Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: CVO black engine  (Read 8139 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: CVO black engine
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 08:33:37 PM »

I'm surprised the dealer was able to order a "non-production" item as a "replacement"... I would think it would be a one-for one situation, but I guess thats not really the case....

Well on my 09 SERG, when the starter paint was pealing off harley said they would replace it, and I got the dealer to let my pay the difference to go to chrome.

I prefer the granite to the black  :nixweiss:
For me it depends on the color of the bike.  My Skunk SERG would not look right with any color other than black.  I love the black engine in it.

My anniversary SERK looks good with black, but a granite with chrome would look good too. 

So, I like black engines two bikes with black engines and one with regular color and chrome.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:38:22 PM by FLSTFI Dave »
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 08:42:03 PM »

Well on my 09 SERG, when the starter paint was pealing off harley said they would replace it, and I got the dealer to let my pay the difference to go to chrome.

That's really not the same thing Dave.  With an engine Harley has to stamp the cases with the old VIN number, ship it to the dealer, and the dealer has to ship the old one back.  So if the folks at Harley were paying attention to detail (I know, not very likely), they would have sent the correct color to match the bike the VIN corresponded to, which would have been the granite color.  I'm guessing there is more to this entire thing than what this seller is telling him.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SERK "Burgandy Blaze"
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 10:50:34 PM »

That's really not the same thing Dave.  With an engine Harley has to stamp the cases with the old VIN number, ship it to the dealer, and the dealer has to ship the old one back.  So if the folks at Harley were paying attention to detail (I know, not very likely), they would have sent the correct color to match the bike the VIN corresponded to, which would have been the granite color.  I'm guessing there is more to this entire thing than what this seller is telling him.

Jerry

Jerry,

You are correct! I finally got the "real story" directly from the tech at Four Rivers HD where the bike was purchased and the work was done. The original owner had two 2013 CVO's, a Road Glide and a Road King. He decided to put a Jims Engine in the Road King and sold the original engine. Then he decided he liked the RG better so he had the engines switched, putting the (black) RG engine in the RK and the Jims in the RG (are you with me so far?) The original RK engine is gone and the RK ends up with a black engine. The dealership also added a set of cams and a power commander mapped to the D&D exhaust to the RK when they made the swap. So, the numbers on the engine don't match the frame and this could be a problem when it comes to licensing. I also don't want to end up with a salvage title of some kind which is why I assume HD has the numbering policy you referred to. I actually like the look of the black but I need to make sure I'm not opening a can of worm on this!

As I said before all of your comments are very welcome!

Evo

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 11:02:03 PM »

Jerry

Thats what I had in mind....

The last post says it all....swap motor between two bikes.

Not a big deal as long as the seller and the original owner will provide proof of the swap.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

BluesRunner

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 12:25:25 AM »

For me, I think it lowers the resale value. If you can get it for a good price it would be ok. But it may be a liability if you ever need to turn it.
2011 SERGU
2013 Road King Screamin' Eagle - SOLD

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 09:43:03 PM »

Hold on to that paperwork! If you travel, especially to a big rally, have it where you can access it. I have seen sweeps at Daytona were detectives go through parking lots comparing tranny, motor & frame #'s and when they hit a mis-match flag the bike. In your case, no problem, if you can go to the room and get the proof. If you are in Laconia and the proof is in Missouri could be a huge hassle.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

wizgee

• Vendor

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE - Silver Rush / Midnight Black - GONE
    • CVO2: 13 FLHRSE5 - Crushed Sapphire / Cold Fusion
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 01:31:17 AM »

Evo,
As for the warranty... If it was an H-D dealer that did the work, and they used H-D parts, the bike should still be covered by warranty. The engine mods, at most, should only void the warranty on those (non-street) parts, and possibly the drivetrain. That being said, the different engine color will take the value down more that the mods. If you keep the bike long enough, it won't amount to that big of a drop.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 26 queries.