Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Can I replace my OEM of CVO Breakout with a Metzeler ME880 Marathon 280/35 R18?  (Read 5973 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Dunlop recommends an 8.50 rim for the 250 rear tire. What is the downside to putting it one on an 8 inch rim?

I was hoping to double check the Dunlop website yesterday, since they usually list a range of rim sizes for their tires, but the site seems to be down.  There is a possibility that the link you listed just picked up the recommended rim width, and not the full range of acceptable widths.  For some strange reason I seem to remember looking this up for someone in the past and finding a range of 8.00 to 9.00, with the recommended value being 8.50".  Maybe if they ever get the site working again we can confirm.

The importance of using the correct rim width has to do with how the forces travel within the tire carcass, and also how the tread area contacts the road.  You can see the obvious problems if you install a tire on a severely mismatched rim size, but the issue isn't that obvious (or serious) if you're talking about a small difference.  The reason I won't personally recommend something other than what the tire company says is acceptable is that I'm not privy to their data.  There are areas on this site that are subject to opinion, which I will often give freely even when not requested.  However, when it comes to something that could affect someone's safety, facts are important, not opinions.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout

Looks like the web site is working now: http://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tires/
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Thanks, I tried it earlier this morning and still couldn't get it to load.  Finally connected, and the range they show for the 250/40 - 18 is only 8.50" to 9.00", with 8.50" being the recommended size.  If you or anyone else really wants to mount this on the stock 8.00" rim, I would suggest you contact Dunlop directly for their opinion.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ATH

• Junior CVO Member

I went with jerry's advice at the end kept my stock rear tire Dunlop 240 its not worth the risk! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 25 queries.