Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Sound Distortion of Audio  (Read 2243 times)

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Sound Distortion of Audio
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 10:54:15 AM »

In speaking with a bike audio shop nearby, he said a good test for you to do to determine whether the wind is part of the distortion at hwy speeds, or if you need to replace speakers/amp or both to get a good quality sound as we know AVC cranks up the volume as the ambient noise increases, so turn up your volume nearly to the top while parked, and stand back several feet to determine if this is a quality sound that you want. And also to determine if is sounds thae same while on the bike.  Then go to work on front speakers, first with your replacement of choice. He also stated that since there is little room behind the rear speakers, it is difficult for any speaker to perform well. Where the front has  more room behind for the speakers to function better.
Sawyer Ghost

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 11:25:59 AM »

The HK amp is the culprit of your distortion, it is caused by the amp clipping.

Does clipping mean cutting out because of too much draw, not enough power? I have a HK system in my car and it sounds great, I thought that they were a higher end audio component :nixweiss:

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 05:41:58 PM »

i got the hawg wired plug n play amp and their speakers and it made a huge difference... 120 watts and the speakers can handle it too,,,   can't beat this one,,,, get it,,, you'll love it too!

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 06:09:57 PM »

Interesting topic. I generally avoid the stereo speaker threads as a lot of it is very subjective. I have found myself lately looking for more volume and better sound so I have been reading the stereo threads.

I run an aftermarket radio in my bike, a Pioneer AVIC N2, which from what I have been told makes decent power for a head unit only. I have tried Hog Tunes, Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, Biketronics/Hertz and J&M speakers so far. They all have their pros and cons. Not a single one has held up for more than a couple of months. Now I'm not blaming the speakers, it is I who turns the volume knob just as far as it can go. It is my understanding that I'm distorting the speakers and killing them. Thus an amp would/may solve some of my problems. Pez from Hog Tunes was straight up with me and told me his amp won't be much better than what I already have. I need a larger amp, the Biketronics unit is one of the ones he recommended.

So the search has begun, looking for an amp. Yes I can order the Biketronics amp however I wanted to see what may be better. This led me to the HDForums as there are several guys who have some serious stereos in their bike. I read their posts and after doing so continued looking for an amp!

Part of what is harming me is running only two speakers. It's a Roadie without lowers or a tour pac. I have considered installing two more speakers in the fairing facing the bars. I've yet to measure to see if this is possible.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

oldharleyguy

• Full CVO Member
  • Yeah, orange black

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra
    • open for business
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 06:19:17 PM »

changed front and rear to J&M speakers.  for 200.00 it was a good deal.   I only need 1/2 volume at 80. 
When I can't lift my leg over the saddle,this thing will be a trike.
1967 FLH * 2003 EVO Custom * 2004 FXST custom * 2007 VRSCX * 2009/1977 Springer custom * 2009 XR1200

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 11:36:09 PM »

i also saw in their website that hawg wired offers a 150 watt amp and a 2 ohm speaker kit..   had to be wired right to the battery,  they say good things about that one also..
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.