Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Myrtle Beach ride home  (Read 5683 times)

SPIDERMAN

Re: Myrtle Beach ride home
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2007, 08:34:19 PM »

Bad thing Big B is that many on this site have switched to the 18" Metzler 880's on the rear.

No one around these parts even had one in stock. Took the dealer 9 days to receive the tire from their supplier. This worries me and puts a little doubt in minds of others about making extended trips and possibly having a flat tire on the road. Many of us just can't wait for 9 days on the side of the road waiting for a tire. I have called many Harley shops on route to and from Nelson to see if they have one in stock. Very few have them in stock. SCARRY  what I have done is bought 2 extra spares and took one to one of my plumbing supply houses. They will overnight it for me if I need one while on the road. Still will loose 2 days if I have to do this.

Moral of this story to me is that when we change things like modifying our motors or change our  tire size, and we ride on long trips we are taking a huge chance. If we have a problem it is increased exponentially by our modifications of our scoots. So now every time we take a trip we take the chance that we might have an extended stay somewhere, that some of us can't afford. :nixweiss:

Big B bad thing on this tire deal was that I was only 200 milse from home, I would hate it for anyone to have this happen 500 miles or more from home. Maybe my misfortune will  help others pre-plan a little more before making a trip.

Brian,
       Not to be a toppie, but try 3,000 miles from home. Anyway, you hit on one of the reasons I've been so reluctant to do a lot of things to my long miler bike. LD is all H-D on the mechanicals and tires. Gonna stay that way too. I really wanted the Xtreme Machine Arson wheels, but the more I talked to folks, the more I heard what you've stated above. You've got a good plan in case and I'm gonna say that you've got good odds that in case won't be needed though. See you in Spokane.

Brian 66
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 24 queries.