagine that you will succeed and take the first steps. Declare yourself a non-smoker. Best wishes for success!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 09:06:51 AM »

Janine, I'm still pulling for you!  Keep this thread handy for reference in your weakest moments!
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 09:12:04 AM »

Janine, I'm still pulling for you!  Keep this thread handy for reference in your weakest moments!

I won't lie and tell you that I have won this battle. I knew it wouldn't be easy and I am still struggling with my addiction. Thanks so much for your support. It really means a lot to me!
Member 4721
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 24 queries.