Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Power upgrade on my 2010 sesg  (Read 4375 times)

Tabatha

• Full CVO Member
Re: Power upgrade on my 2010 sesg
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 12:19:13 AM »

ours goes in tomorrow for our dealers custom version of that package.  stage 4 head work, TR-590 cams, high compression pistons, pushrods, V&H Dresser Duals and Hi Outputs and tuner with custom map.

i'm holding off on the 58mm TB, Heavy Breather and injector upgrade.............trying to stay rider and touring friendly... ;D
 :drink: 58mm throttle body is very rider & touring friendly--don't think you could expect that addition to fight back--I used the 58mm HPI and even the mileage improved ! It definitely added several horses !  ;)

harleycharlie1992

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 09:09:49 AM »

ours goes in tomorrow for our dealers custom version of that package.  stage 4 head work, TR-590 cams, high compression pistons, pushrods, V&H Dresser Duals and Hi Outputs and tuner with custom map.

i'm holding off on the 58mm TB, Heavy Breather and injector upgrade.............trying to stay rider and touring friendly... ;D

why would you do all that work, and then suck thru a straw? the better a harley motor breathes (any motor for that matter) the better it will run all thru the rpm range, you are limiting the working potential of your motor by adding a restrictor plate in your motor called a throttle body

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 09:25:55 AM »

ours goes in tomorrow for our dealers custom version of that package.  stage 4 head work, TR-590 cams, high compression pistons, pushrods, V&H Dresser Duals and Hi Outputs and tuner with custom map.

I agree with Tabatha in that the 58mm would still be user friendly and very driveable.

For some of us old riders, we've been around the block a few times with cars and BIG carbs, or BIG carbs on bikes.  With a carb you are very limited to airflow speed and the mixing of the fuel and air.  Bigger is NOT always better.  Too large of a venturi and the air speed drops and the mixing goes south really quick, very poor performance and very poor mileage.  But it did sound cool when you said your 283 had a 750 dual pumper.  It ran like chit, but bench racing was great.

When I was going through my research for my '55 Nomad Gasser project with a 540" 660 hp bbc, I was looking for "old school" looks.  I really wanted to go with a new tech fuel system but with with old style 8-stack fuel injection intake.  Very cool looking.  If you've never seen one it's worth looking up on the net for some pictures.

But I digress... When checking with some of the conversion guys I told them that I can only find large bore venturi 8-stack intake and injectors, like 1.75" to 2.2" and was very afraid of the too big factor, like on carbs.  They quickly explained that the motor only uses what air it needs and will not stumble at part throttle, like in town driving in traffic.  The electronics controls the fuel through the direct runner added injectors.  But at WOT it will produce more power, again while maintaining a very comfortable driveability at the lower throttle setting.  

Yes, there is a limit to how big you can go on a TB and "some" sizing is necessary.  My guess is that a 58mm is still way below any major problems with driveability.

I did a quick comparison on the Victory dual TB setup for a 106" motor and compared that to a 58mm TB for HD.  The Victory has 4.98" surface area in the TB compared to 4.08" of surface area in a 58mm TB.

I would definitely go with the 58mm if I got into my motor at all, like adding a cam etc.  Just to put on a 58mm to my stock SERG would not be worth the effort for what minor hp gains I might get.  But I'm sure it would still run fine and handle quite nicely around town.

I'm sure others have more technical advice or comments, these are just my findings from a few years ago.  I'm always trying to learn more and I'm very open to new info or even being corrected in my thoughts.

Dan
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 10:43:22 AM »

ours goes in tomorrow for our dealers custom version of that package.  stage 4 head work, TR-590 cams, high compression pistons, pushrods, V&H Dresser Duals and Hi Outputs and tuner with custom map.

I agree with a few of the guys here. In my experience, the 58mm is a real good throttle body. It also has better injectors in it. I think you will find that it is both touring friendly and performance capable when you want it to be. The gas mileage will be better too with a more complete fuel burn with the finer injector misting.  An added advantage for you to consider is you will only pay for one Super SERT tune and dial in.

In the end though it is your decision.

Regards

Jerry
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 09:51:12 AM by CVOStreetglide »

nazzz46

• Junior CVO Member
  • harley beast 1 and 2 at rest

• CVO1: 2009 cvo fotbob red and black (beast #1)
    • CVO2: 2008 cvo road king (harley beast #2 )
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 04:58:46 PM »

I believe the "upgrade" he's talking about is the 110 performance upgrade kit listed in the latest Screamin' Eagle catalog.  Basically high compression pistons, SE259E cams, and a SEST.  They claim it has the potential to produce 114 hp and 110 ft-lbs with high flow air cleaner and pipes.

Jerry
i already have the tuner from the dealer and the zippers hi flow air filter and i like the sound of the rush slip ons i have on the 2008 se roadking now when they installed the tuner they tuned the bike with a canned map ................no dyno tune ? what are your thoughts on installing the  kit listed in the screaming eagle catalog........ the bike has 12500 miles on it will the kit reduce the engine heat, and do i need to upgrade the throttle body also? any input would be helpful!!!!! Thank you 
i would never belong to a club that would have me as a member ................
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 26 queries.