Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Gone dead.(for 15 seconds)  (Read 4766 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Gone dead.(for 15 seconds)
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2005, 01:50:51 PM »

Not sure there was a different test other than the compression test that the dealer did on his bike, but they should know if you ask them to test to see if the rings seated/ or you think you're getting piston 'blow-by'......When he took the pistons out you could definitely see where all the blow-by was occurring.  He was using oil, no sign of where it was going....exhaust pipes looked fine, not much coming out the breather, no leaks.  But, one plug was fouling enough over a 500 to 1,000 mile period that it would start missing.....slight at first, then progressively get worse.  I think it is a result of breaking 'em in to easy.....need to use Joe Minton's method of putting it under a 'load' a few times right at first so the rings don't 'glaze over'....once they do that, they'll apparently never seat in.       good luck.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
  • God, Family, Country, Harley !
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2005, 09:49:46 PM »

I just got back from the dealer today and he looked at the plugs and said throw out those split fire plugs HD sells and put back in the 6R12's.  so I cleaned up the old plugs and put them back in and rode to the dealer.  He hooked my bike up to the diagnostic computer and was shocked to see no codes were stored. NONE after completly falling on its face for 6-9 seconds as I originally told him and the recurring misfires yesterday.  After that he told me to go ride the bike hard and if it missed again he would look closer.   So while he ate some lunch...I rode the cleaned up old plugs for about 65 miles hard.  No misses.  
Here is what I think is going on:

1. The cleaned up plugs (6R12) are more resistant to fouling as shone by the number of miles on the first set(I changed them at 5000K )
2. after I cleaned the front one up to almost new condition and re gapped it , that took care of the missing FOR NOW until it gets so bad that it starts to miss again.

I think he (the dealer mech) knew that was going  to happen and hoped I was going to go away after that ride...

Well I came back in and said OK the plug fixed the missing BUT WHAT ABOUT THE FOULING??  What would cause that I asked pretendng to be ignorant..He said leave me the bike and I will do a leakdown test on it ...
So results are pending on the leakdown....

but that is only half of the equation...like you guys said WHAT ABOUT THE TOP END ? Valve guide seals ? that wont show in a leak down test. return oil problem saturating the seals...
I guess those questions and answers will have to wait till I get back from Nevada on the 2nd of September.

Thanks for the thoughts guys and I will let you know...

By the way, I dug all through my manuals and cant find the PSI/ over time specifications for the leakdown(compression ) test. any Ideas?  That way I can double check the mechanic when I see him. [smiley=6.gif]
LeRoy.

Scrrem

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2005, 07:19:03 AM »

I replaced my plugs about a month ago at 5,000 miles and the front cylinder was fouled, not bad, but definetly worse that the rear cylinder.  I pulled the plugs this past weekend and the front is still a bit fouled but not as oily as before.  I may go into the shop this weekend and see if they can tell me if this has been a problem with other bikes.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2005, 08:15:07 AM »

By the way, I dug all through my manuals and cant find the PSI/ over time specifications for the leakdown(compression ) test. any Ideas?  That way I can double check the mechanic when I see him. [smiley=6.gif]
LeRoy.

LeRoy,

There are no hard and fast specs for leakdown, 5% to 10% are good numbers for a regular production engine, anything over 30% indicates you need some major work.  Most testers on the market will have the acceptable/not acceptable figures included with the instructions.  In your case, you can have good compression and leakdown numbers and still have an oiling problem - the leakdown test only checks how well the valves and rings seal,  and won't tell you anything about valve stem seals or the condition of the oil control ring.  You can have a good seal on the compression rings and have oil blowing right past the oil ring.  The only way I know of to solve this type of problem if the numbers come back OK is to start at the valves, checking the seals and valve guide clearance, and then pull the cylinder to check the oil control ring.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
  • God, Family, Country, Harley !
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2005, 02:54:20 PM »

Very true grc...very true.

Leroy.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2005, 06:39:45 PM »

Very true grc...very true.

Leroy.

Leroy,
   I just got my 103 back from the dealer today.
Warranty work.
Replaced the valve guide seals on the intake valves. The rear was fouling the plug.
Replaced the front Jug and piston. The cly was out of round from the factory making the piston rattle like a primary chain. No more rattles now and no more fouled plugs.
Dave

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2005, 10:10:28 AM »

LeRoy,

Take a look at page 11 of 108 in this document - new valve stem seals for '06 Twin Cams.  Don't suppose they were changed due to oiling problems, do you?

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/harleyhog3/06Master.pdf
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 25 queries.