Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Ignition Control Switch, 2011 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide  (Read 12807 times)

doode

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic - Crimson Mist/Dark Slate
    • CVO2: 2006 CVO Screamin Eagle V-Rod - SOLD
Re: Ignition Control Switch, 2011 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 06:28:45 PM »

Had the same problem on my '10 CVO Ultra Classic. Left me stranded though as I could not get the bike to power up. Standing over it sweating in the 108 degree heat in the full sun, I felt like kicking the bike over and shooting it!

Dealer to the rescue. They picked up the bike and replaced the switch along with two new keys. They had to wait on the CVO part so the bike gathered dust for about two weeks, but seems to be working fine now.

When the bike got the the dealership they couldn't get it to fire either until the tech smacked the ignition switch, then it engaged.......obviously something was wrong so they replaced it.

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 06:53:17 PM »

T-Hawk,

I believe you really need to read your owners manual. It will help you understand everything about your bike. Also in the back of the owners manual their are part numbers for a service manual & a CVO supplement. These are great manuals to have.  You can order them from LSHD1 or Surdyke. They discount all their parts 20%. I buy all my HD accessories thru them. Buy all your parts thru them & the H#LL with your dealer. Just research what you want to buy before order it. They have a restocking fee that is about 20%. I usually place a big order as they only charge 1 shipping price.

I hope this will help you being in Alaska & also so far away from another dealer.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:36:25 PM by DANNER55 »
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 06:58:48 PM »

T-Hawk,

I believe you really need to read your owners manual. It will help you understand everything about your bike. Also in the back of the owners manual their are part numbers for a service manual & a CVO supplement. These are great manuals to have.  You can order them from LSHD1 or Surdyke. They discount all their parts 20%. I buy all my HD accessories thru them. Buy all your parts thru them & the H#LL with your dealer. Just research what you want to buy before order it. They have a restocking fee that is about 20%. I usually place a big order as they only charge 1 shipping price.

I hope this will help you being in Alaska & also so far away from another dealer.

Thanks, I did manage to download an electronic service manual for my DWG, but haven't looked into getting one for the CVO.  I think instead of glossing over my owners manual, I'll need to actually get into it a little deeper.

Most of my research has been using this forum as a start, which is one of the many reasons I actually signed up to be a part of it.  It's been a very resourceful tool.

I like to see all the different opinions on stuff, and then research based on those that are similar to mine before making any drastic decisions... but so far, so good.

Thanks again,
Ted

"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 03:03:39 PM »

Sorry so late closing this issue out...

I followed the recommendation of using the remote to lock the switch and forks, along with the bags and everything is working as it should.

The problem I was encountering was self induced... using the key to lock the switch, and then using the remote to lock everything else.  Apparently the switch doesn't like to be locked out with the key (manually) and then re-locked (electronically) with the remote.

From here on out, everything gets locked with the remote only.

Thanks everyone,
Ted
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

CVOIRA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Scarlett Red Pearl & Dark Slate
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 11:46:56 PM »

Does anyone know if the 2010 cvo ultra which comes with remote locking bags and tourpak only can be upgraded to a remote ignition lock?  Don't understand why Harley didn't add the remote lock until late in the 2010 year on the crimson black. Tks

kerb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 02:46:10 PM »

The video in the link is pretty cool, but leaves some information out:

On the 2011 (and up, I assume) CVO, there is a wire that runs through the switch for the lock solenoid.  You can't remove the switch without removing the outer fairing and disconnecting the wire where it plugs in under the fairing next to the radio.  You will want to secure a "pull wire" to the solenoid wire before you remove the switch so that you can pull the solenoid wire back through when you are done.

Also, on the 2011 you turn the switch to "accessory" to remove it.  The little button that you push is on the opposite side of what's shown in the video.  On a 2011 the video is bass ackwards.

I did this myself about a week ago when I had the bike torn apart running power and ground for my new amp.

In answer to the last poster, I think you could probably get the new switch (with solenoid) and make it work on a 2010.
You'd have to figure out where to wire the solenoid in though.  Maybe splice in to the solenoid wire that goes to the bag locks.
If you try it and it breaks you get to keep both pieces though =)

kerb

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 03:36:28 PM »

CVOIRA,
 I imagine you could upgrade to the auto ignition lock. It will be a little pricey. I just had mine replaced under warranty. The work order bill was $415.95 plus labor $89.00. Then you will also have to buy the remotes. I don't believe they will mate up with your tour pak & saddlebag locks. If you need part#s let me know. I do have the SE parts catalog.
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.