2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: oil
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 10:51:32 PM »

Yea, I have the Oil Bible too, more info than you'll ever want to know about oil!

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 01:26:14 AM »

Run Royal purple synthetic ATF in your primary, what a difference it works better than anything I have tried, probably part of the reason the clutch works so good. I tried Mobil synthetic ATF but you can tell the difference with the royal purple.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 03:21:19 PM »

Run Royal purple synthetic ATF in your primary, what a difference it works better than anything I have tried, probably part of the reason the clutch works so good. I tried Mobil synthetic ATF but you can tell the difference with the royal purple.

Just curious. Doesn't ATF swell the fibre plates ? Wouldn't that cause premature wear ?  :nixweiss:

I'm game to try it if the above questions are all answered in the negative

B B

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 01:16:21 AM »

Wet clutch plates have the same material on them as the plates in an automatic tranny S&S and Baker both Recommend ATF the only thing that will swell clutch plates is motor oil depending on the material of the plates try using motor oil in your auto tranny it will slip like hell and ruin it.
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 08:37:22 AM »

I run Redline MTL, but as I have said in the past, I think it's overkill! All you really doing is dissipating heat, not much in the way of lubrication going on. So Beast what improvements did you see with the Royal Purple? I saw a big improvement when I switched to Redline Heavy Shock in the trans, but haven't noticed any change in the clutch/primary with anything I've used there.

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 09:01:55 AM »

My 2 cents worth, being a rider and a non motorhead. When my bike was serviced at 15,000, The HD syn was done away with and Amsoil was used in all three. Got 21,000 now, it's been changed twice scince then. I have noticed gears are a little quieter. No leaks, no oil related problems.
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 09:06:32 AM »

When you pull the clutch in and put it in 1st no clunk, I thought it was because of the new S&S clutch but I ran out of Royal purple so put in the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF the clunk was back, I then switched back to the royal purple clunk was gone, also smoother engagement easier shifting, really noticeable differences. I would be careful about putting any gear oil in the primary as this has totally different properties. ATF is designed to work with wet cluch plates, lubricate but not slip, actually thats exactly what Baker uses in their KKK clutch is the plates out of the GM automatic transmission. Just so you know I have a lubrication engineer on my staff his job of course is to know about oil, this is who advises me on the different properties as we uses so many speciaty lubricants in our equipment especially since running in extreme conditions as it gets over 140 degrees here outside. If you look in the S&S instruction sheets and the baker instruction sheets they both recommend ATF for their clutches I also think this is the same with the Pro clutch.
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 12:32:21 PM »

Classic Beast is right in the money, when I installed the Rivera Pro Clutch in the 03 RGthey advised to use Delkron ATF in the Primary. Am using Red Line MTL now in the 04 SEEG, may change it out to ATF next service before I take bike down to Phoenix for the winter.

geezerglide

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 12:45:19 PM »

I'll stick with the MTL, I don't have any issues with engagement/clutch. I did get rid of some clunking when going to Heavy Shock in the trans, made it shift like butter!

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2008, 01:42:17 PM »

Yes I like the red line heavy in the tranny too as thats what Baker recommended at the time but I see now they are promoting a different oil not red line, it would be interesting to know why they changed? I found up to a certain power level with the clutch it really isn't that critical but when your running it to the Max HP like I am every little bit helps. My pro clutch wouldn't hold it but the S&S clutch will without a problem. It would be interesting to hear if the Royal purple ATF would get the same results as I did with the stock clutch in a stock bike. The way to tell is hold the clutch in for a minute or so in neutral then shift it into 1st and see if it changes with the different oil. The other thing I notice is when on my bike stand with the engine running I pull in the clutch and the rear wheel stops right away with the royal purple and with anything else it will keep turning longer.
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.