Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Help picking new windshield  (Read 7404 times)

dlhovland

Help picking new windshield
« on: July 19, 2012, 11:05:06 PM »

I am looking for feedback on what type of wind shield would fit my riding style. I ride two up most of the time. I don't really have much of buffing issue. just lots of wind noise  :(. cant hear the radio and i find my self wearing ear plugs on longer rides. My wife hasn't complaint of buffering issue's either. But she has mentioned she has more wind noise than our 08 electric glide. I had a CEE Baileys  on the the 08 and really liked it. I am 5'11" with 30 inch inseam. I was thinking of going with Cee Baileys, Cee Glide. Any thoughts or feed back would be great. I need to keep thee BSR happy also. Others wise I love this bike and way it handles :apple:  7-21-12 Just order a 15" Cee glide today light gray tint. Estimated time of arrival 2 weeks I will report back on my new windshield. I would like to try a Madastat windshield but i would have to see one in person first I hat to say but the are not the best looking shield! But it sounds like the work very well. any comments would be great. David
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:05:31 PM by dlhovland »
2011 road glide ultra CVO

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Help picking new windshield
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 11:10:38 PM »

You may want to check out this thread and it's links :

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=75161.0

Jerry/MD

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 11:53:25 AM »

The whole windshield thing is so tough to nail down. I started a topic in the General Section a few weeks ago asking how many each member on here had in their collection. It looked like the average was 4...yes FOUR windshields. Just warning ya.

I will throw in my $0.02 and experience. I'm 5' 8" tall with a 30" inseam. I like to look over the windshield. The stock version on my bike was too tall. I went with a 14" Cee Bailey and found most of the time my view was 'just over'. However with the BSR on-board and on up-hills it was right on the edge of being too tall. Plus, my wife mentioned she was getting 'alot of wind'. A few weeks ago I went with a 13" Clearview and it is the perfect fit FOR ME. I have an unobstructed view of the road under all conditions: uphill, downhill, with the BSR, etc.

All I can tell you is do a search on here and find some feedback with people who are a similar height and inseam. If you find someone who is close to your size, shoot 'em a message. Lots of great people here who are more than willing to help with advice. Good Luck...and remember you will need to buy 2 more windshields to keep up with the crowd on this forum.  :'(

Jerry

dlhovland

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 12:02:04 PM »

A clearview, a windvest, then a madastat. WOW LOL, Thanks for the replies.

bobsplus

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 07:42:31 PM »

I have a 16" cee glide smoke for sale..... great shape... 125.00 plus shipping gets it....
Ride it like ya Stole IT!

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 12:13:48 AM »

I have a 16in smoke Cee Glide coming in any day. I will be selling my 15in smoke Cee Glide (just a little too short for me) when I get it if anyone is interested...
Alan

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 06:57:53 PM »

Here at Bike Week in Daytona,
Just my .02, wife was complaining about the buffering, So we stopped at Klock Works at Daytona Harley yesterday ,they put on a demo shield , I put about 60 highway speeds miles, top was 85, and the wife is happy, went back, they had a brand new one on in less than 30 minutes
Problem gone
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

dlhovland

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 10:08:19 PM »

Madastat they flat work. The looks will grow on you . I had a c belies on my 2008 bat wing and loved it but it didn't work on my roadglide. Hated the distortion on the The road glide

fkjunkin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 03:34:26 PM »

I had the same problem as you and the Madstad solved it. We are roughly the same height and the wind noise on my road glide was unbearable, installed the madstad and it was a night and day difference, half volume or less is perfectly clear now. As a bonus my backseater remarked on the reduction in felt buffeting and noise in the rear seat. I also lik the ability to raise and lower the windshield depending on where I am riding, all the way up on interstates or during rain, slammed down when backroading it or poking around town. JMHO

popsracing

• Full CVO Member
  • 2011 CVO Road Glide SE
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 09:45:22 PM »

I have a 14" light smoke Freedom Shield which is the same height as stock...I'm 6'2 with 32" inseam and can see over top with no problem...Its a huge improvement over the stock shield and there is absolutely no distortion when looking through it ...I can't say if it works any better or worse than others that are mentioned here because this is the only shield I've tried but I can say the quality and customer service is second to none.

http://www.freedomshields.net/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:50:03 PM by popsracing »
2011 CVO FLHTRUSE
FULLSAC DX pipe W/2" baffles & TTS tuned
SoCal Tru-HID headlights
Easy Up center stand
Tour Pack Quick Detach Docking Kit Installed

IF YOUR GONNA BE A BEAR...BE A GRIZZLY

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 02:50:43 PM »

I'm 6' and my BSR wife is 5'11". The stock shield was fine for me (with all vents open), but my wife complained of major buffeting, particularly at the sides of her half-helmet. So decided to try a re-curve:

Just received my 15" Freedom Shield and will report results once I get it installed. First I've got to solve the issue of cross threading one of the four threaded brass inserts which secures the windshield to the fairing. Should the size of the Freedom Shield not work out as hoped, it is returnable so long as you don't remove the protective plastic wrap. Well I should have cleared the plastic from the windshield bolt holes to better line up the screw with the female brass thread. Even though I was aware of the warnings, I couldn't believe how damned easy it was to cross thread the brass insert >:(!!

Is there a way to "fix" the cross thread? If not, are these inserts replaceable? Anyone know what the best solution is?

UPDATE: Issue solved via the use of a 10-32NF tap to recut/repair the damaged brass threads. To do the job properly, the fairing needed to come off ......a much easier job than the previous RG fairings. With one "GLARING" exception, I must compliment the designers of this new fairing as it removes and reinstalls much more logically. The "GLARING" exception I'm referring to is, of course, the omission of a proper hood to shade the Infotainment display :'(.

TIP: The major headache is reinstalling the windshield screws without cross threading the brass fittings. The trick is having all the holes precisely aligned with the brass fitting in order for each screw to be freely inserted at exactly 90 degrees with no interference. When reinstalling the windshield, I found it much easier to align the windshield holes by loosening the fairing connectors first. TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!!! IT'S INCREDIBLY EASY TO CROSS THREAD THOSE BRASS FITTINGS :(!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 05:29:49 PM by TRIGGER-MAN »
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 07:51:32 AM »

I only use my fingers to put the windshield fasteners in.  If I can't run them all the way in with fingers I pull them out and start again.  Sure do not want to cross thread them. 

Yes this fairing is way easier to take off or put on!
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

sneezy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 08:51:59 PM »

I recieved my 14" Freedom Shield two days ago. I liked it but I needed it to be a bit taller to help the wife out. Im only 5' 10" (32"seam) but think a 15" will work better so returned the 14 today. The 15" should be here next week. Anyway I had a similar problem with one of the screws. I was being very carful but still jacked up the threads. That is some very soft metal.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 09:32:05 PM »

I recieved my 14" Freedom Shield two days ago. I liked it but I needed it to be a bit taller to help the wife out. Im only 5' 10" (32"seam) but think a 15" will work better so returned the 14 today. The 15" should be here next week. Anyway I had a similar problem with one of the screws. I was being very carful but still jacked up the threads. That is some very soft metal.
What color tint? Please post a pix of it once you install it. I'm on the fence about the 14" as I'm sure the height will be fine. Just not too crazy about how it looks. They have a 14 on a blue RG on their website but it's either the medium or dark tint. That might be making it look taller than it is. I'm in a similar situation. Stock shield is fine for me but the wife gets a little beat up. Looking for something with a dove tail at the top to help flip the wind over her a little better.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

popsracing

• Full CVO Member
  • 2011 CVO Road Glide SE
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 09:51:23 PM »

What color tint? Please post a pix of it once you install it. I'm on the fence about the 14" as I'm sure the height will be fine. Just not too crazy about how it looks. They have a 14 on a blue RG on their website but it's either the medium or dark tint. That might be making it look taller than it is. I'm in a similar situation. Stock shield is fine for me but the wife gets a little beat up. Looking for something with a dove tail at the top to help flip the wind over her a little better.

OBB heres a pic of my 14" light smoke...Its the perfect height for me...I can see over the top with no problem.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 09:53:01 PM by popsracing »
2011 CVO FLHTRUSE
FULLSAC DX pipe W/2" baffles & TTS tuned
SoCal Tru-HID headlights
Easy Up center stand
Tour Pack Quick Detach Docking Kit Installed

IF YOUR GONNA BE A BEAR...BE A GRIZZLY
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 25 queries.