Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Permatex Thread repair  (Read 7483 times)

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
Re: Permatex Thread repair
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 03:09:48 PM »

:oops: HERE>http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/thread_compounds/thread_repair.htmm

I can fix stuff but this cut and paste computer stuff throws me for a loop
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 09:48:54 PM »

using a torque wrench..if that had been done every time the fastener was put in it most likely would still be functional since improper, over tightened or under tightened fasteners will cause premature failure, not an OPINION but FACT.

Used one every time on my inspection cover, and I still have inserts.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 12:43:12 AM »

Used one every time on my inspection cover, and I still have inserts.

I stripped one taking it apart.... not much you can do.. it'll fail eventually.

You would think that a bolt that has a TQ of a little more than hand tight would never strip... must be HD quality. :nixweiss:

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 03:52:20 PM »

One thing that can help long term reliability of the steel bolts screwed into soft aluminum threads is to reduce the amount of galvanic corrosion that occurs with the dissimilar metals.  The use of either thread locker coatings or anti-seize coatings can have that beneficial effect.  I wouldn't use a thread locker on the small 1/4-20 stuff, but I do use a light coating of anti-seize.  Haven't had any problems with inspection cover threads since I started doing that, and also haven't had any bolt heads (internal hex or Torx) strip out either.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 10:43:05 PM »

One thing that can help long term reliability of the steel bolts screwed into soft aluminum threads is to reduce the amount of galvanic corrosion that occurs with the dissimilar metals.  The use of either thread locker coatings or anti-seize coatings can have that beneficial effect.  I wouldn't use a thread locker on the small 1/4-20 stuff, but I do use a light coating of anti-seize.  Haven't had any problems with inspection cover threads since I started doing that, and also haven't had any bolt heads (internal hex or Torx) strip out either.

Jerry

now i dont feel like the lone ranger...  been doing the same for years jerry and several arguments along with it.. BUT like you, never had one problem since ... I tell ya,,, bring this subject up in the 'wrong' forum and you'll have bone heads trying to tell how much smarter they are...   A few of em linger over here,, but only a very few   :P 

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 10:57:02 PM »

Jerry

This applies to most dissimilar metal interactions. The compounds prevent oxidation of a galvanized bolt, rusting of non-galv and prevents galling of stainless.

I've used LT Red on 1/4x20 bolts, depending on what its for with no adverse effects. (of course that means hand tight going on is NOT going to be hand tight coming off... good stuff) on the smaller bolts use LT Blue.... bolts already in place?... use LT Green.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 01:27:55 PM »

There is a big difference between thread lockers and anti-seize compounds. Just a little confused about how they are being grouped together on the thread.   :nixweiss:
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 01:51:20 PM »

There is a big difference between thread lockers and anti-seize compounds. Just a little confused about how they are being grouped together on the thread.   :nixweiss:

You're absolutely correct, they are two totally different products.  Use a thread locker where it's called for, use anti-seize where thread locker isn't required.  Do not use both at the same time. ;)

Jerry

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »

You're absolutely correct, they are two totally different products.  Use a thread locker where it's called for, use anti-seize where thread locker isn't required.  Do not use both at the same time. ;)

Jerry

You did say "or"  :huepfenjump3:

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 25 queries.