Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Anyone mentioned metallic noise from the motor?  (Read 6799 times)

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
Re: Anyone mentioned metallic noise from the motor?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 04:03:05 PM »

Just talk to my buddy, where and when he noticed the sound, because I want to complete the information for all of us.

The metallic sound is barely audible if the engine is cold. At normal temperature (driving), it will be louder. Especially noticeable is between 2500 - 2900 rpm under part load. It may be that noise disappears in between (presumably if the valve-guide in the cylinder-head is stuck and no longer resonates). For this reason, it can be that the dealer finds nothing at his quick test-drive. So you have to insist, if the dealer wont make any effort to solve it.

Bandit
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 08:20:17 PM »

SBB,    this just happened to you following your valve train modifications that I recently read about???     Do you know what has caused the failure exactly?

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 06:22:27 AM »

I get a weird metallic sound at around 5000 rpm :drink:
Ridin Legend

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 02:33:55 PM »

Ahem, I think it musta been all that Amsoil! Couldn't have been the 110 design! They got that perfect by the time the '09's and '10's came out! After all, nobody who knows everything about HD's would EVER buy a 110 unless they were designed and built properly, right?!!! ::) ::) ::) :D ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 11:30:33 AM »

These heads must have been leftover from 08', very early 09's. The new heads ( including the recall to replace the heads on the Ultras last year) have fixed valve guides that will not more, pressed into the head itself. The bad thing about this design is that when a valve guide wears out you will have to replace the heads, so I'm told. But this should have fixed the problem unless you still have the old style heads. Also lowered the compression to 9.15 with this head instead of 9.3 in the old heads.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 12:14:15 PM by KingDog »

oakmtnbody

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 SE Fatboy Silver Mist
    • CVO2: 2006 Street Glide Black
    • CVO3: 2009 SE Road Glide orange
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 12:26:51 PM »

I get a tapping noise at 3000 rpm going through the gears,sounds like a lifter or rocker arm an is not there at 2500 or 3500 rpm.Let the dealer ride it and they said no problem.09 model took delivery in Dec.4000 miles and still does it.Servuiced twice with the good stuff,Amsoil.

Desert Dave

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 01:06:39 AM »

Oakmtn....Very similar scenario happened to me over the weekend.  On a 1,000 Labor Day weekend ride and I notice after a 400 mile day on Sat. I get a tapping noise starting ~2800 rpm up to 36000 under load.  Definitely coming from the top end of the motor.  Took mine to the dealer (who has his best tech ride it)and they say there is now noise coming form the engine.  No problems. I say BS!  I made sure the complaint was in my service record before I left. I run Amsoil in all three holes.
2009 FLTRSE3 CVO - Black / Orange - Clear View 14" smoked windshield, Full size custom painted tour-pack. SERT, 1.75 inch Fullsacs. Wild 1 517's, lowers, RICOR rear shocks, and Intiminator's on the front.

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 01:26:22 AM »

I found that when I use cheap gas the engine sounds like a hot air popcorn poper filled with nuts and bolts. It always seemed to happen at 120 Km @ 3,000 rpm.  I'm back on the good gas and now everything is smooth and quiet ( well Harley quite).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 01:19:36 PM by bribe36 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 02:02:00 AM »

I found that when I use cheap gas the engine sounds like a hot air popcorn poper filled with nuts and bolts. It always seemed to happen at 120 Km @ 30,000 rpm.  I'm back on the good gas and now everything is smooth and quiet ( well Harley quite).

??? :confused5: Holy Crap Batman! :confused5: ???

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 03:33:32 AM »

30.000 !!! , that`s  really a serious number , Muhuhuhahha ::)
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 08:05:10 AM »

So I recently came back from a trip up north, 500 miles each way. Just changed all the fluids, bike was cleaned and ready to go. Jumped on the scooter and did the superslab run north, running about 75 mph for about 10 hours.... When I got to where I was going it was raining. My bike ran good and strong the whole way. I stopped at my 1st destination and enjoyed myself... a few hours later it was time to venture to a different destination and I started my bike and it was rattling something fierce. The knock/metallic rattle was coming from the air cleaner side sounded like valve train but hard to pin down. Once the bike warmed up the sound died down quite a bit. I rode it anyway. The next day I rode it about 3/4 of the way home but the sound got progressively worse. So I asked my bro to pick me up with the trailer. The whole time the bike ran strong. No power problem. So off to the mechanic.

So now heres the prognosis. Rear exhaust valve was stuck in the rear exhaust valve guide and had to be beat out with a hammer. Seemed to be hanging up. No other damage apparent, decided to go with new exhaust valves front and rear, new guide opened up a extra thousandth, new rings/hone/gaskets etc. Also new lifters...

And... I had heard a noise for about a year, but it was barely audible.  I took it to 3 (three) different mechanics and no problem could be diagnosed withourttaking it apart and everyone said it wasn't worth taking it apart. I went and looked at it and the everythiing looks good, just the valve gets stuck in the guide.  You have to beat it out.  Exhaust valve on the front hangs up a bit too.   

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 08:22:27 AM »

What year is your bike??

This seems to be a more frequent problem......
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 11:28:31 AM »

The whole time the bike ran strong. No power problem.

Rear exhaust valve was stuck in the rear exhaust valve guide and had to be beat out with a hammer.

So the bike ran strong making good power on one cylinder?

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 05:41:31 PM »

I think when it heated up the valve would come free, thats the only thing I can figure...  I ran 80 MPH on 287s and the NJTPK on to 95s and never had a power issue.  It just kept ticking.  When it was cold it sound like metal to metal, loud banging...  The valve is not bent, no damage whatsoever to the valve train. I put the valve in the valve guide and it gets to about 1/2" from being seated and it sticks. If you push it seats. Its not bent and no wear. Burnt oil? on the valve stem about 1/2 way(its black) I dont know.  The mech says he will bore the guide to fit the stem and use black nitrade coated valves and it will never happen again.  Bike is a FLTRSEI2 (2001) with 40k.  Inside of the motor is immaculate. Has pretty much had either amsoil or mobil one in it since I bought it new.  Completely stock.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 05:43:53 PM by tony1968 »

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2009, 09:45:11 PM »

The old 2800 to 3200 piston slap is more evident with 8.5K spun on the clock. It used to be a cold motor issue but now it doesn't seem to go away when the motor is warm like it used to. The dealer says they have no way to document this as a problem and suggest I simply react at the time of explosion... I'm thinking it may be worth looking into an extended warranty. :drink:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.