Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floor Boards and toe-heel controls?  (Read 2358 times)

SMOKIN' JACKET

• Full CVO Member
Floor Boards and toe-heel controls?
« on: June 14, 2008, 10:41:48 PM »

Just wondering.  I took a class on a police bike today.  Some kind of Kawasaki 1000.  It had floor boards and the heel shift.  I liked it!  Didn't scuff up my boots and the boards were pretty comfortable.  Dorky?  Maybe. 

What says the court of public opinion?  Do the floor boards make you feel more secure when riding?  The handlebars were also different.  The grips were positioned differently.  And, the bars came back quite a bit more.  The bike felt smaller because of this, I think.

"This thread is worthless without OPINIONS".  :orange: :orange: :orange:
Smokin' Jacket (wanna know why?)
2008 Screamin' Eagle Springer

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Floor Boards and toe-heel controls?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 10:57:48 PM »

go to a dealer and sit on a fatboy or a heritage and see how it feels in comparison to what you have.  you may feel like you have more control when riding with floor boards because you can put pressure on you entire foot not just the small surface of a peg
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 11:12:36 PM »

There are some heel rests or footboard type add-ons that will probably work on your Springer.  Don't know of any kind of add on for heel shift on forward controls, but it could exist.  Personally I don't use the heel shift -- took it off the new bike and others.  I like the freedom to move my foot around too much and the heel shifter cages it in.

Dave

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 11:15:56 PM »

on a softail i'm pretty sure the stock forwards and and floorboard w/ heel-toe shifters mount to the same location

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 09:04:18 AM »

Some people like floorboards, and Harley made a springer with them up until last year. Had a big fat front tire and fender.  But styling is at issue here. The springer you have is set up to look like a lean mean machine. It wouldn't look right with floor boards. Also, floor boards are not really considered more preferable for comfort — the Honda Goldwing and the BMW touring bike don't have them. They are more of a personal preference retro thing. I've had them on bikes, and enjoyed them, but I would not put them on the CVO springer.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 09:19:04 AM »

Some departments believe that floorboards offer a bit more protection to the rider in everything that you said. And the officers don't scuff up their dress boots while on duty. When leaning the bike way over, boots are less likely to come off a scraping board then a dragging footpeg. The bars are different to make the bike easier to handle at slow speed. They allow the rider to go lock to lock and still remain up right and not having lean way out over the tank.

Those KZPs are damn good bikes and they are fun to ride. By the way, I have a seat that is cut down lower and narrower so when you come take my course it should fit you better.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Sean M Cary

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 09:30:04 AM »

There are some heel rests or footboard type add-ons that will probably work on your Springer.  Don't know of any kind of add on for heel shift on forward controls, but it could exist.  Personally I don't use the heel shift -- took it off the new bike and others.  I like the freedom to move my foot around too much and the heel shifter cages it in.

Dave

Same - my SERK is my first bike with floorboards - and my size 13 did not fit with the heel shifter (or the stock shifter and brake)...

EZ Brake/Shifter and spacer from EZ Brake.

Sean

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 10:34:10 AM »

I love the comfort of the floorboards and the heel toe shifter.  Thought about it for about a minute, and have never looked back. I love it.  For my husband he has the extended shifter so his foot fits completely on his floor board with the heel toe shifter not in his road. I actually have a smaller foot and so I like my heel shifter high and I pull my foot back into it when riding and it helps me keep my foot firmly on the boards.  When you have to stand to cross over a rail track or something like that it is also easier. 

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 04:47:39 PM »

slight  :jack: but i just put floor board extenders on my SERK, got tired of my size 12s not fitting with the heel to shifter

SMOKIN' JACKET

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 01:09:56 AM »

Some departments believe that floorboards offer a bit more protection to the rider in everything that you said. And the officers don't scuff up their dress boots while on duty. When leaning the bike way over, boots are less likely to come off a scraping board then a dragging footpeg. The bars are different to make the bike easier to handle at slow speed. They allow the rider to go lock to lock and still remain up right and not having lean way out over the tank.

Those KZPs are damn good bikes and they are fun to ride. By the way, I have a seat that is cut down lower and narrower so when you come take my course it should fit you better.

Mark

Hi Mark,

That's good to hear. That was my biggest problem-not being able to touch the ground by more than a few toes!  Actually, it wasn't my BIGGEST problem.  Tiny little u-turns come to mind.....

Marie
Smokin' Jacket (wanna know why?)
2008 Screamin' Eagle Springer

Sean M Cary

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 06:21:41 AM »

slight  :jack: but i just put floor board extenders on my SERK, got tired of my size 12s not fitting with the heel to shifter

Which ones? Out or Out and Forward??

Sean

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 06:29:20 AM »

Jamey put this extender on his bike -
Hi all,
Still new to the forum, I just finished this thread and the idea of the spacers sounds good and I thought I'd add a fix I put on. I know I'm not the only one with a good sized boot, but I haven't seen a mention of a  extended shift lever. I put one on the rear and love having my entire boot on the floorboard. Mine came from http://www.waltersworkshop.com/extended-shift-levers.html and it was worth every penny.
If anyone has more info on the XM set up or the communication set up mentioned a few pages earlier, I'd love to see it. I know,  [smiley=worthless.gif] We'll fix it soon. We have the B/B and Cherry and Orange & Black F-250, So I owe!  [smiley=oops.gif]

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 09:54:37 AM »

Which ones? Out or Out and Forward??

Sean

just out, longer hardware and spacers

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 09:59:57 AM »

I love the floor boards and heel shifter.  I don't think I've ever used the top of my boot shift.  My 11.5's fit under the break and toe shifter and the boards allow for minor foot movement when riding distances.  The other benefit is having a little more protection from hot exhaust pipes.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.