Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: How is the riding around Charleston, WV?  (Read 5275 times)

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
Re: How is the riding around Charleston, WV?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 09:37:57 PM »

Thanks for all of the replies.  I am looking at an opportunity that would relocate me to Charleston, and quality riding plays into the decision.

If the jobs are equal, and your not upside down in your residence, then the decision should be a no brainer.  You can find good roads in ANY direction from Charleston in short time.  :2vrolijk_21:

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 04:52:19 PM »

rte 60 east of charleston is really nice & rcently re-paved goin up yo hawks nest. hwy 16 from hico down to marion,va is great also
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 09:34:55 PM »

If you were able to take a picture of heaven I think the hillbilly would look real close to it. I love riding down there, beautiful sights. I personally paved some of the roads down there a few years back. Rt. 88 around Oglebay, rt. 89 off of rt.2 and some others I forget, but would come to me once there. I haven't done it yet, but I hear rt. 7 from New Martinsville to Corinth is a good one too ... gonna try that soon if this rain ever quits. There is also a good little country store on rt.88 with excellent food at the bottom of Oglebay ... nothing fancy but they had a great little buffet kind of deal set up last time I was there, full belly and a drink for about 10 bucks.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 07:54:10 AM »

If you were able to take a picture of heaven I think the hillbilly would look real close to it. I love riding down there, beautiful sights. I personally paved some of the roads down there a few years back. Rt. 88 around Oglebay, rt. 89 off of rt.2 and some others I forget, but would come to me once there. I haven't done it yet, but I hear rt. 7 from New Martinsville to Corinth is a good one too ... gonna try that soon if this rain ever quits. There is also a good little country store on rt.88 with excellent food at the bottom of Oglebay ... nothing fancy but they had a great little buffet kind of deal set up last time I was there, full belly and a drink for about 10 bucks.
So you are the one that paved 88, good job! The fellla that owned the little store called That's Italian was busted for mortgage fraud and is looking at some time in the pen so it is closed right now but there are some great biker friendly places within a couple of miles. I am only about three miles away so if you ever get down this way give me a shout and the wife and I would love to show you some of the hidden gems of the area. We have ridden every road in the area for years on both sides of the river and this time of the year is spectacular.
T-MAN 117 kit

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2012 FLSTSE Convertible
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 08:40:06 AM »

Have done that from Ch'ville to W.Va and back several times... good ride. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Also, take 33 over, and drop down to 250 for the ride back.. :pineapple: :pepper: :apple:
Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 02:20:42 PM »

Every year we go to southern West Virginia (Mingo County) to visit family, often ride up the Maryland, PA areas too.  Throw a dart at a map and you will usually hit a good road. 

However, any roads that are being used to haul coal are often not in great shape.  Describes large chunks of southern WV.

No, No!  It ain't the Coal Haulers tearing up the roads!  It's all 'em fat-assed kids on 'nem School Buses!  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 04:47:15 PM »

No, No!  It ain't the Coal Haulers tearing up the roads!  It's all 'em fat-assed kids on 'nem School Buses!  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: Later--HUBBARD

Then I recon that the kids must be skinnier in the parts of the state (and Eastern KY) where they don't haul coal, just saying.  Loved the coal business but hard on the roads.       

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 09:27:29 PM »

So you are the one that paved 88, good job! The fellla that owned the little store called That's Italian was busted for mortgage fraud and is looking at some time in the pen so it is closed right now but there are some great biker friendly places within a couple of miles. I am only about three miles away so if you ever get down this way give me a shout and the wife and I would love to show you some of the hidden gems of the area. We have ridden every road in the area for years on both sides of the river and this time of the year is spectacular.

Thanks, but I only had a helping hand in on it by trucking loads of asphalt from McMechan plant up to the job ... it did turn out nice. Not sure if we're talking about the same store or not ... the one I meant was on the corner of c&g rd. (I think) and rt. 88 just up from the Sheetz on rt. 40. Thanks, I'm game for tailing along with you and the wife anytime if you guys know your way around down there ... I just know some of the roads we paved, other than that I'm lost. Send me a pm with your # and I'll do the same.   
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 25 queries.