Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Heated Seats  (Read 6152 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Heated Seats
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »

Gotta hand over the Man card first  :P

His wife must be posting on his account again...   :2vrolijk_21:
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 02:05:20 AM »

lol may be I was wrong and it was a hour and it shut off.  sure felt like a hour and a half.  he he he 
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

Jerry/MD

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 09:32:35 AM »

I knew there was a time limit. Just couldn't remember if it was an hour or 1 1/2 hours. Didn't have access to my manual at the time I responded.

And yeah....I'm one of those anal guys who actually READS the Owners Manual. I suffer from chronic CRS...so it does come in handy. ;)

B.A.

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »

Sad part is I read it too.

What were we talking about? :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 02:03:15 PM »

OK, now that someone has admitted to actually reading the manual, we need to go back to the OP and look at the description of his particular problem.  He indicates his seat turns off after a few miles.  So unless he is moving really really slow, I'm going to guess that his is turning off well before the one hour timeout designed into the system.  He also indicates it cuts out after hitting a bump.  Since he doesn't mention blowing any fuses, I'd guess we are dealing with an intermittent open circuit.  The trick will be for him to find a competent shop with a good electrical tech who actually understands how the seat is supposed to work and who actually wants to find and fix the problem.  It sounds like he has already found one of the other kind, the ones who are always looking for excuses to not do any work.  You all know the type, they are the ones who always claim everything is normal and that "they all do that" before ever performing any real diagnostics or really listening to the customers description of the problem.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jerry/MD

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 06:43:30 PM »

OK, now that someone has admitted to actually reading the manual, we need to go back to the OP and look at the description of his particular problem.  He indicates his seat turns off after a few miles.  So unless he is moving really really slow, I'm going to guess that his is turning off well before the one hour timeout designed into the system.  He also indicates it cuts out after hitting a bump.  Since he doesn't mention blowing any fuses, I'd guess we are dealing with an intermittent open circuit.  The trick will be for him to find a competent shop with a good electrical tech who actually understands how the seat is supposed to work and who actually wants to find and fix the problem.  It sounds like he has already found one of the other kind, the ones who are always looking for excuses to not do any work.  You all know the type, they are the ones who always claim everything is normal and that "they all do that" before ever performing any real diagnostics or really listening to the customers description of the problem.

Jerry

Thanks for pointing out the original problem. IMHO this is not a classic "short"...this is an intermittent opening and closing of the seat heating circuit. My first suspect area would be the seat wiring. Somehow the circuit is being closed and is bypassing the ON/OFF switches to energize the seat elements. That is the only way you could get voltage/current to both the rider and passenger portions with the switches Off. I suspect if you dismantled the seat a visual inspection would reveal the problem.

Even if the dealer didn't want to immediately order a CVO heated seat their first plan of attack should be trying another heated seat and see what happens. Process of elimination is Step 1.

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:15:53 PM by Jerry/MD »

ronsatt

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 07:34:37 PM »

How long does it take for your seat to heat up on high?

RoadRunnr

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 05:15:24 PM »

How long does it take for your seat to heat up on high?
depending on how cold it is outside, usually not more than 5 minutes.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 07:32:39 AM »

My seat is getting replaced today. My part works great but the wife's does not work. I found no problem with that but she had other ideas....
Bill

Glenncarp

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 10:49:50 PM »

The heated seat for the passenger on my Road Glide works great but it appears that after a few miles the seat turns off and turns back on after a few miles. I've taken it to Harley service several times and had a Harley service representative look at the bike. I was told that the seat is designed to turn off after it heats up and will not come back on until the switch is turned off then turn back on. This does not sound right to me. My wife says it turns on after a few miles without turning the switch off again. She says when we hit a bump it will turn off and on. Harley say there is no short with the wiring.  I wanted to ask the group if anyone else has this problem. Thanks!

I just got mine back from HD, 2011 SERGU. The seat was replaced under warrantee. The front seat stopped working all together while the wife's seat worked all the time. the dealer did not flinch for 1 second in replacing the $800 seat. I agree though, I live in FL and although the seat is nice in the winter at night when it is 55 degrees, I can not leave it on low for very long and on high, I can cook weenies on it!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 25 queries.