Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Harmonics in the valve train, maybe?  (Read 5989 times)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Harmonics in the valve train, maybe?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 01:15:44 PM »

These twin cam motors make noise is an accurate statement.

One root cause is the SE255 cam is very short duration in relation to the lift.
More contributers are:
The SE springs have high pressure but that is needed for the huge heavy intake valves
If synthetic oil is used this has a tendency to aerate (air captured in the oil, not seen with higher visc dino oils), lifters collapse and valvelash is introduced
Lower effective lift shortens valve events and traps heat in the heads which superheats oil, more lash problems

This is a vicious cycle

Solution
Switch to 50w oil and 20/50 conventional oil in the winter
Change the cam, an Andrews 32h makes a great replacement bolt-in and runs quiet
Headwork and spring change to beehives

Sidenote
I recently have tested the SE CVO110 heads stock brand new and the airflow is pathetic (very close to the same as the stock 96" head). I was very surprised because they look very robust and have large (too big) valves. These need some work to get them to be good performers. There is a lot more torque and power hidden in these motors than many are seeing and are accepting as the norm IMO.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »

These twin cam motors make noise is an accurate statement.

One root cause is the SE255 cam is very short duration in relation to the lift.
More contributers are:
The SE springs have high pressure but that is needed for the huge heavy intake valves
If synthetic oil is used this has a tendency to aerate (air captured in the oil, not seen with higher visc dino oils), lifters collapse and valvelash is introduced
Lower effective lift shortens valve events and traps heat in the heads which superheats oil, more lash problems

This is a vicious cycle

Solution
Switch to 50w oil and 20/50 conventional oil in the winter
Change the cam, an Andrews 32h makes a great replacement bolt-in and runs quiet
Headwork and spring change to beehives

Sidenote
I recently have tested the SE CVO110 heads stock brand new and the airflow is pathetic (very close to the same as the stock 96" head). I was very surprised because they look very robust and have large (too big) valves. These need some work to get them to be good performers. There is a lot more torque and power hidden in these motors than many are seeing and are accepting as the norm IMO.

Hmmm, wonder where we've heard these things before!!! ::) ::) ::) ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 02:44:25 PM »

Hmmm, wonder where we've heard these things before!!! ::) ::) ::) ;)

Hoist! 8)

This is a new view for me. It actually defies all of what I have been taught in tribology classes. I do trust the source and know that very extensive testing was done to arrive at this conclusion. My source Reggie Ronzello Sr, R&R cycle.

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 03:07:11 PM »

The surprise is that sounds like a decent dealer!

I had my 08 SERK go in for 5000 mile service and my local dealer did the head gaskets at the same time. When I finally got to ride, I heard what sounded like valve train noise. It turned out to be the bolts that hold the air cleaner backing plate were never tightened properly WTF WTF.Doesn't anybody take pride in what they do anymore? KB
kb

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 03:09:50 PM »

No.....
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.