Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Cam advice  (Read 5086 times)

jinxltd

Re: Cam advice
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »

Yup not going that route! Thanks again for the help I know Im an FNG at all this, I do appreciate taking the time to explain & correct my mistakes without bashing me! thanks again I know what I have to do for now, I just gets too easy to start looking @ the question of how BIG can I go? & what is the limit.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 07:11:24 AM »

so  I really appreciate all the good info & sorry if my next question is a no brainer, but here we go.
ok in 2000 the stock road glide cam with an 88c 1440 & the screamin (my bike ) eagle came with stage II big bore bringing it to a 95 1550. ok now here is where it gets blurry to me, I see on
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Racing/screamin-eagle-parts.html   page 53

they have a conversion from 96 NOT  95 to 103!
so you guest it I want to know can I go to a 103 & not have to bore the case or some weird mod?

The largest you can go with that 4" stroke, w/o case boring is 98".
Wiesco manufactures pistons for us, that allow that to occur.
Scott

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 09:10:10 AM »

I would consider the hippo build for your bike but go gear drive to get rid of the tensioners.

The Build:

95"
570 S&S
Adjustables
S&S lifters

I did that build on the advice of a HD mechanic in 03 on my 03 Fatboy.  Told him, I was tired of down shifting every little hill with my wife on the back.  I live in the Smoky Mountains.  

Compression set at 10: 1, heads cleaned up, V&H Big shot longs with the hidden cross over or power chamber.
39K on the build now, trouble free.  A blast one up on the Fatboy.  97hp and 100 torque.

I would highly recommend the 570 cam in a 95" motor.  It has proven great for me, both two up, and now just me on the bike.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:13:10 AM by FLSTFI Dave »
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

jinxltd

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 09:14:50 AM »

SeenSeen
One thing you really need to do is define where you want the power to be. Many chase numbers and then find out that it doesn't ride as nice as a lower power build does. Until you really define the area you want it's hard to guess at a camshaft. IF you are going to limit your choices to something that will bolt into your bike versus having the heads come off and get redone makes a big difference. Take your time as only you can answer the most important question. I know that most of us that cruise run from idle to 3500 most of the time with spirited riding once in awhile. Most bolt-in camshafts that work well below 4000 and not as good above 4000 OR not so good below 4000 and work well above 4000. Which group do you want to fall into?

I think I Fall Into The Low Rpm Range Something That Bolts In, I've Seen Som SE 203'S And204'S On EbayBut Not Sure If That's What I'mAfter. Thank You For The Info

jinxltd

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 09:17:32 AM »

I did that build on the advice of a HD mechanic in 03 on my 03 Fatboy.  Told him, I was tired of down shifting every little hill with my wife on the back.  I live in the Smoky Mountains.  

Compression set at 10: 1, heads cleaned up, V&H Big shot longs with the hidden cross over or power chamber.
39K on the build now, trouble free.  A blast one up on the Fatboy.  97hp and 100 torque.

I would highly recommend the 570 cam in a 95" motor.  It has proven great for me, both two up, and now just me on the bike.

Cool I Like The First Hand Recommendations, So ToBe Clear The570 Needs NoHead Work?

jinxltd

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 10:37:18 AM »

Dose Anyone Know TheCheapest Place ToBuy The Bearing Remover And Installer? I Think That Is All I Need For Special Tools.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 11:17:19 AM »

On your early motor I do not believe the 570 will fit without head work. I THINK the max lift on the pre 2007 head without work was limited to about .550 lift. Scott would probably know for sure
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

hbens

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Candy Cobalt/Starlight Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 SESG Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 01:20:25 PM »

Dose Anyone Know TheCheapest Place ToBuy The Bearing Remover And Installer? I Think That Is All I Need For Special Tools.

http://georges-garage.com/
Try this place to buy tools. You can buy the tools, use them, and resell them to someone else on here who wants to do some work. It may cost you less than renting the tools.
I borrowed a bearing puller and used a socket and 2x4 to put my bearings back in. I also used a bucket of common sense and 5 gallons of careful. :)
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity!

Dragula 2 into 1, S&S 640 EZ start cams pistons (10.8 compression) flywheel and Timken bearing, Vee Twin Racing Stage IV ported heads, K&N air cleaner, Power Vision with WBO2 auto tuner, king tour pak, solo & two up mounts, pass. floor boards, Headwinds spot/turn signal lights, zumo 660 GPS, ssaddlebag guard & pouches, Progress Suspension cartridg

jinxltd

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »

Thank You All For The info! I'll Update When I Get It Complete

silverone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 05:43:37 AM »

Thank You All For The info! I'll Update When I Get It Complete
good luck with your decision I have some Harley Davidson 2004 cams I can sell cheap they only have 10,000 miles on them for a bolt in cam these will help with your 2 up riding let me know if you're interested

jinxltd

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 02:57:59 PM »

:pepper: UPDATE! :cucumber:

Brought it in to a local shop because it was 100$ difference in me doing the job & a shop doing it.  :2vrolijk_21:insurance

So the runout of my crank was aropund 4 1/2 witch is out of spec to go to gear drive, Oh well moving on the in stalled the S&S .510 cams witch are basically the same as the cams that cam with the bike. (SE203's) the tensioner for the cams looked pretty bad when inspecting them with the cam plate on, but when the cam plate was removed & what was left of the tensioner was exposed  :oops: it was a disaster, pieces missing, was running right on the tensioner itself. also noticed some odd wear patterns on the cams indicating that possibly I had a bum lifter (tappit) witch by the way look suspicously similar to the GM LS motor lifters.  after it was all said and done Im pretty happy to report that so far it runs champ! i believe it fixed some of my detonation issues deffinatly runs quiet now!
list of new junk!

new HD tappits
new HD lifters
New HD adjustable push rods & covers
new HD tensioners
new oil pump
new cams
all affiliated bearings & gaskets!
DONE!  :pineapple:

now Lets hurry up spring & lets ride!

thanks to all who offered thier oppinions, advise, & experience!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.