Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rocker Box Gaskets, Do you replace them all?  (Read 8724 times)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Rocker Box Gaskets, Do you replace them all?
« on: August 08, 2009, 07:06:04 PM »

My FXR4 at 7500 miles, 2000 miles since started riding it in April just developed the rear rocker box leak.  I've gone over most of the posts here from Mikey, Tim, etc but have one question:
Do you always replace everything at least down to the head?  It would seem much easier to change the upper gaskets without getting into the rockers, pushrods, etc.  Not trying to be lazy.
Which gaskets usually leak?
It was a small drip this morning them it started squirting out and spraying on everything.  I thought it strange to have a gasket just let go without any warning.

Its nice to have another bike in the garage!
 :bananarock:
Any day on the bike is a good day.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Rocker Box Gaskets, Do you replace them all?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 11:17:54 PM »

if it were me, and I had a leak in the rocker box, I'd remove all 3 pieces and replace all of the rocker box gaskets, including the base rocker box gasket along with the internal ones between the boxes (the neoprene rubber ones).  I'd use a James gasket for the base rocker box (this is the gasket that sits on TOP OF THE HEAD and before the base rocker box goes on. Then for the internal rocker box gaskets I'd use HD gaskets, INCLUDING replacement of the umbrella valves (again, using HD parts there also).

However, you didn't tell us which part of the rocker box has the leak  ?? 

Once my base rocker box gaskets started leaking, it wasn't long before it was a mess and couldn't be ridden far out of fear that I'd develop such a bad leak that I couldn't get home.

It was this leak that finally pushed me over the edge to start my build. I had my parts for 8 months, sitting in the garage, all I had to do was start the project .... once the leak got so bad, I really had no choice ...... now I laugh about it .........

Good luck ....

don't forget to post up your questions and pictures as you proceed !!

2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 11:50:53 PM »

if it were me, and I had a leak in the rocker box, I'd remove all 3 pieces and replace all of the rocker box gaskets, including the base rocker box gasket along with the internal ones between the boxes (the neoprene rubber ones).  I'd use a James gasket for the base rocker box (this is the gasket that sits on TOP OF THE HEAD and before the base rocker box goes on. Then for the internal rocker box gaskets I'd use HD gaskets, INCLUDING replacement of the umbrella valves (again, using HD parts there also).

However, you didn't tell us which part of the rocker box has the leak  ??  

Once my base rocker box gaskets started leaking, it wasn't long before it was a mess and couldn't be ridden far out of fear that I'd develop such a bad leak that I couldn't get home.

It was this leak that finally pushed me over the edge to start my build. I had my parts for 8 months, sitting in the garage, all I had to do was start the project .... once the leak got so bad, I really had no choice ...... now I laugh about it .........

Good luck ....

don't forget to post up your questions and pictures as you proceed !!

Mikey,
I couldn't exactly tell how far up the leak was and its origination.  I guess I'll watch it run now that it's been brake cleaned.  I may let a shop do it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:01:20 AM by skreminegul07 »

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 03:43:35 PM »

It's leaking just at the top of the cylinder.  Front rocker box is leaking as well.  The FXR must have caught the leak from the SERK3 in the garage this winter.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 04:00:47 PM »

My FXR4 at 7500 miles, 2000 miles since started riding it in April just developed the rear rocker box leak.  I've gone over most of the posts here from Mikey, Tim, etc but have one question:
Do you always replace everything at least down to the head?  

For me this one is a question of simple efficiencies.  The gaskets are relatively inexpensive.  While not all that difficult to change they're difficult enough you don't really want to do it twice.  And it's only a few minutes more work to change them all as opposed to just the upper.  So if the tank is already off and it's already all but just a few bolts apart anyway; change the set.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »

For me this one is a question of simple efficiencies.  The gaskets are relatively inexpensive.  While not all that difficult to change they're difficult enough you don't really want to do it twice.  And it's only a few minutes more work to change them all as opposed to just the upper.  So if the tank is already off and it's already all but just a few bolts apart anyway; change the set.

Agreed.

Can you remove the pushrods intact or do you have to cut them?  I am not intending on removing the heads.

Today I checked out my buddies 98 Softtail Springer.  They have a hole in the frame to access the rear most bolt on the rear cylinder.  Nice.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 04:21:23 PM »

Agreed.

Can you remove the pushrods intact or do you have to cut them?  I am not intending on removing the heads.

Today I checked out my buddies 98 Softtail Springer.  They have a hole in the frame to access the rear most bolt on the rear cylinder.  Nice.

With the top loose as you'll have it you don't have to cut the pushrods.  Tighter on the rear than on the front of course.  But there's room.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 08:07:48 PM »

With the top loose as you'll have it you don't have to cut the pushrods.  Tighter on the rear than on the front of course.  But there's room.

Thanks

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 01:17:08 AM »

As others have already stated, do them all!. The rear is a bitch but can be done easier by removing the front motor mount and lowering the motor in the frame (use a flat jack to support it).

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 08:09:54 PM »

Had a trusted indy shop do front & rear complete in two days for a bit over $200.  Well worth it.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 07:30:02 AM »

good price
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 08:49:44 AM »

good price

Very fair, nice shop.  He used to be the SM at the local HD shop.  Very much like Hd-dude (Jim).  If I don't do the the work, Eddie does it.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 11:03:19 AM »

If it were me....lol, I would go back and reread what I posted in the previous THREAD:

CLICK HERE

about which exact parts to use.....they are right there for you to write down and use those and I also agree that you should replace all rocker cover gaskets (front and rear cylinders) as a set.

It's like anything though....these evo's are known for their base gasket leaks as well....so there you sit....with only a few bolts more....because if you don't go after the base gasket and then it leaks later because it does so later....well as long as you are ok with "potentially" diggin into the situation twice....don't worry about it. I did have to replace my rocker cover gaskets twice because of the James rubber neoprene gaskets failing....but having done it twice neither time resulted in any "base" gasket leaks as a result....and here we are what 10 years later given the age of the bike and they are still working......

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 11:11:28 AM by FXR2evo99 »

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 25 queries.