Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 120 CVO CRATE MOTOR  (Read 8147 times)

nudels2u75

• nudels2u
  • Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4--SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4--Traded-N-
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO LIMITED
120 CVO CRATE MOTOR
« on: April 28, 2012, 07:11:34 PM »

I currently have 75,000 miles on my 2009 Ultra Classic CVO 110, It has over 40 major breakdowns on her, I want to purchase a new motor, trying to decide which way to go with the new 120 or just stick with the 110.

Has anybody heard of anybody making this change and if so how many complications are involved, I have D&D fat cat header now, Race tuner and custom breather----will they work, I understand the the clutch, compensator, and throttle body, so I am assumming that air breather also, will my current belt drive work or does it all need to be replaced as well, and if so will it hold up to this motor....  all have to be replaced none of this bothers me, as I want all new anyway....I want a dependable motor when I am finished.

I know nothing at all about motors and will have local dealer do all work, but I would like it better if there are not to many surprises

Doe's anybody have any type of information that may help me out...
"I see the horizon and no destination in sight"

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: 120 CVO CRATE MOTOR
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 07:35:22 PM »

I currently have 75,000 miles on my 2009 Ultra Classic CVO 110, It has over 40 major breakdowns on her, I want to purchase a new motor, trying to decide which way to go with the new 120 or just stick with the 110.

Has anybody heard of anybody making this change and if so how many complications are involved, I have D&D fat cat header now, Race tuner and custom breather----will they work, I understand the the clutch, compensator, and throttle body, so I am assumming that air breather also, will my current belt drive work or does it all need to be replaced as well, and if so will it hold up to this motor....  all have to be replaced none of this bothers me, as I want all new anyway....I want a dependable motor when I am finished.

I know nothing at all about motors and will have local dealer do all work, but I would like it better if there are not to many surprises

Doe's anybody have any type of information that may help me out...

I installed a 120r motor in my 07 SEUC last winter.  It now has over 10K on it with no issues.  I installed a BTXP-14 BDL clutch kit with a VPC 92T and HPI 55mm (HPI-55MF6-18) throttle body with 5.3 injectors installed.  I already had the SE compensator and K&N high flow air cleaner element.  I use a Rev. Perf. EMS tuner.  I swapped the stock cams out to T Man 662-1 cams, but the stock 120r cams work well also.  I did my own installation - it's simple and straightforward.  Your current belt drive will work.  The FatCat will work, although you can likely squeeze more power with a Boarzilla or similar pipe.  I also replaced the stock oil cooler with a 10 row Jagg oil cooler.

http://www.aim-tamachi.com/home.php?cat=78
http://www.beltdrives.com/clutchkit.html
http://www.horsepowerinc.net/Products_Max%20Flow%20Throttle%20Bodies.htm
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 08:07:07 PM »

iam looking at thesehttp://www.revperf.com/Products/machineShop.html 113 setup  for my 110
2009 ultra black
1962 impala 409/ 4 speed /posi rear/ 2 4 barrels

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 11:11:10 PM »

40 Major breakdowns?  For what?

What is your goal and intent?  Reliability?  Performance?  You can get both from either motor......provided you have a good builder doing it (which means I'd rule out any dealership).

Wether you go with a rebuild on the 110 or a new 120r, you still need to check the crank run out and I'd make that tolerance a big priority......balancing the flywheels. 
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 11:11:37 PM »

Well, the big surprise will be finding out your dealer's mechanic might not know anything about motors either!  Maybe yours is good. Good luck.

Jesus is Lord

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 11:23:10 PM »

nudels, I'd suggest finding somebody in your area or your state (or the next state) that has a reputation for building quality performance motors and then talk to him about it. dlaws1 makes a good point most dealerships don't have much experience with anything other than Harley Davidson branded products and so that's the direction they're most likely going to steer you even if better quality (and cheaper) parts can be had by going to aftermarket parts.  That's why I suggest finding somebody (even if you have to travel......in the long run, it'll be worth it to you) that has a reputation for building reliable, quality performance motors. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

nudels2u75

• nudels2u
  • Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 08:09:23 PM »

OIL Pump, compression release blew out of rear head, compensator sprocket and chain has been replaced at least 5 times, cam were replaced do to some wierd groves in them. clutch at least 5 times including clutch basket a few times, top end rebuilt 3 times last year including new heads, complete new wireing harness, throttle body left me on the side of the freeway at least 50 times, this is just to list a few items as I can not recall all of them, I would have to look back thru all of the shop tickets.

The biggest problem that I have seen is there is a NATIONWIDE EPIDEMIC OF HARLEY DAVIDSON MECHANICS AT THE STEALERSHIPS THAT HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF MOTOR WORK.... I do not know much about motors but I do feel most of the mechanicale problems I have had were created by shotty service work, as I have traveled...

I currently have a bolt that was over torqued at the stealership (behind compensator sprocket between inner primary and the block) So one of the block screws were over torqued and there is not enough meat in the casing to add a helicoil...A shop installed something that is supposed to be better than a helicoil but it was not very effective, The only fix is to replace casing (BLOCK) If I have to spend $5,000.00 to rebuild motor I would rather just spend it to have new crate motor installed....Stealership will not cover it because it was over 90 days before we figured out where all of the motor oil was being forced into the primary....Corporate will not cover it because they are saying it is mechanics fault...Extendid warranaty will not cover because they say it was also due to the mechanics....

I just want to get a new motor and never have to take it back to stealership again...I have a good Harley Davidson speed shop that is going to do the work after I figure out which crate motor to go with...

Just checking to make sure of any or all complications with installing the 120R on this 2009 Ultra classic CVO

I really appreciate all of the imput good or bad....thanks Nudels

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 08:47:45 PM »

Call S&S, order a new motor, and ask them what mechanic in your area they recommend to work on it.  That's my plan when my motor is toast.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 09:55:28 PM »

bummer

that list sounds exactly like keeping my 77 fl running for two years of 80,000 miles - but there was a set of oversize pistons, a complete rebuild of the trans. etc. during that two years. mainly the valve guides would gum up, the valves would start sticking - take it all apart - fix - put all back together again

sold it when i was told that the next time i stuck the valves i would need new heads as they didnt make large enough guides to make them stay in......

sux

good luck

back then the guys with the least trouble were running huge cubes - tuned very mild, mild cams, low compression, 96" shovels. one guy with a sidecar bike i knew was running a 103 shovel with ~~ 7~ to 1 compression & a stock cam. it ran pretty good and he was not having to do any work to it. chugged along, well mannered, started real easy.

to

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 09:52:16 AM »

Call S&S, order a new motor, and ask them what mechanic in your area they recommend to work on it.  That's my plan when my motor is toast.

S&S doesn't make a motor that will bolt into a twin cam bike... 
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 11:48:54 AM »

OIL Pump, compression release blew out of rear head, compensator sprocket and chain has been replaced at least 5 times, cam were replaced do to some wierd groves in them. clutch at least 5 times including clutch basket a few times, top end rebuilt 3 times last year including new heads, complete new wireing harness, throttle body left me on the side of the freeway at least 50 times, this is just to list a few items as I can not recall all of them, I would have to look back thru all of the shop tickets.

The biggest problem that I have seen is there is a NATIONWIDE EPIDEMIC OF HARLEY DAVIDSON MECHANICS AT THE STEALERSHIPS THAT HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF MOTOR WORK.... I do not know much about motors but I do feel most of the mechanicale problems I have had were created by shotty service work, as I have traveled...

I currently have a bolt that was over torqued at the stealership (behind compensator sprocket between inner primary and the block) So one of the block screws were over torqued and there is not enough meat in the casing to add a helicoil...A shop installed something that is supposed to be better than a helicoil but it was not very effective, The only fix is to replace casing (BLOCK) If I have to spend $5,000.00 to rebuild motor I would rather just spend it to have new crate motor installed....Stealership will not cover it because it was over 90 days before we figured out where all of the motor oil was being forced into the primary....Corporate will not cover it because they are saying it is mechanics fault...Extendid warranaty will not cover because they say it was also due to the mechanics....

I just want to get a new motor and never have to take it back to stealership again...I have a good Harley Davidson speed shop that is going to do the work after I figure out which crate motor to go with...

Just checking to make sure of any or all complications with installing the 120R on this 2009 Ultra classic CVO

I really appreciate all of the imput good or bad....thanks Nudels

And was all this work done by the same dealership that you plan on having do the work this time?

West Coast GTG   

nudels2u75

• nudels2u
  • Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 05:24:09 PM »

All of the work was done @ several different stealerships throughout the United States, Most of the work after 50,000 miles was done here in Texas at the same stealership....After 40,000 miles I quit taking her on roadtrips over 100 miles, I was sick and tired setting on the side of the road or in a motel waiting on parts to come in....For the amount of money that HD Warrananty has spent on this motor they could have replaced it 3-4 times at least....

No I will never take a bike back to any stealerships only independent shops that I know....After you get out from under Harley Davidson warranaty you can take your scooter to any HD authorized independent shop for extended warranaty work....

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 07:07:08 PM »

I think I would develop anxiety and panic attacks for that many breakdowns.  Have over 50k miles on an 08 SERK with just a few minor issues, but I will have to agree that the return problems were due to Dealership related issues.  How could you ever plan a trip without thoughts of a breakdown ruining your passin to ride?  Hope you find a quick solution to your problems and get to enjoy riding. Life is way to short to go through that many negative situations.  You are one patient dude, you can consider a new motor but not being as patient as you I would have to take a break from HD and go to the Darkside for awhile, but that's just me, I'm a rider and my loyalties are to whatever my but is on at the time.

nudels2u75

• nudels2u
  • Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »

I tottally agree....I have 3 HD and last year got so sick of being down all of the time, I bit the bullet and went down and purchased a 2010 Honda Goldwing, All Loaded out with all of the travel necessitties, All of my trips are taken on this now....

I still love my HD's I will never sell any of them, I just wish they made them more dependable....As I average over 1,000 miles per week, I just do not feel they were made for people like me, who love to travel as much as I do....

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 12:23:03 PM »

So, getting back to the 120R, there is a great thread on here by one member who took the 120R completely apart to inspect it right from the crate(can't remember if it was Steve from Fulsac or not) and I found it to be very eyeopening but I think well worth the time and should have a strong, dependable running motor. Even for the cost of the motor and tearing it down to do some cleaning and fine tuning by a qualified and reputable mechanic it would be a good choice. Maybe search "120R" and you'll find a lot of info.
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 24 queries.