Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Do all FI bikes need a tuner? I think that is my problem.  (Read 2581 times)

Onewheat

Re: Do all FI bikes need a tuner? I think that is my problem.
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 08:58:34 PM »

Take the cover and the filter off, and if the backplate looks like this:  http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441842407&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309402743&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309402743&locale=en_US&bmUID=1307291351819&bmLocale=en_US   or this:  http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448768356&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309402743&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309402743&locale=en_US&bmUID=1307291522894&bmLocale=en_US  (chrome version of the backplate)

...it's the High Flow kit that was commonly installed with muffler changes...all that was considered a "Stage 1" modification.

I finally got around to pulling my air cleaner off and had a looksie - it is a HD 29461-99, which as far as I can tell, is just a stock touring element.  I'm still confused on all of this.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 09:06:37 PM »

Not only is it stock, but it looks like it's damaged as well... the top appears to have been compressed and you can see two uncovered air holes into the body of the filter.  :o

Onewheat

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 12:25:29 AM »

I thought the top was deformed too, but the pleats are glued to the sideplates like that and the holes aren't through to the inside of the filter.  The one is just a hole through the bracket, and the other is for threading on the outer cover.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 01:47:34 PM »

That's definitely the stock air box that came on the bike, and is relatively restrictive with regards to air flow into the motor.  There are at least a dozen or so alternate intake systems out there.  I can't find the thread right now, but there used to be a thread on this site that had all the parts needed to "Roll your own" Screamin' Eagle air filter system, the basic components of which were the chome backplate, K&N air filter, O rings, etc.  Others are Arlen Ness, Zippers, Doherty, just to name a few.  As has been mentioned, you'd probably be ahead of the game if you checked the intake system for leaks, made sure the injectors are clean, etc.  In the process, put the better air filter kit on, then proceed with some kind of tuning device.  As mentioned previously, the Power Comander III would work well on this year model bike, and most tuners are familiar with that device.

Jerry (grc) was the member who originally had the thread about the "roll your own" intake...perhaps he will see this, or you could PM him and he could give you the parts list to order from your local HD shop, and you can get the K&N filter on line in a number of places.  I originally had this, and some slip ons on my '06 SEUC and was happy with the results with the HD ECM download available at the time.  I later went to Rinehart True Duals, so put a PCIII on the bike and got it tuned locally.  Ran like a top.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 02:56:49 PM »

Try this link for the "roll your own" thread:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=5725.0

I haven't checked the part numbers lately to see if they are all still active numbers, but if they aren't the dealership can find the updated replacement numbers.  Much better solution than the SE kit from H-D, IMHO.  Or you could try the Big Sucker kit from 'Ness, which comes with a K&N element.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 25 queries.