Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2009 Test Ride  (Read 4186 times)

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
Re: 2009 Test Ride
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 12:06:29 PM »

Steve,

I test rode a 2009 SEUC last Saturday....as reported I felt the scoot was very sluggish....had a lot of noise in first and second gear in the drive train.

napalm
napalm

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 02:15:15 PM »

I rode the CUSE and the SERG yesterday and I liked them both, but only because I've ridden enough "stock" bikes that I didn't expect too much.  It's a shame that we all buy bikes that just aren't what they should be from the factory and especially with the price tag on these bikes.  It's gonna take filter, pipes, and tuning to get either of these bikes performing like and sounding like they should.  For now, I'm content with my '06 CUSE and '07 SERK.  I'd like to make sure that I've got one 110 engine fixed before I take on another.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 03:40:57 PM »

I thought the frame was beefed up to haul some of the 200 lbs wives guys are sporting around these days... :bananarock:
Careful with that coment :o

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 04:10:43 PM »

Careful with that coment :o

:D  :D  :D  :D

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 04:29:46 PM »

I just test drove a 2009 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic at Bumpus Harley Davidson in Memphis.  They have all of the 2009 bikes there this week for demo rides.  (I thought no one saw these until Sturgis?  go figure.)  Anyway, the line-up looks pretty good for 2009.  I would have to say the highlight is the new Screamin' Eagle FatBob.  Awesome.  But I digress...   I signed up for the test ride and was soon astride the shiny new SE Ultra.  It started right up and we headed out.  Of course being lead on this type of ride doesn't allow you to wring it out, but I was able to turn the throttle a couple times.  Bottom line:  underwhelmed.  It doesn't seem to have much torque for a 110.  In fact, immediately after riding this I hopped on my buddy's 2008 Ultra, and it felt a bit stronger.  Another point of interest was the noise the air intake made.  It was unlike any other Harley I have ever ridden, and basically it sounded constricted - perhaps this is one of the primary culprits robbing this engine's power.

Harley also advertises the 2009 Touring bikes as having an all new frame.  Granted I didn't ride this bike very long, but nothing stood out.  Maybe if I were in a fairly hard turn at 75 mph?

I don't want to sound too negative - it was nicely appointed and rode smoothly, it just didn't feel like it had much power.

I liken the sound to in the old days of being cool you would turn your air cleaner top cover over on your 2-barrel car carb and roar away. 

At first on my new '08 SERK the exhaust was quiet enough all I heard was the air cleaner noise.  It sounded very much like the old flip the lid noise.  I think it has to do with the tuning of the plastic back cover and the intake ports in the cover.

With the SE AC and the V&H Ovals I hear nothing of the air cleaner any more.

I had only ridden my old '76 Shovel FLH for any length and the new SERK has more get up and go than I expected, but maybe the '08s are faster than the '09s, who knows.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 09:18:57 AM »

Has anyone else had a chance to ride the SE ultra Classic at any demos? Thanks

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 09:27:10 AM »

Yup.... and despite some comments here I thought it was a great ride.

The new tire actually helps the balance and ride.  Very smooth and I really like the way the seat fits and rides

I think it is well worth the money and like what MOCO did with the paint this year.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 11:09:02 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I have not had a chance to ride one yet, but have red some positive comments about handling in AIM and Popular Mechanics. Saw all 3 paint schemes for the Ultra-Classic at the 105th in Milwaukee. If the production models are same as the displays at the MOCO tent, they were great and probably even better in sun light. Hope to take a test drive at Ukes HD when they have a demo event coming soon.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »

Demo Days coming my way in 3 weeks. Plan on testing the new Ultra and the Fat Bob and maybe a V-Rod. One of the service techs made a statement last week that he cant tell any difference in ride quality on the new 2009 Ultras, other other then a bit less vibration. Hell, don't know about you folks but i like the vibration. The only thing i really like on the 2009 is the rear fat tire. Someday when i feel the need to blow 4K I'll install a fat tire on my 2008  :jalapeno: and be in happly plannet

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 08:40:55 PM »

After seeing all three of the SE Ultra Classics in Milwaukee, I'd be willing to take any one of the three and be satisfied.  All I've got to do now is find someone to give me one.  There have been previoius bikes where I said that I wouldn't ride it if you gave it to me, but I would not say that about any of the '09 Ultras.

drallan

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 10:51:13 PM »

With only 500km on the '09 and having come from a stock '08, I have noticed a few differences. These are not in any order nor do my comparisons come from years of riding Harleys. Since it isn't broken in, I obviously haven't put it to the spirited riding test yet. 1) less vibration at idle and at speed 2) lower sitting position and more comfortable seat 3) Less heat. Not a radical difference but noticeable. 4) Less wallowy in a corner, especially a corner with a dip or bump in it. Certainly not sport bikeish nor expected to be but much less disconcerting. 4) XM antenna still sucks. Gotta move it. 5) Still get helmet buffeting over 90-100km. Didn't expect it to go away but damn, it's annoying. Yes, I've tried 4 windshields and adjusted everything. 5) Drop dead gorgeous colour, octane orange/autumn haze.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.