Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Help picking new windshield  (Read 7351 times)

barrhill

• barrhil
  • Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 2008 CVO RK gold and copper
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO RGC maple
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO RGC mako shark fade
Re: Help picking new windshield
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 10:13:27 PM »

I am on my 5th windshield  got a 11 inch madstadd its the second best improvement on my bike. at least 3 bars less on the volume indicator over all the other shields. I am also 5,11  over 20,000 miles on mine
I did see a 13 inch madstadd with the holes drilled one inch higher it look a bit better with close to the same height
if you but on lots of miles in all different weather do yourself a favor

would post a picture but I am in alberta and my bike is in Atlanta and its almost time to come home :(

madstadd also has well nut kit you can get that are better quality .
2019 road glide Mako 2012 road glide  in maple , GMR 117,600 gmr cams , fullsac pipes and slipons , S&S crank and oil pump , TTS ,Barnett scorpion , 58mm oval HPI ,DD7   2008 CVO road king in copper with 16 apes ,fullsac baffles, SE tuner

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 06:27:19 AM »

OBB heres a pic of my 14" light smoke...Its the perfect height for me...I can see over the top with no problem.
Had a 13" LRS Mako in light smoke on my '11 like yours. With the new fairing, I'm not sure I want the new shield to be that vertical.

Before anyone says to use the KW Flare, forget it. After seeing what they charge for the fairing vents for the '15 as compared to what they actually cost to make them, I'll never spend a dime on their products. Just can't bring myself to spend $80 on a $3 piece of painted metal. That's a bigger markup than the CVO lineup.

I may spend a day off trying out demo screens from MoCo and see what I can come up from there.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

sneezy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 08:41:49 AM »

I just installed a 15" Freedom Shield. Rode to New Orleans yesterday and it worked great. I see over it just right (at 5'10"/32" inseam) and the wife was in the bubble also. Ha! Her head usually falls backward when she falls asleep but yesterday her helmet was falling forward :) Tomorrow we will head to Thunder Beach Rally in PC Beach Fl in the rain. We will see how well it does with those drops that roll off the top.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 01:10:57 PM »

Hi all,

I just finished a long conversation with John Lauk at Freedom Shields.  I'm sure you know most windshield manufacturers have options of clear, very light tint or very dark tint.  I had a dark, 14" on my '09 but looked over it.  I look through the stock, 14" shield on the' 15 so dark would not be practical.  The light tint is barely tinted at all.  John has just procured medium tint and I've ordered the first one, 13".  It will take a week or so to make and a few more days to get it to me. I will post pictures then.  John says his 13" will perform at least as good as the stock which I like very much.

John may attend the West Coast GTG and bring a trailer so that he can show samples and offer test rides.    :coolblue:

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 04:19:51 PM »

Before anyone says to use the KW Flare, forget it. After seeing what they charge for the fairing vents for the '15 as compared to what they actually cost to make them, I'll never spend a dime on their products. Just can't bring myself to spend $80 on a $3 piece of painted metal. That's a bigger markup than the CVO lineup.

I may spend a day off trying out demo screens from MoCo and see what I can come up from there.
Here's a photo of my 15" Freedom Shield with the protective plastic still on both sides. While it was fine for my BSR wife, I opted to exchange for a 16" which I should be receiving from John Lauk soon ....hopefully he'll send it out before he leaves for the West Coast GTG ...LOL 8)!

In the same photo you can see the vent screens I installed recently (and painted black). I agree the KW price of $80 is "over the top" ....so I wound up purchasing at Eastern Performance Cycles for $72 and USPS shipping. Still way too much ......but haven't seen better options. I've been stung by bees/wasps enough times on rides that I'm not "inviting" them in through those vents ......LOL ::)
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 06:08:32 PM »

Here's a photo of my 15" Freedom Shield with the protective plastic still on both sides. While it was fine for my BSR wife, I opted to exchange for a 16" which I should be receiving from John Lauk soon ....hopefully he'll send it out before he leaves for the West Coast GTG ...LOL 8)!

In the same photo you can see the vent screens I installed recently (and painted black). I agree the KW price of $80 is "over the top" ....so I wound up purchasing at Eastern Performance Cycles for $72 and USPS shipping. Still way too much ......but haven't seen better options. I've been stung by bees/wasps enough times on rides that I'm not "inviting" them in through those vents ......LOL ::)
So how tall are you and how tall does your wife sit behind you?

Oh, those screens? I made a set myself for about $10. Bought some material on ebay I liked and spent some time making a template then cutting them out. A little black and I was all set.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 06:37:59 PM »

Re the screens .........good for you OBB .........I didn't have the necessary time and/or patience :P.

I'm 6' .......my wife is 5'11". Here is a perspective from a trip on our previous bike :).
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2015, 08:02:01 PM »

Re the screens .........good for you OBB .........I didn't have the necessary time and/or patience :P.

I'm 6' .......my wife is 5'11". Here is a perspective from a trip on our previous bike :).
Great pix. Perspective helps tremendously. Helmets look like they match the new HCM SG too.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 04:29:58 PM »

Great pix. Perspective helps tremendously. Helmets look like they match the new HCM SG too.
Thanks OBB. The helmets are Vega shorty style from 5-6 years ago and no longer in production. Just received and installed the 16" Freedom Shield. It's raining at the moment so a pic inside the garage will have to do ;D.
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 09:17:42 PM »

Thanks OBB. The helmets are Vega shorty style from 5-6 years ago and no longer in production. Just received and installed the 16" Freedom Shield. It's raining at the moment so a pic inside the garage will have to do ;D.
Light smoke? I can live with that. I'm not crazy about the dark shields as they look like billboards unless you get the KW Flare or HD Windsplitter.  The Freedom 14" has the same height as the stock shield. I just want that recurve at the top to help push the wind over the wife.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.