Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Expansion of ethanol use  (Read 7042 times)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
Re: Expansion of ethanol use
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 12:26:42 AM »

I've just accepted that it's all part of Satan's plan for us.
 ???
 I calls it Plan B.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Springer Dan

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2013, 12:58:37 PM »

Update

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2013/26/legislation-needed-to-repeal-e15-mandate-after-court-ruling-ends-lawsuits   
Wow!! It seems like a steady stream of losing battles we just keep fighting.  It seems like our government is bound and determined to undermine the will of the vast majority of its citizens. 
I have personally taken time to send my emails on most of the important issues that continually arrive to express my opinion, but all I get back are stupid canned responses that are an insult to my intelligence.
-Not sure what can be done.  I'm not sure how long we can bear up with watching our rights being taken away if this keeps up much longer. :-\
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 01:42:37 PM »

There is no E15 "mandate", but truth in headlines was lost a long long time ago.  Once again, the government has NOT mandated E15.  The only thing they have done is to approve a request by some fat cats who want to sell that lovely stuff to us and line their pockets.  The answer to this doesn't lie with the courts, it would be for Congress to pass a law that would actually "mandate" what can and cannot be sold.  Don't hold your breath however, the corn lobby and the ethanol producers lobby have a lot of clout ($).

As far as I'm concerned, if they want to sell properly labeled E15 alongside E10 then it's not a problem.  If they want to allow stations to eliminate E10 and only sell E15, however, that is not acceptable.  There is still way too much equipment in use that is not compatible with even E10, much less E15.  It's not fair to make all that equipment obsolete or require expensive modifications to enable it to use the fuel.  Of course the folks selling all that equipment might not agree, since they will get to sell a ton of new outboard motors, lawn equipment, motorcycles, cars, trucks, generators, etc. to replace the stuff that still works fine now but won't if the fuel they depend on disappears.  Kind of like the people with old cars that depended on lead in the fuel to lubricate valves and seats and who were forced to replace those parts or find lead additives at additional cost. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 09:12:34 PM »

One article I read about selling E15 alongside E110 is the idea that many gas stations sell their gas from what they call blended pumps. (those that you use one hose and push a button to select octane you want).
The article claimed that the problem comes at those pumps in that you need to pump at least 5 gallons to flush out the previous pumper's selection before you get the gas you chose.
I guess E15 would have to be sold in stand alone pumps to not effect bikes or small equipment customers? If the article was correct?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 09:38:53 PM »

One article I read about selling E15 alongside E110 is the idea that many gas stations sell their gas from what they call blended pumps. (those that you use one hose and push a button to select octane you want).
The article claimed that the problem comes at those pumps in that you need to pump at least 5 gallons to flush out the previous pumper's selection before you get the gas you chose.
I guess E15 would have to be sold in stand alone pumps to not effect bikes or small equipment customers? If the article was correct?

I don't know for certain, but I doubt the quantity would be 5 gallons.  Perhaps the amount left in the hose, but not 5 gallons?  Otherwise I seriously doubt I'd ever get any of the premium I pay an extra $0.40 per gallon for when I put 4.6 gallons in my SEEG at the local Shell station, and the bike would ping like *#$^  on 87 octane.   :nixweiss:  

I guess we need a gas pump expert to tell us how they really work these days.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 09:40:09 PM »

Stations that use the same hose to disperse all blends (Reg/Mid/Prem) are ones that I try to avoid no matter what.... even if it's not blended (E10/E15/whatever) at least you are getting the same grade (Reg/Mid/Prem) each time you use it.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 10:50:58 PM »

Couldn't find the cite but I remember a piece from the American Petroleum Institute that addressed this question.  The single hose pumps don't have any sort of recovery system for what's gone beyond the pump head.  So if it's in the hose it'll go in the next vehicle.  The piece said the average pump's hose contained about 1/3rd of a gallon.

So if you're filling up a peanut tank you're potentially diluting the fuel; especially if the tank isn't empty.  Less of an issue with a bagger's tank that is close to empty.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 10:52:05 PM »

Ok, still couldn't find the original citation.  But here's a WSJ article that used the same source:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122944043385810527.html

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2013, 09:17:15 AM »

Not sure about South Dakota but has been 10% in our regular, plus or "Ethel" for years here in Tennessee.  Hard to find 100% gas anymore but there are a few places that carry it (around here anyway).  Really hard to find it on the road traveling.  Don't care for the ethanol gas as the mileage isn't as good as 100% dino but don't have much choice.

X2 on the g'vment.  Most times what they do to "help".....doesn't.... :2vrolijk_21:
Station on the right at the light just before you get to SMHD, on 321 headed east has 100% gas 93 octane at a stand alone pump.  I get gas there all the time. 8)

Also a couple places on River road in Ten mile have 100% gas, so does the station at the corner of 58 and 68.

My king has only had two tanks of crap with ethanol in it.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2013, 09:31:20 AM »

Fuel in the hose?

Does anyone know where the octane selection is made?
Is it in the island dispenser or back at the tanks?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2013, 10:20:46 AM »

Fuel in the hose?

Does anyone know where the octane selection is made?
Is it in the island dispenser or back at the tanks?

At the fuel pump on the island.  Each bulk fuel tank (regular, premium and so on) has a supply to each fuel pump.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2013, 07:27:08 PM »

For all you that ride with a buddy, be courteous and let them fill up first.   :bananarock:
Jesus is Lord

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange (sold 2020)
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 03:03:15 PM »

I just have to chime in on this one!

Having worked many years in the auto industry, when ethanol first came out and was burned in carberated vehicles it caused a lot of problems. With the advancement of fuel injection those problems went away.

Here in Illinois it is very difficult to find ethanol free gasoline. The owners manual states that 10% ethanol mixture is OK for your Harley at 91 octane or above. But do not use gasoline with more than 10% ethanol.

That being said, I was in Missouri this summer on my 13 SE Ultra Classic and got caught needing gasoline and all I could find was 87 octane "pure gasoline" so the station said. I filled up with that gasoline (5.7 gallons) and holy crap my bike ran great! No pinging, no excess heat. But on the other hand I have not experienced pinging and excess heat when running 91 octane ethanol blends either.

xsdbs

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide
    • Vincent's Web Page
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2013, 04:43:09 PM »

For all you that ride with a buddy, be courteous and let them fill up first.   :bananarock:
I knew I wasn't the only one that did that!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.