Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: BEST ALL AROUND CAM  (Read 13769 times)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: BEST ALL AROUND CAM
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 05:59:42 PM »

Guess what Dave, I'll betcha the 570 (same as your other bike) 07up version would work even better in your stock motor. I base that hypothesis on the flow numbers we see on stock heads. A custom tune will always be preferred to a canned map as motors vary (even with identical parts), injectors vary and what works for one may be fine or not it's a gamble.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 09:03:47 AM »

I seem to remember Dewy getting some good results from the 32s, and Don from dewys heads has luck with the woods 5 or 6, but I have seen nothing on the andrews 37 which the 110 may lack the 9.8to1 comprision for.  The 570s&s was another chose from some other guys that seem to be happy with. Althought I beleive they would need to have some head work done to run them.  Doc
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:40:27 AM by HDDOCFL »

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 01:08:12 PM »

Guess what Dave, I'll betcha the 570 (same as your other bike) 07up version would work even better in your stock motor. I base that hypothesis on the flow numbers we see on stock heads. A custom tune will always be preferred to a canned map as motors vary (even with identical parts), injectors vary and what works for one may be fine or not it's a gamble.

I thought the S&S 570 cam need more compression than the SE 110 motor has.  My understanding is it needs around 10:1 comp.

I have also heard and read that the 110 really needs more comp than it comes with like around 9.8:1 or so. 

If the compresson was moved up then wouldn't a S&S 585 be an even better choice?

I am a much bigger fan of Great Mid range torque than High RPM HP
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 01:59:56 PM »

The 32h seems to be a real nice bolt-in for these bikes and Dewey used that on his 07. I rode it and it was very docile well manored and had power everywhere. Cooled the motor down too. He only used a TFI tuning device and no timing or redline changes and he made 103hp and 118tq (5,200 max) IIRC and that was with the stock mufflers and a baffle he made very similar to a cycle shack. Only mods to the heads was the addition of a 2.120 intake valve which corrects the 93% throat down to 90% and this change actually had no effect on HP or Max TQ but increased the midrange TQ numbers as expected. I have used a few TW7 Woods cams and they HP/TQ about the same. One of those with a poor tune and longshots made 105hp 118TQ. A pipe change and retune would have changed that considerably.
Have  some out there with different cams and will wait for results. I like the TW5 and TW6 but haven't tried these yet in the 110. On paper both look promising. There are so many good cams that will work really there is no "best". Depends entirely on what the rider wants. Many like the big low end TQ of the stock SE255 cam.
BTW the motor with 0 deck which I suspect few have is 9.6/1 stock. The 570 is happy there as would be many cams with about a 40 intake close and ~40 overlap. Remember our gas isn't getting any better and few want bar hopper high fliers dyno queens, they ride them hard and hot.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 03:13:32 PM »

Depends entirely on what the rider wants. Many like the big low end TQ of the stock SE255 cam.
BTW the motor with 0 deck which I suspect few have is 9.6/1 stock. The 570 is happy there as would be many cams with about a 40 intake close and ~40 overlap. Remember our gas isn't getting any better and few want bar hopper high fliers dyno queens, they ride them hard and hot.

I am a big fan of the low to mid range big torque.  That is how my Fatboy was set up.  I also do really like the way the torque curve is on the SE 110 in my Road Glide.  I am not interested in dyno queen or bar hopper.  Rather a stong rider that can run 500 mile days with tons of torque.  That is why I like what fullsac did with the Andrews 54 cam.  Seemed the torque curve was very similar in shape to stock, just higher all the way across.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 08:53:05 PM »

If you are looking for a bolt in cam. Look for a cam that will have the max lift for your stock heads and a low duration. This will give your big inch motor stump pulling TQ. H/P does not really matter, unless you are looking for bragging rights. If your TQ curve goes up so will your H/P

If you are going to do any head work and change the pistons I would look at the S&S 625. It will make some good power for your big inch motor!

Be Safe

THE DAWG   
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 09:15:22 PM »

DC you are on the right page but with ports and valves large and the 54 intake close the 625 would be a race deal, not real fun down low and lot's of downshifting, plus the TB will nose over when the cam just starts to come on strong.

Most guys just want a fat torque curve. They call me up and swear "more horsepower" and when I start asking the questions it is nearly always evident they want a big wide fat torque curve. They insist on big everything and high compression then when I ask th questions and things like 500 mile days and hot 2up riding comes up that program gets reassessed. It takes compression (more but not overkill) and a cam like I described to build the torque. Headwork done properly helps the cause too. HP rides shotgun and is part of the formula.

What is important to remember with these motors is the TB becomes a restraint when you try to cam up and massage the heads for high rpm, in excess of 5,700. Everything must match. More on the TB later, I will start a new thread however. I will have some data based on testing the SE58 and stock FBW.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 10:08:14 PM »

DC you are on the right page but with ports and valves large and the 54 intake close the 625 would be a race deal, not real fun down low and lot's of downshifting, plus the TB will nose over when the cam just starts to come on strong.

Most guys just want a fat torque curve. They call me up and swear "more horsepower" and when I start asking the questions it is nearly always evident they want a big wide fat torque curve. They insist on big everything and high compression then when I ask th questions and things like 500 mile days and hot 2up riding comes up that program gets reassessed. It takes compression (more but not overkill) and a cam like I described to build the torque. Headwork done properly helps the cause too. HP rides shotgun and is part of the formula.

What is important to remember with these motors is the TB becomes a restraint when you try to cam up and massage the heads for high rpm, in excess of 5,700. Everything must match. More on the TB later, I will start a new thread however. I will have some data based on testing the SE58 and stock FBW.

I'll be looking forward to that post.

JW

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 09:19:19 AM »

I'll be looking forward to that post.

JW
Yea me too. I guess for now I will do the Andrews 54 and hope it's worth it!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 09:31:02 AM »

Has anyone asked Jim, hd-dude what he thinks?
He is the best of the best and I bet he has an opinion!

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 10:11:45 AM »

Andrews has coverage and depending on the need can cover all the bases with either the 32, 37 or 54 (all basically the same with different lift, LSA, and associated overlap). There is no silver bullet cam. Many others fall in this same category too and will work well. The S&S cams for example.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 25 queries.