Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front Tire Wear  (Read 3481 times)

stsse07

• 2007 SES

• CVO1: Springer 2007
Front Tire Wear
« on: August 10, 2008, 03:52:27 AM »

Gettin' ready to have another front tire put on...The issue is the tire wears mostly on the right side and it is completely bald, while the left side has another 4000 miles....Does anybody know what the cause of this expensive fault is?  Air pressure checked ok...The dealer stated I should only do left turns....

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
Re: Front Tire Wear
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 06:57:21 AM »

I haven't had this problem.  But, I would think it could be coming from an alignment issue in the rear.  It would seem that a small front mis-alignment would be corrected by the rider.  Was there any abnormal wear on the rear tire?
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 07:32:00 AM »

Wasn't JCZ just talking about something similar?

Gettin' ready to have another front tire put on...The issue is the tire wears mostly on the right side and it is completely bald, while the left side has another 4000 miles....Does anybody know what the cause of this expensive fault is?  Air pressure checked ok...The dealer stated I should only do left turns....
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 08:20:12 AM »

Wasn't JCZ just talking about something similar?

stsse07 and he are both from California! :o :nixweiss: ???

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 08:26:21 AM »

stsse07 and he are both from California! :o :nixweiss: ???

hmmmm

JC's thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25782.msg418130#msg418130

But his is left side wear...or is it right side wear!

My front tire is worn on the left side of the tire (from center) much more than it is on the left
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 08:28:36 AM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 10:47:25 AM »

hmmmm

JC's thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25782.msg418130#msg418130

But his is left side wear...or is it right side wear!

:huepfenlol2:  I don't know, but something wierd's happenin' with the roads out there! :o :nervous: :alien:

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 05:58:53 PM »

Regardless of what ever comes out from your dylema, I would seriously consider checking the forks rear swing arm and frame; It all points out to be a totally missaligned front and rear wheels... by the way, have you crashed the bike lately?

I have also heard of several Springers that came bent from the factory and the owners received a new frame  :nixweiss:

That bike cannot handle very well as it is. Does it also wear the rear tire the same way? I bet it doesn't.

I put a post about checking the wheel alignment in some other post, but can't find it now; it's somewhere in this forum.

Good luck  :-\

Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

stsse07

• 2007 SES

• CVO1: Springer 2007
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 01:40:09 AM »

Regardless of what ever comes out from your dylema, I would seriously consider checking the forks rear swing arm and frame; It all points out to be a totally missaligned front and rear wheels... by the way, have you crashed the bike lately?

I have also heard of several Springers that came bent from the factory and the owners received a new frame  :nixweiss:

That bike cannot handle very well as it is. Does it also wear the rear tire the same way? I bet it doesn't.

I put a post about checking the wheel alignment in some other post, but can't find it now; it's somewhere in this forum.

Good luck  :-\

Spanish Flyer

The bike handles great!  I was on Route 66 near Grand Canyon, took her up to 110mph and not a shimmy but plenty of throttle left...BTW AZ takes care of her Route 66...New blacktop, clean and smooth...Great ride....

I've never crashed, bumped or kissed a bumper with the bike...The dealer stated there is no alignment to do on a springer, so their master mechanic says....Rear tire has normal wear and wears  evenly....Frame doesn't seem to be bent or forks either....Brakes on right side of tire, same side that is going bald if that makes a difference

Maybe another dealer is needed.....

Anywho, I followed WFP's link and I travel Highway 1 on my commute, not 5 or 99......I don't even feel any pulling to the right...

Thanks for info and replies....If the answer is found, I'll be sure to post.....

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 12:33:08 PM »

i agree the bikes handle great, i normally ride solo but with BSR n luggage its easy to scrape on the twisties
i`ve no tyre wear issues with mine.  14000km so far

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.