Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Myrtle Beach ride home  (Read 5743 times)

hogasm

Myrtle Beach ride home
« on: May 21, 2007, 06:49:36 PM »

Well the ride out to Myrtle Beach was uneventful. Made it down Wednesday afternoon and helped Don Ewing unload his catch of fish from a great day of offshore fishing. 21 dolphin, 2 tunas and a nice wahoo.

Thursday met up with A J, Chip and Nancy for breakfast. Chip gives great directions 8) the meeting place is across the street from the post in Surfside Beach. Well if you don't know where the post office is you end up riding the whole length of Old Kings Hwy. which only takes 1.5 hours with no traffic. Ok, I know but the damn breakfast spot is not on the GPS.

After breakfast Chip and Nancy led us on a wild ride around Myrtle Beach, which we spent most of the time looking at Nancy's tail lights. After playing with them all day, which was a blast, and eating lunch at a bar we will never let any of our friends waste their time doing the same, it started to rain and we called it a day.

Friday spent the day with my fishing friend Don, we rode around North Myrtle Beach checking out the sites. We ate dinner in Shallote at a restaurant called The Boundry. I highly recommend this to anyone :2vrolijk_21: The salad alone is large enough for a meal. Anyway eat there next time you are in the neighborhood.

Saturday met up with Pete4854 and his friend Lou, who was at Maggie Valley last fall. My uncle rode down from Charleston and the 4 of us met for lunch at HOOTERS.  We then rode out to Broadway at the Beach where Pete had us wait on him for 2 hours while his bike was on the lift

Could Petes bike be getting a few goodies :coolblue: Will post them in another place

Sunday started heading home. Left Ocean Isle at 8am and decided to have breakfast in Wilmington. Went the old way through town but road construction made me decide to make it farther down the road before I would stop, well that was the plan...As soon as I entered 17 at the north end of Wilmington there were 2 vehicles, a Jeep and a Suburban, going slow and riding side by side. Then the jeep moved over and there was my opening to pass them. In a sweeping right I nailed it going through the gears and at about 90 or 95 the rear tire blows!  The bike decides it is going to go into the center median of grass and after a few hundred feet of off roading it comes back on the blacktop infront of the 2 other cars. All I could hear was the squeeling tires from the 2 cars. Then the high speed wobble took over. Bessie's handlebars went side to side wildly, I had very very little control. I was able to play the gas and rear break enough to bring her to a stop on the right median. The jeep stoped infront of me and the Suburban was sideways in the middle of the road. Out jumps the guy driving the Jeep, and I think he was more scared of what just happened than I was.

hogasm

Re: Myrtle Beach ride home
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 07:09:09 PM »

Well the picture above is Pete's new addition.

Can't figure how to put multiple pics in one post.

Anyway after coming to a stop I called the Harley shop back home to see if they could call Wilmington to see if they could help me out. No luck the shop is not open on Sunday. Oh well.... just then Pete and Lou ride by and stop. After discussing what to do, a truck from Virginia makes a U turn and asks if they can help. They unload one of the two bikes they have in their trailer and load mine up. What luck :2vrolijk_21:

I was only on the side of the road for less than 15 minutes.    What luck.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 07:16:58 PM »

Dang Hogasm. Thst was close dude! SO glad to hear you didn't eat asphalt. That's two different issues with tires over the last few days. Someone is looking over you.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 07:17:41 PM »

Well the ride out to Myrtle Beach was uneventful.

So much for uneventful, huh? Sorry to hear your troubles, glad you were able to keep control of her without going down. Being a sunday, how did you get the scoot squred away for your return trip home? Oh yeah, did the guy in the truck chit himself also?

SOKOOL

hogasm

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 07:20:05 PM »

Well after Pete, Lou and the two guys in the pickup loaded Bessie up in the trailer :trailer: :trailer: oh that word hurts, we headed north.

Come to find out the guys in the truck are going right by Outer Banks Harley. They drop Bessie and me off and would not accept any compensation for their troubles. At least I was able to pay for their lunch.

Kathy picked me up on her Street Glide and my 8 hour trip only lasted 9 hours.  At least I got to start my trip to Myrtle Beach and end it on a bike :2vrolijk_21: 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:22:25 PM »

Brian,
Glad to hear you rode that out and didn't go down. That must have been one hell of a ride. :nervous:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hogasm

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 07:23:26 PM »

So much for uneventful, huh? Sorry to hear your troubles, glad you were able to keep control of her without going down. Being a sunday, how did you get the scoot squred away for your return trip home? Oh yeah, did the guy in the truck chit himself also?

SOKOOL

The guy in the Jeep was more scared than I was. I did not even see his vehicle while the wild ride was happening. Evidently he was closer to me than I thought he was.

The other vehicle which was a Suburban ended up sideways across the road. They just straightened up and left. Never asked if anyone was hurt or not.

hogasm

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 07:24:53 PM »

Brian,
Glad to hear you rode that out and didn't go down. That must have been one hell of a ride. :nervous:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Gary,    baggers are not designed for off-roading. Hopefully I will never have to find out again :2vrolijk_21:

2006_CVO_HD

• 2008 FLHTCUSE-3
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE-3/White Frost & Silver Mist
    • www.harleydavidsonbikers.com
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 08:43:09 PM »

I'm glad to hear that you weren’t injured during your off road adventure......
LIFE BEGINS WHEN YOU GET ONE!!!!!!

hogasm

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 08:59:21 PM »

I'm glad to hear that you weren’t injured during your off road adventure......

Just my pride from having to put Bessie in the trailer.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 09:37:24 PM »

Yeah, the look on your face as we passed you (again) in the tow vehicle was priceless!  I don't want to hear any chit about my bike being on a lift, just wish I hadn't forgot my camera :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  The guys who stopped were great and reminded me once again why I love to ride and be around others who do as well.

For the record, my bike was on a lift to have Jaybrake's new FL forward controls installed.  I hate those damn floorboards and I am very happy with the results.  Had to get used to toe shifting again, but other than that, great addition, bike looks real clean!

When are you going to installed the set you bought Brian? ;D 
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

hogasm

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 03:20:21 PM »

After Bessie gets her new pair of shoes, might try them on her for size :2vrolijk_21:

Gives your SEEG a much cleaner look  :orange:

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 03:43:17 PM »

Glad your safe and sound, I bet you could have done with some strong elastic around the bottom of your trousers :smilie_staub:

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 07:00:08 PM »

Good talking to you toady Brian, Glad you made it through this.

What type of tire are you running? Looks like a Metzler but maybe the E3?

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 08:53:29 PM »

Great to hear you didn't go over and slide up the road. Some skilled riding there. :2vrolijk_21:

Big props to the guys who helped a fellow rider out.  :bananarock:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 09:37:21 PM by Puzzled »
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.