Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: New 2012 Saddlebag Speakers in 2011 FHLXSE2?  (Read 6561 times)

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
Re: New 2012 Saddlebag Speakers in 2011 FHLXSE2?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 06:32:57 PM »

You know what I find amusing....they make a speaker kit so that your bike can look like the FLHXSE3, then tell you it doesn't fit the FLHXSE2 so that you STILL need to do the same mod to get the infamous 6B connector. Why would you buy the kit for a FLHXSE2 if you already have the lower speakers :nixweiss:

I can only imagine they think SESG owners want rear speakers like the SEUC owners???  :nixweiss:

However, the SEUC owners don't get lower speakers (as standard equipment) like the SESG owners do!

It's a mystery.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 07:20:46 PM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Rhodsman

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2009 Custom Rocker
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 06:51:44 PM »

mjb765, totally agree. It does not make any sense to buy the full kit when we already have 75% of it. I am hoping that I can just add the rear amp, speakers, and lids, and connector. I am sure this is just a wiring issue that could be worked around. If anyone has additional insights about this "Connector 6" and feasibility of work around, please share.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 08:21:39 AM »

mjb765, totally agree. It does not make any sense to buy the full kit when we already have 75% of it. I am hoping that I can just add the rear amp, speakers, and lids, and connector. I am sure this is just a wiring issue that could be worked around. If anyone has additional insights about this "Connector 6" and feasibility of work around, please share.

I didn't read the install instructions since I have no interest in doing this mod, but if the 6B connector is the problem with this also, read here.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=56934.0

It was written to help the FLHXSE2 owners do XM and CB installs since it uses the same harness that depends on that 6B for power.

If you just want to add the rear speakers and amp, then you might not need 6B.....I don't know..I'm sure if Carl (Harleypingman) reads this he may chime in with the answer. He seems to know stuff like this.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 11:30:15 AM »

NOTE:  If you check the wiring diagram in reply 1 of the thread below, you'll notice that the SESG3 uses the same pinouts of the Harman Kardon radio for rear speakers that are used for non-CVO Ultras and SESG3 style kits for the saddlebag lid speakers:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=66017.0  (See connector 162B, and pinouts 1,2,24, and 25 of connector 28--those are the rear speaker pinouts).

Suggests there's no inherent reason the saddlebag speaker kit won't work on an SESG2.  

I can't see any rhyme or reason to HD's wiring or component location for the SESG3.  Why move the iPod module to the right saddlebag lid from the top of the HK radio as it is on the SESG2, (and presumably creating space for mounting the second amp next to the first amp on top of the radio), only to mount the second amp in the left saddlebag?  Also, why create space on top of the HK radio on the SESG3, (for an XM, NIM, or CB module, for example) only to omit connecator 6B so none of those plug and play modules will work on the SESG3 according to HD?

As mjb765 pointed out, HD's official position is the XM, NIM and CB accessories are "no fits" on the SESG2, yet members here have found relatively simple work arounds to successfully install them on their bikes.  The same should be true with this speaker lid kit.  The pinouts on the HK radio for the rear speakers are unused and it's easy to access those with four wires (and appropriate sockets attached) inserted into the 35 wire connector that's already installed on the SESG2.  According to Tony at Iron Cross Audio, those pinouts are "live" and no dealer download is required to hear speakers attached to them.

From a head unit standpoint, there's no reason the saddlebag speaker kit won't work on an SESG2 since the HK head unit is the same for all models.  HD simply hasn't offered a compatible wiring harness to connect the lid speakers to the HK radio.  HD wants buyers to use the non-Ultra overlay harness (which comes with rear speaker connectors as part of the harness), or use their new harness 69200106 (which includes a 35 wire connector to plug into the back of the HK, as well as rear speaker connectors).  Since the SESG2 already has a 35 wire connector plugged into the back of the HK radio for the iPod module, HD hasn't taken the time to provide a simple harness (consisting of preterminated wires for the rear speakers to be inserted into the 35 wire connector--as they do with the iPod and NIM modules in the accessory catalog--at one end, and mating rear speaker connectors at the other) to do on the SESG2 what the 69200106 harness does for non-CVO bikes.  Since the parts are available from HD to make-up the harness that is compatible with the SESG2, no doubt someone will do this.

Yesterday I ordered the unpainted saddlebag lids, saddlebag speaker grilles, and protective baskets--basically the main components included in the saddlebag speaker kit minus the speakers and harnesses.  It will be a Fall/Winter project primarily because the lids won't get painted until then.  In the meantime, I'll be shopping for some 4 ohm (the kit's speaekers are 2 ohm impedance) 5X7 speakers to use with a second Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 (75W per channel, 4-channel) amp.  My '04 EG already has the HK headunit, HD CB, and Boom Audio Music & Intercom kit, 77108-09, RF PBR300X4 amp driving fairing and fairing lowers speakers in '11 CVO speaker boxes (now called "housings" on the SESG3).  Like the SESG2, HD says the saddlebag speaker kit won't fit bikes equipped with the BAMI kit I have.  Why HD says it won't fit is probably due to the harnesses included in the BAMI kit not being plug and play compatible with the harnesses supplied with the saddlebag speaker kit--the same problem SESG2 owners have, but with the same opportunity to work around the "no  fit" issues with some study of the wiring diagrams and parts book.  

An SESG2 owner could probably buy the 69200106 harness; plug it into the HK after removing the OEM 35 wire connector; remove the wires inserted into the OEM connector and reinsert them in the 69200106's connector (to maintain the iPod module connections to the HK); and, install the saddlebag speaker kit per the isntructions.  Granted there won't be a 6B connector, but I can't see why it would be needed, and, if it is, use the same work around that's well documented for the XM and NIM modules successfully installed on the SESG2.

Hopefully, an SESG2 owner here will actually undertake the project and post information here for use by other SESG2 owners.

Carl

PS:  Rhodsman, if you give your local parts counter guy/gal the p/n of the HD kit you're interested in, he can get the installation instructions on his computer.  On the first page, near the top of the instructions there will be a "J" number:  "J0XXXX."  Just substitute that "J" number for the "J" number in the link I posted and 95% of the time you can get a pdf version of the instructions.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:36:10 PM by Harleypingman »

Rhodsman

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2009 Custom Rocker
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 12:24:13 PM »

Guys, awesome feedback. Special Thanks, Carl.

FYI - there is a link to installation guide that you reference further up on this thread. I read it but lack the technical skill to determine the work around. I'll study your comments and the guide further. Thanks.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 12:59:08 PM »

Check with Tony at Iron Cross Audio regarding the addition of the saddlebag speaker kit's electrical.  As I mentioned, the 6B connector issue is primarily an issue for providing power and ground to the module (e.g. XM, CB, etc.), and the CAN + and - connections that tell the HK that the module is installed.  There doesn't seem to be any requirement for either of those when simply hooking up a pair of speakers. 

Good luck with your research.

Carl

HD Kid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: Scarlet Red & Charcoal Slate VRSCSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO2: Kryptonite FLHXSE2
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 11:31:15 PM »

As usual, Great info carl!   :2vrolijk_21:

I will probly tackle this setup this winter as well.  To have a guinea pig to follow would b great rhodsman  ;D   

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 10:00:20 AM »

Guys, awesome feedback. Special Thanks, Carl.

FYI - there is a link to installation guide that you reference further up on this thread. I read it but lack the technical skill to determine the work around. I'll study your comments and the guide further. Thanks.

There are actually two work arounds in the thread mjb765 posted.  The first is to provide the 6B connector that is omitted from the SESG2 and 3 models, but found on all other non-CVO Touring models with fairings.  The second work around, reply 12, accomplishes the same thing w/o adding the 6B connector; instead, it provides splices to the existing wiring on the SESG2 that is used for the iPod interface module and piggybacks that wiring for the XM module.  The wiring being piggybacked are the power and ground, and CAN + and -.

If you want really good advice from an owner of an SESG2, contact TIF2 (Rich) regarding audio wiring, etc.  He's a very good guy and you'll find him to be very helpful.

Carl
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.