Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2009 Engine Noise  (Read 4446 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: 2009 Engine Noise
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 08:38:57 AM »

Yup!  I suppose a clunk is better than grrrrind!  Has it not quieted down a little yet for you?
I have only 140 miles so far.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 08:40:46 AM »

I think I've made this comment a few times previously, but you know how us old folks are, we tend to repeat ourselves.  If you want a quiet powertrain, DO NOT under any circumstances buy a 100 year old design otherwise known as H-D.  If quiet is your thing, there are modern choices available that are much quieter (and more reliable as well).  If you must have a Harley but can't stand the noise, a good set of earplugs will help.  If you don't want any mechanical noise at all, I suggest one of the heavily insulated luxury automobiles with a high output stereo.

In all seriousness, a Harley is going to make all kinds of noises.  The secret to not losing your mind obsessing over them is to determine which noises are "normal", and then only worry about the "abnormal" ones.  Unfortunately, there is no simple way I'm aware of to gain instant knowledge of the difference between normal and abnormal, that comes with experience.  We can try to help on this site, but trying to diagnose a noise is a little tough sitting at a keyboard.  Find a mechanic you trust and develop a relationship, find some more experienced friends who can actually listen to your particular bike and compare with theirs, etc.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 08:53:30 AM »

The new exhaust is alot quieter than on my 35...
The sounds are familiar to me but the smell is the best, new HD funk in the shop...slappy, tinny, no biggie but 1st does plop hard enough top shake the mirrors, which by the way are very useable on this new platform. 
Schmoops could not believe how refined the ride was compared to the 07 serk glide last night.  It is nice to the spots again too.

I have D&D 2-1, sert, a/c and new fluids to put on in a few weeks...The factory pipe is funky. The right side muffler has a 4 inch long indent in it to clear the axle bolt, I hope the FC will fit. It better the saleshole said so...

Cigarmike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 09:09:32 AM »

There is only one way to make the noise's go away....turn the volume up on the Stereo. 22k on mine and it still sounds like there are little gnomes in there chipping away at the gaskets with hammers and picks.
You will get no more Respect than you are willing to give.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 07:46:01 AM »

When I first start my bike in the morning I have a ticking noise for the first 3 miles or so. Sounds like a lifter. Any idea?
Bill

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 08:20:22 AM »

Was just curious to see if everyone else is hearing it.  My first CVO experience so I may be asking a dumb question.  Seems like there is quiet a bit of engine noise, but that is the same thing I thought of when I purchased my first HD.  After I put the pipes on the noise seemed to go away.  But getting back to the 09.  Seems that the lifters seem to chatter quiet loud at 3000 rpm's. in 2nd and 3rd gear.  Is this normal for the 110's or maybe the lifters in my engine need some adjustment ?

PPOP

I characterize the"NOISE" as that of a GIANT Singer sewing machine on STEROIDS! :P After a measley +50K on Harleys and Indians, these are the sounds of American made-I have not ridden the Polaris bikes and a good friend tells me they are quieter than the old school. I did have the stator spin when the compensator nut backed off (due to bad torque specs) on my SERK and that made a noise that was very different and caused me to take it to the dealer-the SM called it and said the noise was the teeth shearing off the stator because the steel of the crank shaft is harder than the stator-actually makes sense that way no crank replacement was necessary. Be Safe! :coolblue:

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.