Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Harley-Davidson Extended Service Contract (AKA) Continental Service Provider  (Read 19417 times)

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3

Before anyone hangs their hat on Magnusson-Moss, that covers manufacturer's warranties but I'm not so certain it applies to service contracts.  The topic of this thread is a service contract.  Check it out thoroughly before wasting a lot of money remains my advice.  As for depending on a dealer to basically cheat for you to get something covered, don't you feel just a little nervous about relying on someone else to commit fraud on your behalf? 

When economic times get tough, warranty and service contract administrators alike tend to start squeezing the dealers, as in requiring prior approval for major repairs and in many cases requiring inspection by the administrator.  Not every service rep is an idiot who can be BS'ed, there are a few who know what they're doing.

Jerry

I agree with what you are saying ,but extended WARRANTY would still have protection under Magnusson -Moss . Service contract is a defferant beast. I took the original question to mean warranty as Harley does not offer extended service contracts that would be a dealer item.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded

Harley-Davidson Extended Service Contract (AKA) Continental Service Provider Extended Service Contract

If you are considering a Harley Davidson Extended Service Contract,
Here are some facts you should know;

The contract you are being solid is actually sold by Continental Service Provider (Continental Causality Company, 333 South Wabash Avenue, Chicago IL 60604 312-822-5000)
is a Licensee of Harley-Davidson. Than means they get a License Fee from Continental Service Provider to exclusively sell Extended Service Contracts with the Harley Davidson name attached.
You are not buying a ESC from Harley and Harley will not talk to you about it. If you want to hear it from the horses mouth: HD Customer Service 414-343-4056
The have hired CNA to Administer their claims.
Your contract says to call The Harley-Davidson Service Center at 1800-527-7665
This IS NOT Harley-Davidson it is CNA. They have a license to use the Harley Davidson’s name.

Harley-Davidson Customer Service is 414-343-4056

If your bike is COMPLETELY 100% stock they (Continental Causality Company )
will honor your claim after you or your dealer call CNA..

If your bike has a SERT (Screaming Eagle Race Tuner) or any other tuner,
they WILL NOT honor ANY claims.

No cams, heads, oil-pumps or tuners (not a complete list) that are not stock, basically ANY modification to the engine outside of stock configuration.

DO NOT believe your Dealer or Service Department about what they will cover. CNA is sending out inspectors to find reasons to deny claims. They recently denied a claim on my bike because it had an SERT. It was not even Dyno-tuned, it had a base MAP in it. They had the technician plug in to the computer and took a photo of the screen and black flagged my bike against ANY future claims for anything. I was less than 30 days into the warranty.

The warranty is good if you want to ride a stock bike. If not… don’t even consider it no matter what your Sales or Service Department tells you.

This is not a bad message if you ride a stock bike, if you modified it GOOD LUCK,,,, Just wanted you to know the Facts. Call the numbers above and you can verify this information.

I know the SERT will not allow you to download or view whatever map is in the ECM.  Are you saying that with Digital Technician which the service tech use they can see your map?  If this is the case how about re-loading the factory map before inspection?

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

I agree with what you are saying ,but extended WARRANTY would still have protection under Magnusson -Moss . Service contract is a defferant beast. I took the original question to mean warranty as Harley does not offer extended service contracts that would be a dealer item.

I don't want to be disagreeable, but the product that Harley sells is in fact a service contract, or Extended Service Plan.  A factory warranty is provided directly by the manufacturer at no charge to the customer, and an extended warranty is occassionally provided by the manufacturer to cover certain items, also at no charge to the customer (example, early Twin Cam cam bearings that the MoCo increased coverage on for everyone, no charge).  The product that you buy is similar to, but not regulated as, insurance.  It is not a manufacturer's warranty, no matter what the average dealer or consumer calls it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

REGGAB

I don't want to be disagreeable, but the product that Harley sells is in fact a service contract, or Extended Service Plan.  A factory warranty is provided directly by the manufacturer at no charge to the customer, and an extended warranty is occassionally provided by the manufacturer to cover certain items, also at no charge to the customer (example, early Twin Cam cam bearings that the MoCo increased coverage on for everyone, no charge).  The product that you buy is similar to, but not regulated as, insurance.  It is not a manufacturer's warranty, no matter what the average dealer or consumer calls it.

Jerry

Precisely, Jerry.  People get the terminology wrong and fail to realize the only warranty they have is that which is provided by the manufacturer upon original purchase and/or whatever remains of it upon resale prior to expiration.  Service Plans/Contracts are a completely different beast.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3

Jerry

Not taken as disagreeable rather interesting information, I thank you. I have always considered it an extension of the standard warranty,I now know better. I learn something new every day. [that probibly doesn't suprise some]
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

• CVO1: 2012 SE7 (10/15/11)
    • CVO2: 2007 UC-110 SE
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH

I had an oil line replaced by a dealer in Illinois and they routed it incorrectly causing the motor to be starved for oil. I rode the bike like this to California and back to Ohio. Needless to say, the motor was ruined when I returned home and this became my local dealers problem. I had heads, gear drive cams, power commander, HC pistons, and a few other mods and they covered it. They asked me to bring in my stock parts, so when the warranty inspector came  out, the motor would look stock. It worked and the entire motor from the crank up was covered. The dealer is the difference between what gets covered and what doesn't IMHO.

Opee

I tour quite a bit and it is hard to do that kind of stuff when you are on the road.

My gripe is when the sold me the contract they said it was no problem,,,,
 :soapbox: The contract sellers that say s;;t like that are liars!
and when you are on the road the service department will break it off in you because they have you over a barrel.

Just to raise awareness that they are tired of getting put over on and are sending out more inspectors.

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

I know the SERT will not allow you to download or view whatever map is in the ECM.  Are you saying that with Digital Technician which the service tech use they can see your map?  If this is the case how about re-loading the factory map before inspection?

Good question, I will let you know..

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

Before anyone hangs their hat on Magnusson-Moss, that covers manufacturer's warranties but I'm not so certain it applies to service contracts.  The topic of this thread is a service contract.  Check it out thoroughly before wasting a lot of money remains my advice.  As for depending on a dealer to basically cheat for you to get something covered, don't you feel just a little nervous about relying on someone else to commit fraud on your behalf?   When economic times get tough, warranty and service contract administrators alike tend to start squeezing the dealers, as in requiring prior approval for major repairs and in many cases requiring inspection by the administrator.  Not every service rep is an idiot who can be BS'ed, there are a few who know what they're doing.

Jerry

Could not agree with you more!!!! 100% on target :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.