Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Expansion of ethanol use  (Read 7084 times)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
Expansion of ethanol use
« on: June 04, 2013, 10:28:45 AM »

Yesterday I had to get gas in Hill City, SD.  I stopped at the Conoco station on the edge of town where I've gone many many times.  I happened to notice that the 91 octane pumps ALL had stickers announcing they contained 10% ethanol!
This is something new. 
Later today I plan to go to the local Conoco here in Custer and find out if this crap is in the local 91 octane gas.
I'll post back based on my findings. 
If this is the case, I will have to start carrying around a bottle of fuel treatment. 
I hate what our government is doing to us.  Whatever happened to free markets?
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

ultrarider123

Re: Expansion of ethanol use
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:34:24 AM »

Not sure about South Dakota but has been 10% in our regular, plus or "Ethel" for years here in Tennessee.  Hard to find 100% gas anymore but there are a few places that carry it (around here anyway).  Really hard to find it on the road traveling.  Don't care for the ethanol gas as the mileage isn't as good as 100% dino but don't have much choice.

X2 on the g'vment.  Most times what they do to "help".....doesn't.... :2vrolijk_21:

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 11:26:46 AM »

There's an iPhone app to find the nearest ethanol free gas in your area. Search for Pure Gas. They also have a website. http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=SD As with anything on the web you cannot be assured of the accuracy of the information but it's a starting point.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:33:47 AM by blacktop »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »

10% Ethanol is very common these days.  It reduces the efficiency of the fuel, but not the octane.  You should not suffer any consequences from using 10% fuel at the appropriate Octane rating.  I would prefer they not use it in gasoline, but not for the reasons most people think of.  It's a waste of resources on many different levels.  Particularly the use of corn.

Octane boosters are a HUGE waste of money, and despite the advertising, do little to boost the octane of the fuel.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 01:58:21 PM »

Yesterday I had to get gas in Hill City, SD.  I stopped at the Conoco station on the edge of town where I've gone many many times.  I happened to notice that the 91 octane pumps ALL had stickers announcing they contained 10% ethanol!
This is something new. 
Later today I plan to go to the local Conoco here in Custer and find out if this crap is in the local 91 octane gas.
If this is the case, I will have to start carrying around a bottle of fuel treatment. 

Here in Wisconsin gas with ethanol is rated as 93 octane, If it's PURE gas it's rated at 91 octane.
We have Quik Trip here and they call it ("recreational") when there is no ethanol.
We have to get way out in the country to get good gas!
The "TAZMUN"

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 02:05:32 PM »

10% Ethanol is very common these days.  It reduces the efficiency of the fuel, but not the octane.  You should not suffer any consequences from using 10% fuel at the appropriate Octane rating. 

X2 on that Terry.  I for one can really tell the mileage difference between 100% and 90/10% fuel.  Range is shorter as I can get 265-270 computer range (actual 200) on 100% and from 225-245 on 90/10 fuel (actual around 175).  Ginger has almost 13,000 on her clock and really prefers 100% fuel..... :2vrolijk_21:

Octane boosters are a HUGE waste of money, and despite the advertising, do little to boost the octane of the fuel.
Preach on, brother... ;)

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 02:09:50 PM »

I hate it for all you riders that have to burn "corn" in you expensive CVO's.  Remember all the times we made fun of the "rice" burners?  Lucky for me there is an "ethanol free"  service station close to my home that serves up some nice 93 octane "real" gas.  I would guess that out of 20K miles on my bike that only 1K has been "corn fed".  I heard that there is a new study out showing that it actually cost more to include the ethanol and is less "green" on the environment that just pure petrol. Go figure.  :nixweiss:
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 04:22:44 PM »

There is more than one reason why gasoline has ethanol in it these days.  Yes, one of those reasons was a mandate from Congress that provided financial incentives to use it.  But there are others.

Refineries used to use a product called MTBE (methyl tertiary-butyl ether) as an octane booster after tetraethyl lead was outlawed.  MTBE also is an oxygenator, so it was used in the Reformulated gasoline required in many parts of the country to deal with air pollution noncompliance.  Unfortunately, MTBE is a very hazardous and carcinogenic compound that was found to be leaching into groundwater thanks to leaking storage tanks or pipeline spills.  It has been outlawed for use in gasoline in many states, so an alternative had to be found.  One such alternative was alcohol.  It has a high natural octane rating and is also an oxygenator.  Many refineries were already using alcohol before Congress came up with their ill-conceived plan to subsidize taking corn from the mouths of hungry people and turning it into ethanol.

As for all the BS you will find all over the internet blasting ethanol in gasoline and blaming it for everything up to and including the failure of the Cubs to win a World Series, please don't be fooled by unscientific rants from people who don't have a clue about the subject.  Yes, ethanol will slightly affect fuel mileage when blended at 10% or less, as is current custom for gasoline.  But the difference is pretty small, not the big numbers thrown about by the folks who just like to rant.  Now if you want to talk about E85, then yes the mileage difference is large and very significant.

Thanks to ozone levels that dump this part of Indiana into a nonattainment status with the EPA, I've been running reformulated gasoline for many years and since about 2005 if I remember correctly it has been laced with ethanol at up to 10%.  In all the years since, I've had zero fuel system issues with my automobiles, my motorcycles, my yard equipment, etc.  And some of those things don't get used on a daily basis and tend to sit with fuel in the tank.  Somehow I haven't had a single one of those catastrophe's the anti-ethanol crowd likes to claim in their rants. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 07:27:05 PM »

There is more than one reason why gasoline has ethanol in it these days.  Yes, one of those reasons was a mandate from Congress that provided financial incentives to use it.  But there are others.

Refineries used to use a product called MTBE (methyl tertiary-butyl ether) as an octane booster after tetraethyl lead was outlawed.  MTBE also is an oxygenator, so it was used in the Reformulated gasoline required in many parts of the country to deal with air pollution noncompliance.  Unfortunately, MTBE is a very hazardous and carcinogenic compound that was found to be leaching into groundwater thanks to leaking storage tanks or pipeline spills.  It has been outlawed for use in gasoline in many states, so an alternative had to be found.  One such alternative was alcohol.  It has a high natural octane rating and is also an oxygenator.  Many refineries were already using alcohol before Congress came up with their ill-conceived plan to subsidize taking corn from the mouths of hungry people and turning it into ethanol.

As for all the BS you will find all over the internet blasting ethanol in gasoline and blaming it for everything up to and including the failure of the Cubs to win a World Series, please don't be fooled by unscientific rants from people who don't have a clue about the subject.  Yes, ethanol will slightly affect fuel mileage when blended at 10% or less, as is current custom for gasoline.  But the difference is pretty small, not the big numbers thrown about by the folks who just like to rant.  Now if you want to talk about E85, then yes the mileage difference is large and very significant.

Thanks to ozone levels that dump this part of Indiana into a nonattainment status with the EPA, I've been running reformulated gasoline for many years and since about 2005 if I remember correctly it has been laced with ethanol at up to 10%.  In all the years since, I've had zero fuel system issues with my automobiles, my motorcycles, my yard equipment, etc.  And some of those things don't get used on a daily basis and tend to sit with fuel in the tank.  Somehow I haven't had a single one of those catastrophe's the anti-ethanol crowd likes to claim in their rants. :nixweiss:

Jerry

Does that mean the Cubs are going to win the Series this year?   :huepfenjump3:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 07:42:19 PM »

Does that mean the Cubs are going to win the Series this year?   :huepfenjump3:

Uhhh, I think it will be NEXT year Scott.

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 07:47:27 PM »

Uhhh, I think it will be NEXT year Scott.

Jerry ;)

I didn't mean the World Series, I just meant any series...   :huepfenlol2:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 09:49:17 PM »

I didn't mean the World Series, I just meant any series...   :huepfenlol2:

June 21-23.  They play the semi-pro team from Houston.  But they'll be late to Wrigley.  The team bus will have to pull over to let the engine cool.  Bad detonation and low fuel mileage from using 10% mixed ethanol fuel in the team bus.  And, oh yeah, the spirit of Milton Bradley will be cranky under the engine's dog house.

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Hard Candy Gold Dust/Liquid Sun
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 10:55:02 PM »

Not sure if they have Sinclair in SD, but all of the stations in Casper, WY don't put any ethanol in their premium.
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! - Davy Crockett

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 11:12:56 PM »

The only reason ethanol is being used period- is for the farm vote.  It is pure BS.  In a free market system, the ethanol industry and farmers wouldn't be subsidized.
And as I had previously posted, I did check with the local Conoco in Custer where I live, and to my dismay the 91 octane has the 10% ethanol sticker on the premium pumps.
I recently read that by law 40% of the corn crops have to be used for ethanol. 
Obviously food for fuel is the name of the game for bureaucrats.  Welcome to hyper inflation and poor milage.  :coolblue:
Since I'm a preferred customer for Amsoil, I'll be ordering some more crap that I didn't previously need.  Thanks Washington!
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 06:53:25 AM »

This is something new. 

Maine has had 10% for quite some time.
What is worse is that The EPA is pushing for 15% Ethanol. HD, one of many MFGs, is against this very bad idea for Marine Engines, Small Engines, Motorcycles etc etc etc...

Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' EagleĀ® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 26 queries.