Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Planning SF to LA to Lake Tahoe to SF trip, need advice please  (Read 973 times)

Babkis

• CVO1: Krypto

We will be flying in to San Francisco, renting bikes and riding down the coast to LA. From there, the plan was to ride up 395 to Lake Tahoe with a stopover, but a friend who lives in LA is telling us that's a bad idea because it's a long grueling ride through the desert, where gas stations are too far apart with nothing in between, where the desert heat will melt our brains and, most importaintly, in case of a breakdown (one of the 4 heavily loaded Harleys will surely overheat) we will be stranded for hours (or worse) in that heat. Looking at the map, it doesn't look that bad though.  
If anyone here has done this ride, I would appreciate your input. Also, please feel free to suggest an alternate route from LA back to SF.

Thanks in advance
Stan
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 08:42:25 AM by Babkis »
"No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be true." Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804 - 1864)

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
Re: Planning SF to LA to Lake Tahoe to SF trip, need advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 09:45:06 AM »

I have done 395 to Reno/Tahoe MANY times, 3 weeks ago and again next week. DO IT! The worst part is through the Antelope Valley (Palmdale. Lancaster, and Mojave), once your north of Mojave it starts getting better. Top off fuel in Mojave, you should make it to Bishop from there. Leave early and try to get to Bishop by 12-1pm, after Bishop you start climbing and the real beauty starts.
 A couple pictures of what you will see.

Red Rock
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 09:55:09 AM by Wrongway »

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 09:46:47 AM »

Lake Crowley, just outside Mammoth Lakes

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:49:16 AM »

Walker River section, great twisties and views. If your hungry at this point a Walker Burger is highly recommended. Just a little up the road on the right.

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 09:52:11 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:54:24 AM »

If you need any other info on this plan just pm me, I will be glad to help. Also Westcoastruss here lives in Bishop, so he can ad to your enjoyment. Ride safe,  Dave

NSTY110RIDER

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 01:35:16 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: to what wrongway said.
I also have rode that route MANY times, most recently on fathers day weekend. It is always a nice ride. You are through the desert in a couple of hours and then it just gets amazing!

This is overlooking Mono Lake on 395
2008 Screamin Eagle Road King

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 01:38:56 PM »

We will be flying in to San Francisco, renting bikes and riding down the coast to LA. From there, the plan was to ride up 395 to Lake Tahoe with a stopover, but a friend who lives in LA is telling us that's a bad idea because it's a long grueling ride through the desert, where gas stations are too far apart with nothing in between, where the desert heat will melt our brains and, most importaintly, in case of a breakdown (one of the 4 heavily loaded Harleys will surely overheat) we will be stranded for hours (or worse) in that heat. Looking at the map, it doesn't look that bad though.  
If anyone here has done this ride, I would appreciate your input. Also, please feel free to suggest an alternate route from LA back to SF.

Thanks in advance
Stan

your friend is correct and wrong. Yes the desert heat from Lancaster to Bishop is grueling. A 105 degree day, which is common this time of the year, will melt your brain but as far as gas stations far apart, thats not a correct statement. From Lancaster to Bishop gas stations and rest stops seem to be evenly spaced at 40-50 miles and some sections even much less. If you were here asking about a ride to Death Valley this time of the year, i would tell you and anyone 'no way, your nuts'. But this ride your taking would be do different than any ride, if your prepared for it anyway. The most important thing you need to do is stock up on H20 and dont let your supply dwindle,, keep your supply of H20 stocked through the whole ride and keep yourself, friends and passengers hydrated at all times, drink lots & lots of water. Also, get yourself and everyone a Hydro vest, like this one: http://store.barnettharley.com/index.php/harley-davidson-h20-hydration-vest.html?options=cart . These things work, my wife an i both use these and the trick is to make sure you re-soak them at every rest stop possible. Also, you want to wear them under your leather jacket,, YES i said 'leather jacket' - otherwise your H20 vest wont last 5 miles. The jacket also retains the coolness to your body rather than simply evaporating in the air. One last suggestion, try to plan your trip through the desert section as early as possible. If you leave Lancaster around 5-6 a.m. you'll be in Bishop by noon at the latest and you would beat the hottest part of the day. Avoid riding in the desert heat between 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. As far as breaking down in no where land, don't worry about that, hwy 395 is a very busy highway, and cell service is pretty much available everywhere along the highway. If you break down, just stay hydrated and watch for rattle snakes, there everywhere. I've road that section of hwy many many times, hot and cold and never once was miserably uncomfortable... Follow these basic rules and go for it. The ride is beautiful and you will enjoy every mile.. AND Dont forget your camera..    :2vrolijk_21:  

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 01:51:48 PM »

Highway 1,  the coast road was closed in April/May due to a large landslide, does anybody have an update is it open again now?
see my report here,  includes a map of the diversion
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=62649.0

dont let this put you off ride as far as you can and take the diversion like we did!

Another Tipp   dont park on the sidewalk if you make a stop in Monterey!  35$fine

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 05:44:48 PM »

395 is a great ride to really see the majestic beauty of the Sierras from the east side. It will get warm, recommend long sleeve white shirts to help protect from the sun. Chapstick and sunscreen.

West side of Sierra foothills, Hwy-99 to Hwy-49 to Yosemite's Tioga Pass to 395 to Tahoe is nice also but takes more time.

Wrongway knows Lancaster to Tahoe. WestCoastRuss lives in the Mammoth area of Hwy-395.

Googlemap the trip and look up the cities in between on Weather.com. Doubt it will get much cooler between now and end of August.

I didn't worry about running out of gas.

California Highway 1 lovers, take note: A section of the coastal route that has been shut for nearly two months reopened Thursday (June 9) afternoon, but that's hardly the end of repairs and slowdowns in other stretches.
Caltrans spokeswoman Susana Cruz said repairs to the scenic road (Hwy-1) at a point roughly 40 miles south of Big Sur have been completed and that lanes in both directions have opened to traffic. This spot was closed by a landslide April 14, forcing motorists to make a long inland detour using U.S. Highway 101.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:46:55 PM by DDavidson »
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 11:46:28 PM »

Wrongway is correct.....this is a beautiful ride.  If I know ahead of time, the beverages are on me.....and/or I will ride north with you for lunch.  Bring your camera too!!!! :huepfenjump3:
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.