Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Seat problem #2...seat screw won't stay in  (Read 2669 times)

RidinRuby

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SEUC Ruby Red
Re: Seat problem #2...seat screw won't stay in
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 08:02:51 PM »

I think it's a red bike thing... Mine went missing couple of weeks ago.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 12:15:06 PM »

If, when your seat is placed on the bike, there is little or no gap between the screw tab and nut (without any pressure on rear of seat) you can create some back pressure by bending the screw tab upwards a little. Had to do this on a softail once. It's not a permenante fix if you remove the seat very often but it worked for me.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 03:43:26 PM »

If, when your seat is placed on the bike, there is little or no gap between the screw tab and nut (without any pressure on rear of seat) you can create some back pressure by bending the screw tab upwards a little. Had to do this on a softail once. It's not a permenante fix if you remove the seat very often but it worked for me.

I picked up 3 extra screws today, just in case this becomes a regular thing.  With the strap and the rider backrest, I don't think the seat is going anywhere.  I didn't even put the screw in yet, since I want to look and see if I can find anything obvious as to why my heated seat won't work, and now my heated jacket stopped working while I was out riding today.  Add in that my GPS won't work, and I just can't seem to get anything electrical to function properly on this bike.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 04:08:29 PM »

I lost the seat screw on an 02 Ultra.  Went to the dealer and bought the nice HD screw with the HD logo on top... about $9 I think.  Well, I lost it too.

Then replaced it with a screw that held the adjustable handle on a weed-eater - had a nice little black plastic knob on top.  The knob made it real easy to remove the screw.  Never lost the weed-eater screw.

I like the idea of getting a allen-head screw... would be easier to take out and tighten compared to a phillips-head screw :2vrolijk_21:

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 04:14:31 PM »

I lost the seat screw on an 02 Ultra.  Went to the dealer and bought the nice HD screw with the HD logo on top... about $9 I think.  Well, I lost it too.

Then replaced it with a screw that held the adjustable handle on a weed-eater - had a nice little black plastic knob on top.  The knob made it real easy to remove the screw.  Never lost the weed-eater screw.

I like the idea of getting a allen-head screw... would be easier to take out and tighten compared to a phillips-head screw :2vrolijk_21:

They want $15.95 for that Harley screw that not only can't you see, it's hard to get to a point where you can see it.  Now that I have 3 extras, I'll probably never lose one again.  At any rate, that's by far the least significant problem on my bike and I assume that blue locktite will hold it in fine.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 04:21:33 PM »

Yep, blue locktite is great... kinda surprised that HD has not introduced a black and orange version and tripled the price :D

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 09:36:18 PM »

They want $15.95 for that Harley screw that not only can't you see, it's hard to get to a point where you can see it.  Now that I have 3 extras, I'll probably never lose one again.  At any rate, that's by far the least significant problem on my bike and I assume that blue locktite will hold it in fine.

Have a friend who thought the same thing.  Then he fought the seat to get the screwdriver in the slot screw drive slipped and you know the rest.  I bought the screw and think it is one of the best investments I have made.  Lets me pull the seat off for washing.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 10:12:09 PM »

Have a friend who thought the same thing.  Then he fought the seat to get the screwdriver in the slot screw drive slipped and you know the rest.  I bought the screw and think it is one of the best investments I have made.  Lets me pull the seat off for washing.

I'm not spending $15.95 on a screw I can't see, that keeps falling out.  It's not really that difficult to get to that screw if you open the tourpack lid and then pull that curtain at the front of the tourpack up inside the tourpack (the cable will hold it in place).  Then you can see the screw and get to it much easier.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 04:30:08 PM »

I picked up 3 extra screws today, just in case this becomes a regular thing.  With the strap and the rider backrest, I don't think the seat is going anywhere.  I didn't even put the screw in yet, since I want to look and see if I can find anything obvious as to why my heated seat won't work, and now my heated jacket stopped working while I was out riding today.  Add in that my GPS won't work, and I just can't seem to get anything electrical to function properly on this bike.
Hate to hijack the thread, but what's up with your GPS?  Mine doesn't work either - it hasn't since delivery.  Dealer finally decided its the module and ordered a replacement.  I just learned it's back-ordered with an indefinite delivery date. 
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 05:11:52 PM »

Hate to hijack the thread, but what's up with your GPS?  Mine doesn't work either - it hasn't since delivery.  Dealer finally decided its the module and ordered a replacement.  I just learned it's back-ordered with an indefinite delivery date. 

I don't know what the deal is with that thing.  I've got the bike going into the shop sometime soon and if I haven't figured it out by then, they better come up with a good solution.  If they can't come up with a part to fix it, I guess they'll have to give me a Zumo to use until they are able to fix it.  Mine actually worked though, at one point.  I programmed it and followed the directions to get where I was going, and on the way home, I veered off route a few times and it recalculated rather quickly, and still got me home.  Now, I can't get it to do anything.  It gives me the Warning screen, I hit OK, and then it takes me to a screen that says Navigation Starting...Please wait for GPS or something of that sort.  It won't go any further.  I can get to the calibration screen if I hit the NAV button twice and hold it in the 2nd time, and it shows that I'm not connecting with any satellites.  My hands are up in the air on this one!  Personally, I think it's a certified POS.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 05:19:15 PM »

Oh yeah, as far as hijacking the thread, I was worried that someone found yet another way for me to put a screw in.  The screw is now in.  It hasn't fallen out yet, but I haven't moved the bike since putting it in.  At this point, I just assume that it's going to fall out again.  Since I got some extras, I decided not to use the locktite yet and see how long it stays in this time.  I'm curious, since I don't think I've gotten more than a few hundred miles on one screw so far.  It's in there as tight as I could get it this time.  But again, if it falls out, I have a supply in the tourpack now.  With the seat strapped down and the rider backrest on, that seat is not going anywhere.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 08:17:52 PM »

Your GPS problem sounds the same as mine.  I think HK has a bunch of bad modules out there.  For my seat screw, I just used one of the torx screws from the windshield (a friend put a chrome trim on his and replaced the black screws which I threw in my coffee can full of cr@p.)  It's still there... with blue loctite. 
Now that you have lots of spare screws on hand, you'll never lose another one.
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member
  • formerly known as "UpChuck82"

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 12:47:43 AM »

You're really taking last year's MoCo bandana theme to heart...  "...so SCREW it, let's ride"  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3:

Good luck with your screwie problem ;)
2009 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
Arlen Ness Big Sucker (Chrome Backplate) w/ KN Filter
SERT
SE Slip-Ons
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.