Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2006 Dyna issues Already  (Read 2645 times)

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
Re: 2006 Dyna issues Already
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2005, 04:17:27 PM »

I am no longer upset about the fact that they didnt put the six speed in the
06 SE Ultra [smiley=laugh.gif]

Just keep fingers crossed they did not change bearings accross the board  smiley=oops.gif][smiley=confused.gif]
Mr. Philips letter just mentions the dyna's so maybe allright for the touring bikes.

My bike was due on 8/15 ...still waiting. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

RedFXR2

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2005, 05:09:17 PM »

Just checked over at the Vtwin board.  Extensive discussion at first about a possible hoax.  Then interesting input from a HD tech.  Some of it bears out the thought that many or most Dynas don't see 15K miles.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=606613&postcount=40

I'm a tech, and we did indeed get this letter.

I would not say that it is because HD has already found problems. Instead, it is because the Dynas (only), got a VERY modified primary. HD wants to keep an eye on what is happening in there.

Some of the changes:
1) No longer have to tension the primary chain, in fact, the door is not present on the outer primary. There is a spring loaded "auto tensioner". Suspect the MoCo wants to keep an eye on this.
2) The Inner Primary/ Starter interface has changed drastically. Previously, to remove starter, you had to pull the outer primary and unbolt the starter jackshaft. That no longer has to be done. In fact, there no longer is a starter jackshaft. Since something must protrude through the inner primary to mate with the clutch hub, the "seal" that was around the starter mainshaft will have changed. The Moco will want to keep an eye on how that is sealing.
3) No longer have locktabs on the inner primary bolts. They may want to keep an eye on this as well, but as long as locktited and properly torqued, this is minor.

Historically, inner primary leaks have plagued the MoCo. The last few years they have gotten better. My suspicion is that they just want to keep an eye on this new design to see how everything comes out. Being as it is NO cost to the customer (other than not having it for a day during the service) I think it is a good idea. Believe it or not, the VAST majority of HD buyers these days are not doing their own 5000 mile services. So this would be of no added annoyance to them. For those more sophisticated owners (many members of this forum, for example), can do the service themself, and then take it in for the primary changeout every 15,000 miles. (Don't spend money buy having changed your own primary fluid, though, cuz they'll have to do that during the service  ).

I've never been a fan of the Dyna models, but if I was, I certainly wouldn't let this prevent me from buying one. If anything, the new closed loop EFI (requires 02 sensor in each exhaust head) would. Don't know of any aftermarket vendors yet who are providing any pipes that have a plug for the sensor to screw in yet. (But they WILL be coming!)

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=607014&postcount=42

Here's another "point" that I didn't make in my previous post. I've been a tech for the last year and a half. Unfortunately, that means that I get to do WAY more PDIs and services than I'd prefer. But here's something interesting. I almost NEVER do a 10k service on a Dyna motorcycle. ANY model. I do lots of 1k services on them, and maybe the occasional 5k, but I bet I haven't done 3 10000 mile services on a Dyna in that 1.5 years. My point? There ain't gonna be that many 15000 mile services on Dynas, because they don't get ridden that far! I do services on touring bikes all the time that have way more than 10000 miles, but not many other models (even softails).

From what I've been seeing, doing a 15000 miles service on a Dyna is about equivalent to doing a 90000 mile service on an automobile where the timing belt and water pump is replaced.

Lastly, an inner primary job just isn't that difficult. On the current models, flat rate is under 2.0 hours. (It's 2.1 to change the rear belt which is doing some extra stuff.) From the changes that I've been seeing, I'm guessing it's only gonna be 1.5 hours for the '06 models. Just not that big of a deal.

Like I said, it wouldn't change my mind about buying one.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2005, 05:24:52 PM »

The fact that it's not a difficult service (or even that Harley may be being proactive in requiring/requesting that service) isn't really the point though.  The annoying part to a new Dyna owner (it would seem to me) would be being told that (if I were that new Dyna owner) that my new bike with the "big" engine and the "touring" transmission really needs a bearing changed in its drivetrain in about the same number of miles that should be three oil changes.

The work may not be difficult (if you're doing it before the bearing has failed).

The time lost may not be much (unless you've suffered a failure on the road).

Just the concept, however, makes it a big deal.  They are, after all, telling you the drivetrain is likely to be unreliable.

RedFXR2

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2005, 07:44:17 PM »

The work may not be difficult (if you're doing it before the bearing has failed).

Agree.  Will it fail at 15K or 14.7K, or 15.3K, or exactly when?  Who wants to purchase a brand new HD with a "time bomb" of sorts in the drive train?  If they tell a buyer this, and the owner doesn't change the bearing out promptly at 15K, and it fails at 16K, will HD pick up the tab under warranty?  Or tell the owner that he's SOL, he should have known to have his powerplant torn down at 15k?

The time lost may not be much (unless you've suffered a failure on the road).

Agree again.  It ay be an easy repair in a shop full of tools and equipment by a HD tech but what about beside an Interstate somewhere?  And what else is liable to be damaged in case of bearing failure?

Just the concept, however, makes it a big deal.

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2005, 09:31:37 PM »

This bearing deal is going to get huge. Harley salesmen may have actually sell instead of just taking orders. I can just hear the $2k to $k over MSRP guys saying something like" and the bike also comes with a free bearing upgrade. Just a small token for being a Beta tester." This 06 is going to be a tough sell by Harley IMHO.

It is huge that Harley has released the info so soon. Can't imagine there are very many 06 with 15k mi yet. I hope they get a fix which limits the bearing replacement to just early production. Still hard to believe with all the technology available to design and manufacture things ,this is how they start the 06 production.

They need to hire me as a beta tester before they release the 07's . I would volunteer to pilot a new tourer for 15 k or so miles. [smiley=bigok.gif]

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2005, 11:09:58 PM »

I bought A new sportster in72  took it from WVA  to  Mardi gra strung parts all the way had to stop in Menphis to buy vise grips for A shifter clutch cable broke 20 miles out of Menphis and I had A flat and so now you buy A new bike and they tell you it will need worked on at 15000 miles under  warranty whats the big deal. [smiley=hippy.gif]

OTIS
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

RedFXR2

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2005, 10:41:19 AM »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2005, 11:06:17 AM »

My employer runs slightly similar programs on new components, whereby the dealers are instructed to not make any repairs to a particular assembly.  They are instructed to call a number and a new assembly will be shipped overnight; replacement transportation is provided for the customer at no cost, and the dealer returns the defective assembly for teardown and analysis. This is a valid way to get real world feedback on new designs, and also satisfies the customer by providing a brand new factory fresh replacement assembly.  However, in my 33 years in this business I've never heard of telling the dealer and customer that they have to replace a part every xxxx miles so that we can evaluate our design change.  Even though H-D didn't quite say that the part will only last 15k miles, that is the impression you get when reading this message from them.  I can guarantee you, if I was ready to buy a new Dyna and had this dropped on me, I would cancel the purchase immediately.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 25 queries.