Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finally.......dry and sunny!  (Read 705 times)

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
Finally.......dry and sunny!
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:33:41 AM »

Yesterday it was finally dry, sunny and above 32! Got a short putt in before the games. I didn't realize how much I was jonesing for a little saddle time!

Come on, let's ride! :coolblue:

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
Re: Finally.......dry and sunny!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:51:36 AM »

Yesterday it was finally dry, sunny and above 32! Got a short putt in before the games. I didn't realize how much I was jonesing for a little saddle time!

I am with you! Our winter is not as hard, but we had snow and /or rain for most of January now. Had a little one on one with the SERK on the first January weekend, and that was so refreshing. Cold but clear.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:58:41 AM »

I know what you mean. Went on a ride Saturday, the H.O.G. chapter's Polar Bear Run. Surprisingly, we had about 30 bikes out for the ride.
Aptly named this year, it was around 30 degrees when we started out.

We were supposed to ride for about an hour before stopping for a chapter picture. Well, the Road Captain and another of the long-term chapter members who were riding up front got cold and cut it short at 30 minutes. I was toasty at that point and wished we'd ridden longer.

The picture taking almost did me in, though. We were on the front porch of a historic home and the wind was ice cold. Funny, but I was warmer when we were ridin'!!! When I left to head home -- about a 15 minute ride -- I had to stop halfway at the dealership and warm up for about an hour. I was chilled to the bone.

Nonetheless, riding did wonders for my sense of well-being. The wife and the girl hate being around me when I haven't had enough saddle time. I get cranky, even b!+@#-y. They'll shove me out the door to go for a ride at that point. It's happened more than once this winter with all the goofy weather we've had.

Got in another short ride yesterday to a new dealership and back. It was much warmer (40-45) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now, just gotta hold out until Feb when my SERG gets here. Come On, February!

DarkEagle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond with Emerald Ice Flames
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 11:45:59 AM »

Down here in the Olympia area last week it was 32 to 34 degrees in the mornings. Rode Wednesday to Friday to work but what a rush!

Saturday had to take my ride into the dealer for its 1st service after finally passing the 500 mile mark. $pringers are $pecial requiring $ervice on the $pringer front end at 500 miles. Since I bought mine out of state, the local dealer charged me just over $500 but did discount part of it on a special. I'm a new customer to them so I know it will take a bit of time and my keeping an eye on service specials to keep the upkeep costs "affordable".

Anyway it was a nice ride in the morning, and had a great ride home, so Saturday was not a complete bust.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 11:48:35 AM »

Was 54 at 6:00am this morning when I went outside! But it's pretty windy, was thinking about taking a day off and go riding, but suppose to be in the upper 60's for the next three days, so I may wait for less wind!

DarkEagle

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 11:57:20 AM »

21 this morning here, been a bit icey and below 30 in mornings since yesterday morning. it is getting a little sunny after 8 am but still cold & frosty, more worried about road conditions.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 12:03:49 PM »

Down here in the Olympia area last week it was 32 to 34 degrees in the mornings. Rode Wednesday to Friday to work but what a rush!

Saturday had to take my ride into the dealer for its 1st service after finally passing the 500 mile mark. $pringers are $pecial requiring $ervice on the $pringer front end at 500 miles. Since I bought mine out of state, the local dealer charged me just over $500 but did discount part of it on a special. I'm a new customer to them so I know it will take a bit of time and my keeping an eye on service specials to keep the upkeep costs "affordable".

Anyway it was a nice ride in the morning, and had a great ride home, so Saturday was not a complete bust.

Don't know if you have the desire or tools to do some of your own maintenance, but you may want to consider it with regards to a springer front end.  Old dealer trick, as most folks don't know much about a springer front end and they look complicated.  This is not a difficult or challenging job.  My suggestion would be to buy the shop manual, a spring compressor (about $12) and if you have a torque wrench you're good to go.  About a 30 minute job including time to drink coffee and admire your work... ::)

DarkEagle

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 06:57:01 PM »

I've thought about doing my own service, wanted to get the dealer to do the 1st one since they changed oil & filter, trans oil, lubed, check belt tension, service springer, etc..., thinking they would know what to look for better than me.

Plus I had then check a few warranty issues I found: inspect & order parts for clutch hose kinked and touched front cylinder; and front brake master cylinder not releasing rear brake light; plus tighten front clip to seat and reroute oxygen sensor wire away from rear cylinder.

I might start with the easy stuff like oil & filter but like you said I need to get the shop manual so I don't miss all the little things like lube points and all the various things to inpect and disassemble/reassemble & torque.

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 25 queries.