Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: why is it so hard to fine someone that can really tune your bike?  (Read 5887 times)

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
Re: why is it so hard to fine someone that can really tune your bike?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 08:48:44 PM »

Answer to your question is lack of training. I found a great tech after trying 2 other shops and dealing with knuckelheads who couldnt tune a SERT worth a damn! It takes time on a dyno to dial it in, there is no other way I've found that works.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 flhrse3 blue
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 09:04:32 PM »

Kojak,

Who do you use?
"Chrome is like clevage.......too much is not enough"

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 06:24:33 PM »

Travis at Battlefield HD in Gettysburg. He wont let a bike out till its right.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

REGGAB

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 06:46:42 PM »

Travis at Battlefield HD in Gettysburg. He wont let a bike out till its right.

Sounds like Rod Cochran of Hanceville, AL.  He won't let you pay until you have ridden it and are 100% satisfied that is works like you want it to work.  Good Tuner!

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 08:22:41 PM »

Anyone know of good tuner in the Atlanta area??  Have had my '07 SEUC back to the dealer 4 times to get the poping out & it is still there along with crappy overall performance I believe.  Would like to find someone to realy set this motor up right.  Thanks

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 10:07:59 PM »

I think there is a common problem with tuners out there that they are not willing to learn through education...only through trial and error.  The problem is that their trials become our errors.  There are good tuners out there but the other ones doing the tuning are either too vain or too self absorbed or to shy to ask for mentorship.  I bet none of them have read some of the wonderful manuals out there to understand the science behind the art, either.  I think that they love what they do but not many of them are willing to put in the OTHER time to really start to perfect the trade.

Seegarz

:soapbox:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

REGGAB

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2007, 11:45:15 PM »

Anyone know of good tuner in the Atlanta area??  Have had my '07 SEUC back to the dealer 4 times to get the poping out & it is still there along with crappy overall performance I believe.  Would like to find someone to realy set this motor up right.  Thanks

Howdy Johnny.  You're not that far from Hanceville.  Head west on I20.  Get off at Oxford, AL and head north on US 431.  Go to US 278 and head east to Cullman, AL.  Head south on US 31.  Make a left onto Cullman Co. Rd. 616 and Rod's Performance is about 500 yards down the road on the left.  http://rodsperformance.com.  This guy is very good.  I'm certain TCnBham will back me up.  Give Rod a call and decide for yourself.

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
  • Non Riding for the moment!!
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 12:03:04 AM »

Whats Up? I have an 07 flhr w/103 kit, SE heads, and a SE tuner. I also had to do multi trips to the dealer because of pop, until they got it right!! I found out that the 07's have a closed loop system with the 0-two sensors, they have to tune around that and then add it back in after they tune it!! they spent alot of time with mine on the dyno, but thats what it takes to do it right!! I also learned that definitly a SE-tuner not a pwr-comander on the 07's!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2007, 08:14:36 AM »

SirMichael103,

I am not quite sure why you say SERT over PC for the 07, but would be interested in your take on it.   While there are things that the SERT has the ability to do as well as not piggy back on the ECM it is almost as capable as the SERT and in some ways avails itself to being more user friendly with a lot more resources being able to handle the tuning.

I think SEEGAR hit it pretty much on the head.   The old wrenches most of them are not computer guys and the computer has to make sense to them for them to relate the squares in the tuning programs into the tuning of the bikes.   The other problem is time, most shops do not want to tune the SERT because it is a LENGTHY process to do it right.  6-10 hours depending on if you have 1 or 2 sampling devices hooked to the dyno for sniffing.   Some have switched over to using 2 sniffers and others have started to use the wide band sensors, the problem being seen by the 2 wide band sensors is that there is a bit of lag in the 2nd wide band about 250 rpm of lag when used with the dynojet.

As Don said it is an art as well, and I agree it is.  Tuning is the balance between rideability / fuel mileage / numbers.    The other problem people are finding is that dyno jet PC is more prevelent in the market place.  That is because they sell a program that allows any yahoo to tune a bike pretty decently it makes them very common.   As many on this site can tell you just because they have a dyno does not make them a tuner.   Once you find one a good one, it is generally recommended you go with what they tune best.   

If your not willing to lay down the money to take a pot luck chance or be dissatisfied, it generally means a road trip, for some it will be a short trip and lengthy road trip for others.  Another choice is if you have the patience is to wait until a bike event and kill two birds with one stone.

While there are threads with tuners listed in them all over the board it might be a good idea to start a thread with Tuners names by product(s) they tune with, then the state to help and centralize all the information into 1 thread that can be updated at the top as people add names / experiences in the body of the thread.  Maybe it can be made into a sticky and probably could do the same with Head Porters / Engine Builders.

Ones I can tell you for Tuning.

Jim Van Gundy at Seminole Harley SERT / PC prefers Sert  Sanford, Florida
Jim Brown Bragging Rights mobile Dyno  SERT / PC / TMax  Clermont, Florida  Dyno at Stormy Hills Harley
formerly Clermont Harley
Hals Harley Davidson (Speed Shop)  SERT  New Berlin, Wisconson
Chuck at Cycle Rama    SERT / Power Commander / Daytona Twin Tec  Pinellas Park Florida
John Golden Rolling Thunder PC at all the major events and does tuning near Don
Doug @ Carl's Speed Shop PC  Daytona Beach Florida
Nick at Orlando Harley SERT Orlando Florida  *Only Nick*
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

REGGAB

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2007, 10:41:15 AM »

SirMichael103,

I am not quite sure why you say SERT over PC for the 07, but would be interested in your take on it.   While there are things that the SERT has the ability to do as well as not piggy back on the ECM it is almost as capable as the SERT and in some ways avails itself to being more user friendly with a lot more resources being able to handle the tuning.

I think SEEGAR hit it pretty much on the head.   The old wrenches most of them are not computer guys and the computer has to make sense to them for them to relate the squares in the tuning programs into the tuning of the bikes.   The other problem is time, most shops do not want to tune the SERT because it is a LENGTHY process to do it right.  6-10 hours depending on if you have 1 or 2 sampling devices hooked to the dyno for sniffing.   Some have switched over to using 2 sniffers and others have started to use the wide band sensors, the problem being seen by the 2 wide band sensors is that there is a bit of lag in the 2nd wide band about 250 rpm of lag when used with the dynojet.

As Don said it is an art as well, and I agree it is.  Tuning is the balance between rideability / fuel mileage / numbers.    The other problem people are finding is that dyno jet PC is more prevelent in the market place.  That is because they sell a program that allows any yahoo to tune a bike pretty decently it makes them very common.   As many on this site can tell you just because they have a dyno does not make them a tuner.   Once you find one a good one, it is generally recommended you go with what they tune best.   

If your not willing to lay down the money to take a pot luck chance or be dissatisfied, it generally means a road trip, for some it will be a short trip and lengthy road trip for others.  Another choice is if you have the patience is to wait until a bike event and kill two birds with one stone.

While there are threads with tuners listed in them all over the board it might be a good idea to start a thread with Tuners names by product(s) they tune with, then the state to help and centralize all the information into 1 thread that can be updated at the top as people add names / experiences in the body of the thread.  Maybe it can be made into a sticky and probably could do the same with Head Porters / Engine Builders.

Ones I can tell you for Tuning.

Jim Van Gundy at Seminole Harley SERT / PC prefers Sert  Sanford, Florida
Jim Brown Bragging Rights mobile Dyno  SERT / PC / TMax  Clermont, Florida  Dyno at Stormy Hills Harley
formerly Clermont Harley
Hals Harley Davidson (Speed Shop)  SERT  New Berlin, Wisconson
Chuck at Cycle Rama    SERT / Power Commander / Daytona Twin Tec  Pinellas Park Florida
John Golden Rolling Thunder PC at all the major events and does tuning near Don
Doug @ Carl's Speed Shop PC  Daytona Beach Florida
Nick at Orlando Harley SERT Orlando Florida  *Only Nick*

Can we add Rod Cochran, Rod's Performance, Hanceville, AL, PC, SERT to that list?  http://rodsperformance.com

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2007, 11:59:31 AM »

I'll add R&R Cycles, Manchester, NH.  They prefer Techno Research, SERT, and PC, that order.  The preference of TR over SERT is primarily due to a slight edge on software usability.  They describe the capabilities as virtually identical.  TR, however, does not have an update for the 110s yet.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
  • Non Riding for the moment!!
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2007, 10:59:43 PM »

SirMichael103,

I really don't have a take on this actually, I was only repeating what my tuner explained to me!! He said that the SERT was better for the 07's because of the 0-two sensors with their closed loop system!! I was happy with this tuner, because after going to a couple of different guys, he actually got it right!! It took him about 6-7 hours, but as I am learning, thats what it takes to get it right!!
  My only dilemma now, is which exhaust I should stay with?? I originally had the V&H duals w/oval mufflers, which sounded great, but everyone talked me into the Rinehart duals!! They do get bettter #s on the dyno by a couple, but I am not a lover of the sound and the whistle that comes with them!! What do you think!!
                                                             Thanks
                                                                    SirMichael

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2007, 11:19:46 PM »

SirMichael,

You bought a touring bike, what I like might be completely different from you.   Getting the very most out of the bike is not for everyone and if you don't like the sound you may want to go back to where you were happy, although it may take a minor retune to get to where your happy and it may not.    I personally like the rineharts when I am cruising they are quiet and when I get on em cars can hear me and I think they sound good.

The other thing I like about them is the quality of the chrome.   Any time I have had any issue with rineharts they have been taken care of, I can not say the same for me with VH they blew me off when my muffler on my 2 into 1 yellowed and within 4 months later came out with a new muffler that supposedly had a fix for that.   They won't get my money again, but this is what makes you happy and if the sound bugs you go back to where you were happy.

On a dyno I can dyno test your bike every day for a week and you will be very very lucky to ever get the same numbers out of your bike.   They will differ a little each and every day depending on the environment.   I wouldn't stress over 2 or 3 hp / torque.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

REGGAB

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2007, 11:21:23 PM »

I really don't have a take on this actually, I was only repeating what my tuner explained to me!! He said that the SERT was better for the 07's because of the 0-two sensors with their closed loop system!! I was happy with this tuner, because after going to a couple of different guys, he actually got it right!! It took him about 6-7 hours, but as I am learning, thats what it takes to get it right!!
  My only dilemma now, is which exhaust I should stay with?? I originally had the V&H duals w/oval mufflers, which sounded great, but everyone talked me into the Rinehart duals!! They do get bettter #s on the dyno by a couple, but I am not a lover of the sound and the whistle that comes with them!! What do you think!!
                                                             Thanks
                                                                    SirMichael

I'm thinking like you on those Rineharts SirMichael.  They're a bit "tinny" for my ears...................and it seems like everywhere you look, everyone has a set.  I've thought about getting them, but I've always had good fortune with V&H.......so I stuck with what I know.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.