Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Cure for falling tour pak lid liner!!!  (Read 4935 times)

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
Re: Cure for falling tour pak lid liner!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 11:54:09 PM »

I just checked the HD forums and GUESS WHAT???? The SteveO on the HD forums rides an 08 white ultra just like this site's SteveO AND they both live in Tennessee. I wonder what the odds  are of these two being the same guy?? Just checked the statistics of the HD forum SteveO, and he still as of yesterday is still bashing his Harley on that forum. His most recent post is one of the reasons he leaves his Harley in the garage is because his choice of bikes is the one with reverse (his Goldwing). I guess he is not "man" enough to move a bike without reverse??? I seem to remember one of the CVO members who use to do the same with his beloved Victory,  but I believe he finally left the building, as they say.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 06:55:33 PM by 2harleys »

TheDangleShow

• CVO2: '97 Saturn (220k)
    • CVO3: '85 Mustang (Silver)
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 12:15:02 AM »

Total cost less than $2.00
A HD fix for $2? This has to be some kind of record!  8)
91 BP (SILVER)
Chrome license plate FRAME
Dip stick reads FULL (all 3 areas)

Beach Bum

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary Edition
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Road Glide
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 01:10:00 AM »

SteveO has been a member since 07 with only 29 posts.  With any luck, he has hit his high point in posts and will fade into the sunset.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 02:19:09 PM »

SteveO must have moved to Tennessee from somewhere else because we usually try to keep it peaceful here. Oh well, I guess he has to live somewhere.
Jesus is Lord

tperro

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »

Tnx I'll be ordering some of these...

sixgun95

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 11:57:15 PM »

Thanks!  Going to get some of these tomorrow.
2015 Ultra Limited Low

doode

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic - Crimson Mist/Dark Slate
    • CVO2: 2006 CVO Screamin Eagle V-Rod - SOLD
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 11:14:13 PM »

Wow. I have been meaning to attach that falling liner for awhile not and did it this weekend. First of all, i would say go pick up a half dozen or more of these clips at the dealer. They are cheap.

These are the same clips they use to route the wires under the liner and keep them against the tourpak lid. I put a couple more in the right places now those cables don't move around at all. Then I used the clips in conjunction with some industrial strength velco. I cut the velco to fit the liner in six place with the hook side on the lid side. Then I put the liner on. Predictably the adhesive didn't adhere to the liner, but the hooks from the other side of the velcro chew into that liner. It's not going anywhere......I don't think.

jddickenson

• JD Dickenson

• CVO1: 2012 Ultra Classic CVO, True Duals, Crushers, 14" Wild1 Chubby Bagger Apes
    • BusesAndMore.com
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 10:33:37 PM »

thanks for the tip

SMSgt B

• Full CVO Member
    • FL
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 09:27:16 AM »

Good tip but I still had problems with anything glued to it due to the heat here in FL.  I just bolted mine up by using the 4 luggage rack bolts. Just remove the luggage rack bolts, poke a hole in the liner where the luggage rack holes are at and re-install the bolts through the liner. Now that thing will never come down.

doode

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 01:06:51 AM »

Good tip but I still had problems with anything glued to it due to the heat here in FL.  I just bolted mine up by using the 4 luggage rack bolts. Just remove the luggage rack bolts, poke a hole in the liner where the luggage rack holes are at and re-install the bolts through the liner. Now that thing will never come down.

I have thought about doing that as well and may try it if in fact that industrial strength velcro doesn't hold up to the Texas heat. With that liner going through the four bolts, do the ends or edges sag or do you use some velcro on the outer edges?

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 08:28:14 AM »

I have thought about doing that as well and may try it if in fact that industrial strength velcro doesn't hold up to the Texas heat. With that liner going through the four bolts, do the ends or edges sag or do you use some velcro on the outer edges?

If you use the 3M Industrial Velcro, I guarantee it will never loose adheasion and if you want to remove it you have to use a heat gun.  This stuff is completly different then what your used to, it actually sticks and stays in place regardless if it's winter or summer..

https://www.bindingsource.com/Products/default.asp?categoryID=1826&CategoryName=3M%99+Dual+Lock%99+Reclosable+Fastener+w%2F+
Adhesive&gclid=CP2iv5OMza0CFasaQgod5AO7hQ
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:30:43 AM by cvobiker »

Ricks903

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 08:37:02 AM »

I used the industrial Velcro and it didn't come loose for me yet.

SMSgt B

• Full CVO Member
    • FL
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »

No sag at all and you won't need any velcro.  Hell, I tried hot gluing velcro strips to the lid and the heat here still loosened them up where it would fall.  Only thing that worked for me was bolting that damn thing up.

do-dahman

• do-dahman
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Under George's nose
    • TX

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE, Ivory and Gold delivered 12/17/11
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 11:32:05 PM »

Good ideas, I took my top liner off the first week and installed the Kuryakyn lid organizer. It is a great way to add a few things on top and still close the lid on a helmet. I like it better than the HD organizer because you can pull if off and carry into away if you want to. Has a handy mirror too. 
'84 FLT Tour Glide
5-speed
Blueprint stock engine
 '11 FLTRUSE
FuelMoto Header
Fullsac 2" Cores
Direct Link Tuned
Clearview shield 14.5" with vent
DayMaker Headlights
Sold 10/18
2017 FLHXSE
V&H Slipons

doode

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »

No sag at all and you won't need any velcro.  Hell, I tried hot gluing velcro strips to the lid and the heat here still loosened them up where it would fall.  Only thing that worked for me was bolting that damn thing up.

Well it's been cold here the last few days. Every time I open that flipping lid I wonder what I am going to see but it is holding so far. But when we have those 60+ days in a row of triple digit heat, I may end up bolting that thing up there as well.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 26 queries.