Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Can I replace my OEM of CVO Breakout with a Metzeler ME880 Marathon 280/35 R18?  (Read 5930 times)

ATH

• Junior CVO Member

Hello all,

I am planning to add a fat look to my rear tire by adding whether a Metzeler 260 or now with an advice of a friend even the Metzeler 280? What do you think? Anyone has previous experience with any of both sizes ?

Thanks a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE

There are a few threads already on this board regarding rear tire size on the Breakout's you might find helpful...

250 Rear Tire on Breakout Anyone?

240 Tire Suggestions for My Breakout

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ATH

• Junior CVO Member

Thanks fire so 260 fits with no issue any word on 280! As 260 fits a standard breakout I would imagine 280 would do with a cvo breakout

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Hello all,

I am planning to add a fat look to my rear tire by adding whether a Metzeler 260 or now with an advice of a friend even the Metzeler 280? What do you think? Anyone has previous experience with any of both sizes ?

Thanks a lot

There is a thread on the site that claims a 260 will fit, but it leaves very little clearance.  I would guess that a 280 would present some clearance issues.  More importantly though, you didn't mention if you planned to keep the stock wheel or buy a new one in the proper size for those wider tires.  The stock rim is 8.00" X 18, and I'm pretty certain you would need something wider to properly fit a 260 or 280 tire.  The magazine article I saw for the 260 didn't use a stock rim.  You should at least check into that first, before buying tires.  By that I mean contacting the tire manufacturer, not just listening to someone on the internet or at the local watering hole who has no tire engineering background.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

Thanks fire so 260 fits with no issue any word on 280! As 260 fits a standard breakout I would imagine 280 would do with a cvo breakout

The CVO doesn't have more clearance than the standard Breakout, the chassis is the same.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ATH

• Junior CVO Member

Thanks guys a lot for your input I am planning to keep the stock wheel!!

ATH

• Junior CVO Member

So i dont think the 280 would fit but from the replies quite sure the 260 would do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

I sent an email to Metzler for you about the tires and rims sizes, and just received their response:
--------------------------------------------------
Message: What is the minimum rim width required for your 280/35 VR 18 M/C (84V) TL tire, and your 260/40 VR 18 tire? Will these tires fit a 2014 Harley-Davidson CVO Breakout?

Hello

Here are the specs for the tires but we do not offer the front size for your bike so we don’t have a suggested fitment for this bike.

Metzeler Moto NA Consumer Affairs
877 202-4993
--------------------------------------------------

Jerry

ATH

• Junior CVO Member

Jerry thanks a million for that so will the 280 fit my bike ? Am cvo breakout 2013

ATH

• Junior CVO Member

I can tell that the 260 would fit not sure about the 280 though

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

Look at that chart again.  The rim size required for the 280 tire is 9.50 to 10.50 inches wide.  Your rim is only 8.0 inches wide.  Since you indicated you want to keep the stock wheel, even if you could shoehorn the tire into the bike without rubbing stuff, it won't fit on your rim.  And looking at how close that 260 was to the belt on that bike in the magazine article, and adding the extra width of the 280 versus the 260, I'm guessing it would rub.

As for the 260, the chart also shows that the minimum rim size is 8.50", once again wider than your stock rim but close enough that I imagine many would do it anyway.  I won't make that kind of recommendation however.  I'll leave that up to you.

Jerry

ATH

• Junior CVO Member

Jerry thanks again I won't do it at all based on your recommendation.

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout

Hello all,

Thanks a lot

Dunlop makes an Elite 3 with a 250/40R-18 that should fit. What say y'all.
https://www.denniskirk.com/dunlop/rear-elite-3-250-40vr-18-blackwall-tire.p542755.prd/542755.sku#ratings
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

Like the 260 Metz, the 250 Dunlop is made for a slightly wider rim.  For whatever reason, Harley seems to always supply rims at the narrow end of the spec range for the stock tire, thus making it difficult to install wider tires. 

I'm sure I've read several reports of people installing them on stock rims, but once again, if the folks who designed and built the tires don't recommend them on the stock rims, I won't either.

Jerry

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout

Dunlop recommends an 8.50 rim for the 250 rear tire. What is the downside to putting it one on an 8 inch rim?
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 24 queries.