Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 65,000 miles on my 09----over 30 major breakdowns...what is going on  (Read 3583 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: 65,000 miles on my 09----over 30 major breakdowns...what is going on
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 07:46:31 AM »

My 09 has had problems after the first 1000 miles and Harley still can't find out how to fix it. Harley lawyers offered me a $1500 in store credit for a bike that is still broken and still under warranty. No mention of how they plan to fix it. I'll keep you posted on how the lawyers figure it out. This is my 6th HD in 15 years and the first one with any major problems.
Bill

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 08:04:59 AM »

YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED----I JUST WANT MY SCOOTER DEPENDABLE---

Thanks Nudels!

YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED

I'd never argue with a man that has put 65K miles on his bike in 2 years.
Can I ask what the "over 30 major breakdowns" were?

:nixweiss:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Big-T

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09" SERG O&B
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 08:20:44 AM »

My 09 has had problems after the first 1000 miles and Harley still can't find out how to fix it. Harley lawyers offered me a $1500 in store credit for a bike that is still broken and still under warranty. No mention of how they plan to fix it. I'll keep you posted on how the lawyers figure it out. This is my 6th HD in 15 years and the first one with any major problems.

What is the problem?
Never too old to Rock N Roll but too young to die!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 09:31:30 AM »

I'd never argue with a man that has put 65K miles on his bike in 2 years.
Can I ask what the "over 30 major breakdowns" were?

:nixweiss:

SBB

1 flat tire and ran out of gas 29 times.   :bananarock: :oops: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

nudels2u75

• nudels2u
  • Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4--SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4--Traded-N-
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 09:38:38 PM »

compression release blew out of rear cylinder---new head and compression release
oil pump went out
primary sprocket and bearings went out twice
clutch has gone out 3 times
clutch locked up twice and rebuild primary
clutch basket stripped out spline
primary chain has been replaced at leat twice
The top end has been rebuilt at least 3 times---new heads again----new cylinders----
the cams replaced====had bad groves on it
oil pump replaced again----bad groves on it
throttle body---would not responde---driving along and just would act like broke throttle cable--electronics-probably over 50 times stranded
replaced complete wireing harness----wires that went to horn and throttle body were just deteroating---like they had no or little strands in them
top end rattleing real bad
tremendous loss of power
this is just to mention a few---I would have to do some real brain-storming to document all of the problems

HD could have replaced this motor several times over for what they have spent on this one====6 more months of the factory warranty (NO MORE DEALERSIPS THEN) and then I go into my 5 years of extendid warranty----I can take it anywhere then

This is my 5th brand new Harley in 7 years and probably my last for a while
"I see the horizon and no destination in sight"

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 09:47:46 PM »

compression release blew out of rear cylinder---new head and compression release
oil pump went out
primary sprocket and bearings went out twice
clutch has gone out 3 times
clutch locked up twice and rebuild primary
clutch basket stripped out spline
primary chain has been replaced at leat twice
The top end has been rebuilt at least 3 times---new heads again----new cylinders----
the cams replaced====had bad groves on it
oil pump replaced again----bad groves on it
throttle body---would not responde---driving along and just would act like broke throttle cable--electronics-probably over 50 times stranded
replaced complete wireing harness----wires that went to horn and throttle body were just deteroating---like they had no or little strands in them
top end rattleing real bad
tremendous loss of power
this is just to mention a few---I would have to do some real brain-storming to document all of the problems

HD could have replaced this motor several times over for what they have spent on this one====6 more months of the factory warranty (NO MORE DEALERSIPS THEN) and then I go into my 5 years of extendid warranty----I can take it anywhere then

This is my 5th brand new Harley in 7 years and probably my last for a while

Thanks nudels.
Sorry there has been so much trouble.
Reading your post makes me very thankful I didn't own your bike.
And compared to the list above, mine has been trouble free. (well almost)
You seem to love to ride and I wish you luck with your bike.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Chrome O

• 2009 SEUC Ruby Red
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 11:37:41 PM »

I HAD the same bike.  To many problems to list after 23k miles in two years.  Traded for the new 2011 Screaming Eagle Rode Glide... Flawless so far,,, 5k miles. 
Sorry you are having all the problems.

Go for the lemon law.
What ever you think   ----your right---

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 09:37:08 AM »

Lemon laws rarely help with that kind of mileage.  Based on what most consider to be the life of a motorcycle, his bike has had about 4 lifetimes already.

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to say which failures were a result of original p-poor quality, and which failures basically resulted from p-poor repair work by the dealers.  But I'm willing to bet that many of those repeat failures were a direct result of botched repair attempts or overlooked problems during repair attempts.  It's one of the big reasons I'm so outspoken about Harley's constant failure to get stuff right the first time.  Sure, there is a warranty (if you can get them to honor it).  But invariably whenever I've had warranty work performed I've had subsequent failures, and eventually I just fixed the crap myself.  So to me the warranty is fairly meaningless, and the actual quality and reliability of the original product is by far the most important consideration.  Style and "the sound" don't get you down the road and back home again, quality and reliability does.  Serious riders should think about that before making their next purchase.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 09:43:17 AM »

maybe a bad day on the assembly line?  I am on my 3rd bike since 2005 and the worse thing i had go wrong on all 3 bikes is a clutch actuater (spelling sucks, but you get the drift).  Sometimes #%it happens, but there has to be more to this story?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

nudels2u75

• nudels2u
  • Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 11:45:54 AM »

I do agree that there is a Nationwide epidemic of Harley mechanics that are not trained to do anything except install new chrome parts---Most of the time they can not even get that right the first time=====
I also think that most of the problems that have occurred while being worked on----the mechanics are not knowledagble enough to diagnose the problem....

On several occassions I have picked it up from a shop with a major breakdown and not even 1,000 miles have another major breakdown

It is in the shop right with major break down----about 4 weeks later it is ready===within 3-4 hundred miles has another major break down
Another 3-4 weeks in the shop---go to pick it up---I ride it down the road about 10 miles and back and tell them something is not right====within 3-4 hundred miles it is another major break down===They have repaired it again===something is just not right
It is in the shop as we speak with #3 in a row====Now they are telling me to just come pick it up and bring it back when it breaks down again

HD could have replaced this motor several times over for what they have spent on this one====6 months my warranty with HD will expire and then I can take it where I want with my additional 5 years of extendid warranty===Mechanics there are real motor mechanics

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2010, 01:59:11 PM »

Have you ever written to HD . and if so have hey contacted you? I have a long list of repairs. Never the same problem  twice. my dealer is great always fixes the bike quickly. gives me loaner NC. Just not sure what to buy next for wife or for me .  Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

nudels2u75

• nudels2u
  • Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2010, 02:08:15 PM »

Yes I have written HD a 7 page letter/attorney/attorney general/ yes I did get a response it was with a 2007 Dyna that was broke down more than this one====The only response we did get was a out of court settlement with corporate====paid my attorney in full and gave me a $3,500.00 gift card for stealership of my choice....

I have not written any letters with this scooter as of yet====I want to keep this one ===I would just love for them to make it dependable====I amy have to just replace the motor on my own====all of the problems are within the motor====Or just take it to a Harley mechanic that does not work for the dealership might work....thanks Nudels

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2010, 02:52:30 PM »

Someone made a good point.  I haven't had any problems becasue only 1 technician has worked on all 3 of my bikes!  A lot of these guys only know how to put on accessories.  a good tech that gives a crap is hard to find, I followed this guy to 2 different stores.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.