Author Topic: HD XM  (Read 2390 times)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: HD XM
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 06:22:07 PM »

Even if it worked 100% with perfect reception at all times, you are aware that the sonic quality of the XM stream is just a fraction of a CD or even Higher Quality Ipod? (I always rip to 192kps.)  XM allows up to 128kps for a internet connection, but the terrestrial (satellight) signal is often more like 32kps to 64 kps.  Worse, they use inferrior codecs and variable bitrates. For reference, a CD is 1,411 kps (@16B, higher at 24B).  If you listen to a CD then XM, the difference in quality should be overwhelmingly apparent.

All this may be true if you're listening on a premium audio system in your house.  But when listening to your iPod or XM on a motorcycle sound system, you can't tell that much difference, even if your standing still.  I have both the iPod and XM on my RUSE, and they are so similar in sound, it's not worth mentioning.   Even on the outstanding sound system on the SESG3 will you notice that much difference.  In my truck I have an Infinity sound system and have Sirius and played CDs; it's a little more noticeable in the truck because it's more acoutically sound then the bike is, but still not that noteworthy.  I like have XM and iPod, that way I havimg a change in venues if I so desire.  JMO...

:devil:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 06:25:14 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 06:53:14 PM »

Everyone is different, no doubt about that. You are right that on the highway, you will be hard pressed to hear a difference, but I guaranty, if you are ripping original CD's to MP3 at 192 or higher, there is a drastic difference in quality, that is very noticable at less than highway speed. At least with my set up with 4 - 7.25 Rokkers in the fairing and lowers, and 2 of the matching Rokkers in the back with an extra 250a running the fairing, and the stock 160 running the other 4.  As a matter of fact, there's a considerable difference between the Std iTunes downloads and 192K MP3's.

Again, I'm not trying to talk anyone out of buying XM. I mean, what's $10/Mo if you already have the system that comes standard with our bikes. If you are happy, who's to tell you different?  My wife can't tell the difference between FM radio and a 24K/44Hz Surround material on my high end audio system at home, so to each their own. However, the point remains, if you have the ear for it, and the equipment to present the differences, it's absolutely there. Your mileage may vary.

If anyone wants a demo of the various bitrate formats, bring a few beers and mosey on over!    :drink:
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

bhtko

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 07:31:44 PM »

All this may be true if you're listening on a premium audio system in your house.  But when listening to your iPod or XM on a motorcycle sound system, you can't tell that much difference, even if your standing still.  I have both the iPod and XM on my RUSE, and they are so similar in sound, it's not worth mentioning.   Even on the outstanding sound system on the SESG3 will you notice that much difference.  In my truck I have an Infinity sound system and have Sirius and played CDs; it's a little more noticeable in the truck because it's more acoutically sound then the bike is, but still not that noteworthy.  I like have XM and iPod, that way I havimg a change in venues if I so desire.  JMO...

:devil:

I couldn't agree more... when riding I cannot tell one bit of difference between my XM or a CD... JMO as well.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 25 queries.