Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 120 CVO CRATE MOTOR  (Read 8072 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Re: 120 CVO CRATE MOTOR
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 01:53:39 PM »

Have to agree with you nudels2u75, I enjoy my HD but I'm not capable of doing the rebuilds and teardowns to keep them going to reach the high mileage I thought I would be able to do.  Once you have high mileage they are worth a fraction of what I thought I would be able to get. To many people purchasing them and not riding them.  Mother HD is well aware of the type of people who purchases there product.  I will keep my bike and will do exactly what you have done. I really don't want to nor do I think I should have to do that to enjoy putting on the miles but we have to do what we have to do.  I can't take the financial losses and possible down time as it gets older.  Just want to ride, so we ride with our second choice but it's still riding.  I currently have a Yamaha FZ6 for riding solo but the plan is to save up for the long distance tourer when I can. 

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 10:28:04 PM »

Hi nudels2u75:  50 Breakdowns in 2 yrs!!! Holu chit!!! Do you not have LEMON laws in America? I have 98000 klms on my 01 Dyna with several 10000klm trips, and about to do another in Aug. I have no qualms about the reliability of this bike. It will make the trip 100% I'm sure.
I am reading up thru all the forums, as I recently got interested in the newer bikes when a friend bought a 12' CVO Streetglide. I cannot believe HD quality parts and control have dropped to these levels.
I cannot believe the constant failures that HD buyers of newer bikes have had to tolerate as "normal". None of this is normal!! I had never heard of an earlier Twin Cam twisting a crank. I drove and still drive my 01 Dyna any damned way I please, it has never overheated, has never let down anytime. I did all the mods and then some, 95" kit in second year.93hp/98t, for 2years I drove the hell out of it. Then I bolted on a Magnacharger Supercharger, that took the power level up to 125hp/125t for another two years. 160 mph at 6500rpm/12lbs boost all on pump gas. Any time I choose too!  Since 07, she's had a T124 Twin Cam 126.2/132,9t. With 29000 klms on it, its been as bulletproof as the original motor.
I believe I might have redelivered your bike back to the Harley factory in Wisconsin, and BURNT it in their parking lot with lots of gas!!
Hope someday Harley gets back to building the bikes they should be building and quit making it all about the almightl cooperate $$> All of this shows Harleys complete contempt for its customers. I'll keep my Dyna, but I'll never buy another Harley. I've been riding for 46 yrs, I never had your numbers of  trouble with all the bikes I ever owned put together. I feel for ya dude!! twinotter

SE-5

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 06:08:08 AM »

OMG, no way could I deal with that.  I would not have a bike I was afraid to take more that a hundred miles from home, and a CVO at that!  I wish you the best of luck in the future. 

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 09:38:44 AM »

Man, you have the patience of Jobe! I certainly admire that, as I have none of it. Any vehicle leaves me stranded twice, I send the SOB down the road! Best of luck to you.

justplainjim

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 09:43:38 AM »

I think twinotter nailed it.  As long as customers keep buying these overpriced, unreliable bikes that we have to put several thousand dollors into and consider all this as normal Harley will keep producing this crap..jmho

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 10:26:32 AM »

The June issue of Hot Bike has an article on the 120R.  Drop-in motor, with no frame or mount mods needed.  Goes into sufficient detail that explains the differences between it and a TC motor.

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 12:11:43 PM »

I am wondering how anyone could begin to believe that the 120R is a superior motor that will run without issue and solve ALL the problems that have plagued the Twin Cam series. They are made by the SAME cooperate Stealers that stole your money in the first place on the pretense of being "the bike to own" HD.
After spending $35000 + for a HARLEY DAVIDSON", CVO or not, these failures simply should not be occurring. This is along with faulty drive components, compensators, loose bolts, faulty wiring.
Out of curiousity,I've been searching for other brands and looking at their issues for a month now. Nowhere do I see any brand, even Hyosung and Royal Enfield (the two cheapest POS ever invented) plagued with the continuous major breakdowns that have occurred since 2003, beginning with the timken style bearing issues and plastic crankshafts (they must be plastic, even Enfield can keep their cranks together).
The answer is to get the word out to all potential customers of HD, and tell them they would be purchasing something less reliable than ANY other brand out there.
 I remember Honda having a topend oiling issue with their then new V4 (750/1100)back in '83. Failure rate was 25%. Honda recalled EVERY bike, fixed it for free on their nickel nad kept faith with every Honda and potential Honda buyer.
Nough said   twinotter

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 09:06:31 PM »

as time goes on im convinced the 110 is a problem - i have a 96 and pull a sidecar 100% of the time.

it runs perfect

i often think the 110 was just a marketing thing to compete with the 106 put out by another mfg - the 103's have been very reliable.

there are some folks saying that the 120 is more reliable than the 110. and it might be, only time will tell. still id like to know what is substantively different between a 110 and a 120??

to

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 02:01:19 AM »

I think if I had that much trouble with a bike I would get rid of it and find something else no matter how much I loved it.

hdtrader

• Full CVO Member
  • ...in the motorcycle riding business since 1964.

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7 in Electric Orange and Black Diamond accented with H-D's Big City Lights Graphics...how did the MoCo come up with a description like that?
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 09:37:28 AM »

...if I had that many problems with it I think I would wake-up and leave it in a road-side ditch.  Get rid of it...
Randy
North Alabama...the Greater Tennessee Valley

hogasm

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 01:13:58 PM »

Just inadvertently back over it with the truck :oops:......insurance claim......

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 01:24:08 PM »

Just inadvertently back over it with the truck :oops:......insurance claim......
Wouldn't that be illegal and possibly lead to your loss of freedom and ability to ride?  :confused5: :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »

Wouldn't that be illegal and possibly lead to your loss of freedom and ability to ride?  :confused5: :-\ spyder
Especially now that there is an electronic trail
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.