Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Exhaust News  (Read 2913 times)

osmacat

• Full CVO Member
Re: Exhaust News
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2005, 05:01:28 PM »

You know, I've been modifying hot rod muscle cars and motorcycles for 30 years. Remember the SMOG pumps on cars in the late 60's and early 70's. What did we do? We took them off. Then came catalytic converters. We took them off as well. Well I'll be da#@ed if the government is going to tell me what I can or can't do to my motorcycle! I am sure a bunch of ingenious enthusiasts will find a way to make Horse Power!
2006 FLTRI waiting for a FLTRSEI?
2005 SEEG Yellow
2004 FatBoy 95

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2005, 05:13:41 PM »

I guess the best way to look at it is.... How many years has California had the higher emmission standards, and a penalty for messing with 'em?
Now tell me how many bikes have been sidelined to their garage for messing with it?
How many times would it be enforced on a national level.

Example: All states have laws in place to give law enforcement the power to make you park your car and have it towed for excessive visible emissions.  I have never seen it happen, and in this altitude, a poor running vehicle can literally create a smoke screen that you can't see through.  Nothing seems to stop them tho. [smiley=mean.gif]
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2005, 09:23:47 PM »

I guess the best way to look at it is.... How many years has California had the higher emmission standards, and a penalty for messing with 'em?
Now tell me how many bikes have been sidelined to their garage for messing with it?
How many times would it be enforced on a national level.

Example: All states have laws in place to give law enforcement the power to make you park your car and have it towed for excessive visible emissions.  I have never seen it happen, and in this altitude, a poor running vehicle can literally create a smoke screen that you can't see through.  Nothing seems to stop them tho. [smiley=mean.gif]

Exactly right and catalytic convertors in the mufflers is not new...in good ol' Cal. we have had those since 03. Thinking about it, I can't think of anything H-D could do to make it impossible to remove the exhaust. Maybe program the ECM, but there are aftermarket computers to overcome that. I'm sure they would like us to buy their stuff and not aftermarket. Looking at the auto industry, the cars barely ran when smog pumps were new. Look at the cars and trucks now...400-500 hp and they pass Cal smog. The same thing will happen if and when they start enforcing the laws on bikes.I have seen a car blowing smoke out the tail pipe pass smog inspection. I understand why but its crazy. The police are too busy handling major things and writing hazardous moving violations for the most part, to be stopping cars for excessive smoke.No enforcement yet but I am keeping my stock stuff just in case.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 11:49:44 PM by tonys »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2005, 07:42:50 AM »

Sandy,

My mind was wandering again this morning, and for some reason this thread popped into my (vacant) mind.  I think I know now what your dealer folks were talking about.  I seems that H-D is moving into the 20th century and is installing a closed-loop injection system.  That means there will be an oxygen sensor in the exhaust system that will feed back info to the ECM, which will then be able to make minor corrections to the mixture (major differences from the programmed values will just set a code, similar to the way the system works in your car) .  This still doesn't mean you can't change exhaust systems, however.  Drilling a hole and welding in a threaded fitting for the O2 sensor isn't very difficult, and you can bet the aftermarket folks will have the fitting in their pipes anyway.

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2005, 08:03:53 AM »

O2 sensor is already fitted in Rineharts.....
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 08:04:14 AM by BLM777 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2005, 11:10:20 AM »

O2 sensor is already fitted in Rineharts.....

Yeah, and that's one piece that doesn't break off of 'em  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] !

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2005, 11:42:12 AM »

Yeah, and that's one piece that doesn't break off of 'em  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] !

Oh my.....can't wait to see Hubbard's reply to that one.  Bettin' even money that it won't be pretty. [smiley=argue.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2005, 01:31:58 PM »

Oh my.....can't wait to see Hubbard's reply to that one.  Bettin' even money that it won't be pretty. [smiley=argue.gif]

I was thinking the same thing Brian.  Sometimes the E ticket rides at Disneyland are easier to get on than others  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2005, 05:23:39 PM »

As of now, there are no changes as far as selling and installing different mufflers, racetuner, etc.
The 06 Dyna has the O2 sensor...the other models do not. Frankly, I don't think we will see a difference. Aftermarket companies already have systems with the threaded fitting.
Same chit happened with cars. Now the sky is the limit for hp and they pass Cal smog.
I tell customers to save their stock parts. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
  • One sweet ride and Red Hot!
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2005, 10:16:15 AM »

I believe you may have meant a "catalitic converter" rather than a catlyist.  Simular to the charcoal smog cannister that has come on the Calif. emissions equipped bikes for a number of years now.  However, until there's an annual inspection or testing of some sort, people will continue to do what they have done........take em off and throw them away. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

We have had annual inspection in most of the Metro Atlanta area counties for years. If your vehicle doesn't  measure up then you have to get some work done to make it so. Then you get a window sticker for your vehicle saying it passes the EPA requirements. I just happen to live in one of the counties that isn't doing that just yet. But I'm sure it will be comming state wide in a few years. At least that's a rumor we have heard. Sandy
Sandy :)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 25 queries.