Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Have the crankshafts been upgraded between 07 and 14?  (Read 6374 times)

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Have the crankshafts been upgraded between 07 and 14?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 01:52:48 PM »

Flywheel Assembly Kit part numbers:

2007, 2008, 2009    P/N 23729-07

2010   P/N 23729-07A  (Not sure what changed)

2011, 2012, 2013   P/N 23723-07B  (Changed to bushingless rods)

2014   P/N 24100021  (No idea what if anything changed for 2014)

Jerry

I don't think anything changed except their new PN system in 2014

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 02:07:05 PM »

How does the moco get by with this second class quality of their products? I do not feel any of us would allow an American car company to make such an inferior motor part for our cars and pick ups.

I have a friend that has had four Victory motorcycles since 2000 with no issues, he keeps telling me that some day I will see the light, now I have to wonder.

H-D gets away with it because consumers keep giving them a "get out of jail free" card and keep buying their products.  If people would stop buying, Harley would either change their ways or go out of business.

All manufacturers cut costs; it's a necessary evil in a competitive marketplace.  But a smart company cuts costs in the areas that don't affect the main purpose of the product, and when done correctly the cuts don't impact the customer.  Harley, since they still have that attitude that they don't have any real competition, seems to think screwing with the engine in ways that directly impact quality, reliability, and customer satisfaction is OK because they've been getting away with it for decades.  And don't forget, many customers just give them the free pass and spend thousands to upgrade the known deficient parts out of pocket.  Then they go and buy another Harley a year or two later.  Duh!

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 03:07:53 PM »

The MoCo is being run by people who cut their teeth in the auto industry, home to very loose tolerances, cut costs at all cost, push 'em out the door let the dealers worry 'bout them buisness model.

Hillside right about '04's, mine made it less than 15K.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

bigsixman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2003 CVO Deuce FXSTDSE
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 03:43:40 PM »

Jerry, I agree with you 100% with your post. I have never paid a lot of attention to these production problems because I have not experienced any engine problems with my bikes. Since joining the forums and asking around at runs, I am amazed that this is allowed to continue. I have heard about some owners doing builds on their motors and I always assumed that it was because the owners wanted more power, now I have found that it was for repairs and the upgrades were incorporated because the engine was apart.

The engine is not where the moco should be cutting corners on costs and forcing customers to be by the road side with huge engine repair bills. This needs to stop!!!
2003 fxstdse CVO Deuce, 3,700 miles
2007 fxstd Deuce, 18,500 miles
2017 flhx Street Glide, 6,700 miles
Four 60s & 70s Japanese bikes

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 10:43:47 PM »

Jerry, I agree with you 100% with your post. I have never paid a lot of attention to these production problems because I have not experienced any engine problems with my bikes. Since joining the forums and asking around at runs, I am amazed that this is allowed to continue. I have heard about some owners doing builds on their motors and I always assumed that it was because the owners wanted more power, now I have found that it was for repairs and the upgrades were incorporated because the engine was apart.

The engine is not where the moco should be cutting corners on costs and forcing customers to be by the road side with huge engine repair bills. This needs to stop!!!

It will stop only when people stop buying new Harley bikes. If people are truly so dissatisfied with Harley quality, then they need to vote with their pocketbooks and go buy a Victory or an Indian or a BMW or even a Honda as their next motorcycle. That will get the MoCo's attention. But as long as people keep paying Harley prices for an inferior quality product, it's unreasonable to expect the MoCo to really change anything... because they simply don't have to.

The MoCo makes a lot more in profits from the licensing of the H-D logo, and from clothing and P&A, than they make on motorcycle manufacturing operations... and they have for quite awhile now. They are selling the whole Harley lifestyle... not the best crankshafts in the business. To them, crank replacements are nothing more than a cost of doing business.

Let's face it... people don't buy Harley for the quality of the crankshafts... They buy it because it's a HARLEY, and all that that means in perception. It's all marketing. I know... I'm in software sales. It's all about branding. 95% percent of people don't even know one brand of motorcycle from another... unless it's a HARLEY. People know what Harley-Davidson is... even if they can't even name any other motorcycle manufacturer.

I'd bet the majority of new Harley buyers couldn't tell you where the crankshaft even IS... much less why it's so important. They look at the beautiful paint, the infotainment system, the comfort of the seat, and the chrome... and frankly, how their significant other likes it. Because that matters to them... they can see it. How many new bike buyers these days ever actually work on their bikes... or even know or care HOW they work? I'll bet it's 5%, maybe 10% max. Most new CVO buyers probably don't even know about this forum - the best one on the 'net.

The MoCo is a brand-driven marketing company... period. If you want the best engine quality, look elsewhere. Most buyers these days will take their bike back to the dealer and let them deal with any problems... Just as if it were a Mercedes, a BMW, or a Cadillac. That's the way the world seems to work these days, for better or worse.

Those of us of on these forums are really not the MoCo's key demographic... at least not anymore. They, like all companies, don't cater to informed customers. They cater to technically ignorant customers who buy based on paint color and "coolness" factor. And the people who buy these bikes are increasingly white-collar professionals - because frankly most people can't, or won't, go out and drop upwards of $30K on what is essentially a very expensive toy.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 11:18:02 PM »

Well said Jerry.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 01:17:25 AM »

From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 10:57:55 AM »

Yes what Ken said also. Always irritates me to pull in to the service dept loaded up with big able body guys just in line for an oil change and I need a rear tire instead of having an apt I was told just be here when we open. Guess they all were all told the same thing.  ???

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 12:44:50 PM »

The MoCo makes a lot more in profits from the licensing of the H-D logo, and from clothing and P&A, than they make on motorcycle manufacturing operations... and they have for quite awhile now. ....

Ken
This is so true... I know when I first got back into riding and purchased my first Harley I would stop at every dealership (and had family members do same as they travelled) and pick up a t-shirt, shot glass, or something with the MoCo/H-D logo and dealer name. Had so many shirts went years before I could wear them all. Finally realized why should I be advertising for company/dealership that doesn't give a damn about their customers. I no longer buy this paraphernalia and also try to purchase/replace parts needed for my bike w/aftermarket parts. Hell... at one time I was thinking about getting a "Harley-Davidson" tattoo :shocked2: (damn glad I woke up before I did something that stupid). I do still love my bike and all that goes with owning a American assembled V-Twin, however I think I would (if I were to purchase another bike) get a used H-D or a H-D clone.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 01:59:42 PM »

This is so true... I know when I first got back into riding and purchased my first Harley I would stop at every dealership (and had family members do same as they travelled) and pick up a t-shirt, shot glass, or something with the MoCo/H-D logo and dealer name. Had so many shirts went years before I could wear them all. Finally realized why should I be advertising for company/dealership that doesn't give a damn about their customers. I no longer buy this paraphernalia and also try to purchase/replace parts needed for my bike w/aftermarket parts. Hell... at one time I was thinking about getting a "Harley-Davidson" tattoo :shocked2: (damn glad I woke up before I did something that stupid). I do still love my bike and all that goes with owning a American assembled V-Twin, however I think I would (if I were to purchase another bike) get a used H-D or a H-D clone.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

We've probably all gone through the "buy everything with a Harley logo on it" phase. I know I have. I still buy Harley-logo stuff - just not nearly as much as I used to buy. I don't visit dealers like I used to, either... I guess it's just a natural process of the newness of the Harley experience wearing off and settling into a more steady love/hate relationship with the MoCo!

I love Harleys... I love the brand and the lifestyle. Nobody else's paint, looks, nor artfulness come anywhere close to a Harley. I don't really expect Harley to build the best-engineered everything, either. It would be nice if they didn't cut so many corners on the engine and drivetrain - but again they have morphed into a lifestyle marketing company, and the bikes are only a part of their total product mix. They are doing quite well financially, their stock is up over the past couple of years, and I wish I had bought some two years ago!

I honestly can't ever see myself ever buying any brand of motorcycle other than Harley... except I do really like the new Indian Vintage. I could envision buying one of those at some point if the brand stays around this time. I just wish they came in ORANGE! Maybe next year. But any other brand of motorcycle just doesn't suit me... I just don't like the looks of them.

Other then the Indian Vintage, I still don't see anything out there that I would rather ride than Honey Badger. I really don't like the looks of most metric bikes, and everyone else's cruiser or bagger bikes just smack of being Harley Wannabees to me. Maybe I'm being a Harley snob, but our bikes are in my opinion simply far more beautiful and artfully designed than any other brand.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

bigsixman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2003 CVO Deuce FXSTDSE
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 03:01:28 PM »

Some excellent posts about the problems with our Harleys. I would love to buy a new Street Glide, but I think that I will wait for the right deal and find one from a disgusted owner who is willing to sell their bike with a wounded motor, and then build the motor or swap out to one with upgraded aftermarket components.

I think Ken is right on with his earlier posts. A good 45 year friend of mine who has owned numerous Harleys and other brands kiddingly commented to me awhile back, " are you still driving that WW II surplus crap with candy paint and chrome on it?"

It kind of stings a little the more I think about it.
2003 fxstdse CVO Deuce, 3,700 miles
2007 fxstd Deuce, 18,500 miles
2017 flhx Street Glide, 6,700 miles
Four 60s & 70s Japanese bikes

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 06:53:33 PM »

These issues boil down to one word............GREED.
Scott

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 07:28:54 PM »

My buddy rode his 2000 FLHT 68,000 miles and 12 years before the crank gernaded. On one hand the crank shouldn't ever fail with care. On the other he was able to pay for a factory remanufactured motor and receive from all sign's a brand new motor at a reasonable price. I don't think you find the same options with all manufacturer's. Especially on a 14 model year old bike. He loves his bike, its simple and generally dependable.

I got pretty pissed at Harley a while back. Had sold my bike and decided that BMW would be my best option. Everything I read and looked at convinced me to buy a BMW touring bike. I went down to the BMW dealer wanting to love the bike. Thankfully I took a test ride first. I HATED IT! It did not please any of my senses. Felt like a 2 wheel car. Nice but not for me. When I test rode the new Limited I fell in love. Everything feels right. I did not buy the bike for any reason other than my enjoyment factor. Given my age, I will be happy with 10 years of riding.

Is anyone really 100% sure that the 2014 crankshafts and/or bearings were not upgraded? At least from the more trouble prone years.

I guess I have been drinking the cool aid for too many years.

Twism_23

• Senior CVO Member
    • MB

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE CHARRED STEEL LIGHTENING SILVER
    • CVO2: 2009 FXSTSSE3 COBALT BLUE
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 07:40:48 PM »

Some excellent posts about the problems with our Harleys. I would love to buy a new Street Glide, but I think that I will wait for the right deal and find one from a disgusted owner who is willing to sell their bike with a wounded motor, and then build the motor or swap out to one with upgraded aftermarket
I guess I'm different than a lot of you because I've never had a new Harley, both used, so I guess I can understand your frustration. I'll never buy a new one, My expectation has been I'll have to work on my Harley and I know there are some things that may go wrong or need to be addressed and upgraded. I refuse to complain about it. I researched what I bought and knew there are risks associated. I have only myself to blame if something goes wrong because I made the choice to buy my Harley. I bought it because I wanted a Harley and knew what I was likely in for. To me having a Harley is like having a wife, you'll have some good times and some bad times, some great rides but it'll end up costing you a lot but it's worth it at the end of the day!
2019 FLHXSE FM 128, Wood 22X-E, SE 64mm TB, 5.5 inj., D&D Billet Cat, Aim SDR, Legend  Revo-A, 12” F47, SE Vent. Extreme, SR Comp Ramp, Rekluse Slave

2009 FXSTSSE3, V&H PP, Exile open Primary, 14" Carlini, Danny Grey Shorthop 2 Up XL, HPI 51mm w/4.9 Injectors, Power Vision, AV&V Springs and Valves, Kury TC24D Cams, 10.2 Comp

2017 RGS - FM 124, SE 64mm TB 6.3 inj, Feuling 521, S&S Lifters & Oil pump & Cam plate, AIM SDR, F47 12", D&D Billet Cat,Corbin Classic Solo, 21" Aggressor

redmtrckl

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2014, 09:45:39 AM »

[quote author
Well said Ken.
[/quote]

x10

My closet full of t-shirts is a testament
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:48:39 AM by redmtrckl »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 25 queries.